1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In-Depth Look at the Playoff Race

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Sydeffect, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Jags beating the Giants . . . just made me sigh.

Rocket River

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nice to be even talking playoffs, with a proper QB this team would be leading the division right now.

DD

3. SuraGotMadHops

I like it Sil
    [​IMG]

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Exactly. . . ..
    this is a 'throwaway' year

Rocket River

5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

there is a scenario in which we could make the playoffs at 9-7... all that has to happen is the Ravens, Bills, Dolphins, Steelers, Bengals, Browns and Chargers all have to go 9-7 also.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We're gonna run the table.

Book that.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I honestly dont think it's that far fetched. If the OLine continues it's solid play, Fitz can make enough plays to keep us in it. BOB doing a great job calling the plays too...just need to keep opening up that playbook and being aggressive on offense.

8. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Texans aren't making the playoffs save yourself the disappointment

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

we got the jags twice, worst case we should end up 8-8 and best case 10-6. we'll probably end up in the middle at 9-7 and just miss out.

that said as soon as we take that 7th loss we should just tank the rest of the games. savage becomes the starter no ifs/ands/buts.

#89 ipaman, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  10. Sajan

Sajan Member

lolz.

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

All those teams have to play each other and beat one another up...or play tough teams. Its very unlikely that 2 of those teams even gets to 10 wins. 1 of them will probably hit 10 wins. Therefore, if we win out, the odds of us making the playoffs are very high. And the fact that we could get in with 9 wins is at least plausible...in that scenario, we would have to get the W against Baltimore and lose to Colts. If we beat Colts but lose to Baltimore, we're out.

We have to hope for Cincy and Pitt to basically win as much as possible going forward...

Pitt has to play Cincy, Atlanta, KC, Cincy
    SD has to play NE, Denver, SF, and KC
    KC has to play Arizona, Oakland, Pitt, and SD
    Baltimore has to play Miami, Jax, Houston, Cleveland
    Miami has to play Baltimore, NE, Minnesota, NYJ

Baltimore has the easiest schedule of the bunch, but that's where we have some control over our own destiny (or theirs) since we have a chance to beat them.

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

"As foolish as it sounds, I don't think the division is out of reach. They still have to play: at Cleveland, at Dallas, and at Tennessee. With a home game vs. the Texans in-between Cle and Dallas. Wouldn't be a shock for them to lose 2-3 of those four and..."

Lol, yeah no. I was about to try and make this argument but I couldn't even convince myself. :grin:

I'll be happy if they can just take a game at Indy for the first time and stay in contention through Week 17.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The Texans, should they maintain their season course, will lose to the Colts and Ravens and finish 8-8. It will take a couple of their best games of the season for the Texans to win out. Unlikely, but anything can happen I suppose. Realistically, the Texans have not shown thus far that they are capable of doing it, not even flashes of brilliance against good teams. They've only shown that they can beat up on bad teams.

14. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

there's just one major speed bump....Indy. I don't care who we have at QB, or how great the Oline plays. Luck is going to destroy our secondary. i think we need to root for Indy against CLE b/c CLE is ahead of us. our best bet is the WC.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know about that, Luck is prone to turnovers be it the interception or the fumble. While he lit us up in the first quarter in the first game against them, the team largely shut him down after that leading to the almost comeback. If the Texans can finally figure out how to defend TY Hilton and Fitz has a decent to good game, then the Texans have a chance.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is probably what's going to happen.

That being said, beating up on bad teams is something we weren't able to do last year. We were swept by jacksonville, for crying out loud.

This team is not a finished product yet. Although a win against Baltimore and/or the colts would be amazingly fun, 8-8 one year after 2-14 would still be a major improvement. Especially when you consider that BOB took over a team that had gone 3-17 over it's last 20 regular season games.

We still have problems, but I think we're on the right track and BOB is doing a nice job of changing the culture - which was really the whole point of this season.

17. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

1. Chargers: 8-4
    They have brutal schedule Pats and Broncos at home and finish with 49ers and Cheifs on the road. They could easily go 1-3 and finish 9-7

2. Chiefs: 7-5
    @Cardinals (who have Seattle breathing down their necks)
    @Steelers
    Raiders and Chargers at home
    2-2 and they are 9-7

3. Bengals 8-3-1
    Their jekyl and hyde performance continues Dalton just isnt reliable...Their play down the stretch may help us get in.
    They have to play the Steelers twice (once at home and once on the road)
    @Browns and Denver at home
    We need them to go at least 3-1 for us to have a chance against the Steelers

4. Steelers 7-5
    We need this team to go 2-2 or worse. They have a difficult stretch as well.
    The Bengals once at home and once on the road
    @Falcons (still a tough place to play and they are 1st in their division with NO right behind)
    Chiefs at home

5. Browns 7-5
    If they beat the Colts next weekend, our game vs the Colts becomes much more meaningful. If they go 3-1, we have the tie breaker ( Home: Colts and Bengals; Road: Panthers and Ravens)

6. Dolphins: 7-5
    Have an easy schedule (Home: Ravens, Vikings, and Jets Road: Pats)
    Tough game vs Pats, but they get to play the Ravens next week at their house. That is a huge huge huge game for both teams. Dolphins have been playing better ball though
    I expect them to get in the playoffs

7. Texans
    Just go out there and win every game...very few scenario's exist if you are 9-7 to get into the playoffs. 10-6 and they are in. Two games vs the Jags and two playoff caliber teams in the Colts and Ravens.

Fun weekend of football coming up. Hope the Texans dont let up and demolish the Jags early and often. I want a meaningful Colts game!
    Week 14 critical games:
    IND @Cle
    NE @Chargers
    Pit @Cincy

Go Browns, Pats and Bengals...and of course Go Houston!!!

18. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

Have the opportunity to go to my first game this year. I would rather it be on the road, since I have never done that. Would you all choose JAX next week (cheaper tickets for better seats and a higher chance of victory) or IND the week after (more expensive for worse seats and a lower chance of victory, but way more meaningful)??

19. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

yes, he is prone to turnovers but they're negated by clutch play and TD passes. the texans offense can't keep up with him. the defense will need to give the offense short fields. and the TExans better put 7 instead 3 on the board each time.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Texans showed that they could put up points on the Colts, the defense just dug too deep of a hole in the first quarter. Better play by the defense is all that would have had to happen to make that a W