1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In retrospect: Should we have taken Parsons' option?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardLin, Jul 10, 2014.

?

Should we have taken Parsons' option?

Poll closed Jul 17, 2014.
  1. Yes

116 vote(s)
    53.7%
  2. No

100 vote(s)
    46.3%
  1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You can't use the term in retrospect while something is still playing out.

2. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

played by Cuban, nah he just is looking to improve his team like all managers are

it doesn't matter where they are from, just 1 of 30 teams

3. Asian Sensation

We should've traded his ass for Rondo while the deal was on the table. Then sign Tucker, Ariza, Deng or Carter and if we landed Bosh we could've contended for sure. Now everything is mother****ed whether we match or lose him. It's a lose-lose situation.

The good news is if all else fails we'll have cap room and an open position for Durantula. Sucks to wait another year though.

4. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

Want to reiterate that making parsons RFA has two benefits in the first place:

1) Reward chandler for his recruitment effort for the team, for being a consummate professional. I think there is a WINK WINK deal in place where rockets have communicated with parsons and his agent on letting him out a year earlier. However it appears we got screwed by the fact that LBGHEY is so slow in making his decisions and apparently parsons going for his max dollars with another team.

2) The other benefit is the TRADE VALUE it presents for parsons as a trade chip in case we have a shot at love. with parsons dangling on a 1 yr minimum deal, lets just say that parson's trade value would have been extremely low. Making him a RFA is a sorta of calculated move that maximize our FLEXIBILITY in the future, something the rockets value highly of. But we have seen Cuban or parson's camp negating this part by adding in a TRADE KICKER into the deal, which once again back-fired on Morey.

This second reason is often overlooked by people on this board. Making him a RFA opens up more flexibility, which is needed because it was UNCERTAIN that we would be getting one of these Tier 1 FA. That is why Morey did it.

Hindsight is BS, it is obvious we LOST the gamble in retrospect. But it was a calculated gamble Morey decided to take on.

5. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Ultimately we have control over where Parsons will be for this season and the next. If we declined, we would have control for only one more season. If you think having him for 2014-2015 is such a big deal, what about 2015-2016? As it stands, the choice is ours.

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Last I checked free agency started about 5 hours ago and is FAR from over.

I will reserve judgement until game 1 of the season and see what we are working with.

7. JD88

JD88 Member

Match his offer then use him as trade bait for Love with NO pick

8. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Should I vote using the thread title or the poll title? I don't know what to do!!!

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Nothing Ventured. . . Nothing Gained

Rocket River

10. Fantasma Negro

If we didn't let him out his option, we wouldn't be able to match next summer

11. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I honestly think he declined it as part of an agreement and appreciation for his recruiting efforts with D12. Probably happened when parsons switched to D12s agent.

12. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Yes cuz in Morey we trust.LOL

13. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

A players "max" is based on years of service and previous years salary. The max for Parsons was right around $15 million a season. Dallas offered him the most money they could per the CBA. it was a "max" offer.

14. Garner

Garner Member

This is the definition of a knee jerk thread.

How about everyone let's this play out before we make judgement?

15. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

It's hard to blame Morey for not having powers of clairvoyance. But at the time, I only thought it was a risky move, not a bad one.

Risky moves sometimes don't work out, and thus far, it's looking like this move won't work out.

Parsons can ball, no doubt, but in no way should an excellent role player take up 25% of your total salary cap. Bosh, sure and obviously H&H, but an ideal lineup would be a big 3 getting the max each, and then a slew of young and veteran old players getting between 2 - 6 mil each. That's essentially the model that Miami followed to great success, and now OKC to a larger degree.

Had we declined Parsons' contract, and we can offer the full max to Bosh then we're talking Howard/Bosh/Parsons/Harden/Bev. Next year we can pay Parsons whatever he likes, and if he leaves out of spite, then we sign another role player for the MLE, pick up some talented vets who wanna play with our superstars and roll the dice again.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

So in retrospect if you know you're going to lose Parsons would you rather keep Parsons?

1 person likes this.
  17. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Of course it was a mistake. I thought it was when we did it and with this offer sheet from Dallas it is obvious. The only way it wasn't going to be a mistake is if you had an agreement with Parsons on a deal where he would wait to sign and allow the Rockets to renounce matching rights while they signed someone else. They could have agreed to the deal months ago. Instead Morey played games and let him act like an RFA and go find his deal. It backfired in the worst way possible in term, structure, and timing.

The only way to salvage this is get a deal for Bosh on a S&T with the Heat and sign Ariza or Deng with cap room at a much better figure. Of course that still means you have lost assets you shouldn't have in the Bosh deal. What seems likely to me at this point is we miss out on all FAs of note and we let Parsons walk in 3 days. That probably means you keep Jeremy Lin with the hopes of a Love trade but that the team is likely significantly worse off after all this.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

No we can't, and that's the whole reason we let him become an RFA now.

19. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

If Parsons plays for us this next year again, it will be his fourth under the Rockets. We would have his bird rights, and sign him despite being over the cap, no?

20. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

It was a good decision to let Parsons be a RFA. It gave the Rockets the most control of the situation instead having to worry about Parsons being an unrestrictive free agent.

I don't think anyone would have betted on the Mavericks to offer Parsons the max deal or Parsons to accept without the Rockets getting their 3rd star player. But once Gordon Hayward got the max, the possibility opened up that Parsons could receive the same offer as well. And of course, it's obvious that Cuban signed Parsons in part to screw us over.

I'm still hurt that Parsons took the deal. I thought he and Morey already had a number figured out and were just waiting on Bosh to sign before signing their own deal. And the fact that's it's to the Mavericks just makes it worst. Anyone but the Maverick and Jazz, Chandler! Surely you've been a Rockets long enough to know the hatred between us and them. But there was probably a timetable on the deal and I can't fault Parsons for taking the money but it's still very disappointing.

The Rockets were going to take care of him but this move was kind of a slap in the face.

Honestly, I don't know if I want to match. Parson's value should be at 10m/year and I was ready to give him 12m/year but 15m/year, a player option and a trade kicker? That's not a good deal at all. I'm more tempted to let the Mavericks have him and that contract be their problem.

If Cuban wants to ***** with us, let them ***** themselves!