1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In case you thought Artest had changed, think again (ESPN)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by pacertom, Aug 16, 2006.

1. pacertom

pacertom Member

Tick, tick, tick goes the time bomb...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2551458

Artest defends brawl actions during community service

Associated Press

DETROIT -- Ron Artest, talking to children as part of his community service sentence, defended his actions in one of the worst brawls in U.S. sports history.

"Someone started trouble and I ended it," Artest told about 50 children Wednesday at a panel on black empowerment at the Judge Mathis Community Center. "I would always encourage you to protect yourself but in certain situations, if you can avoid them, avoid them."

Artest was at the center of the November 2004 brawl at a Detroit Pistons game. It started when Artest, then with the Indiana Pacers, fouled Pistons center Ben Wallace late in a blowout game.

As the confrontation on the court appeared to calm down, a fan hit Artest, who was lying on the scorer's table, with a cup. Artest charged into the stands and threw punches, along with teammate Stephen Jackson.

Pistons fan John Green was convicted of punching Artest but was found not guilty of throwing a drink on the player.

"I like John Green, he's real," Artest said. "I don't have any problems with John Green. He did something really stupid but a lot of people do stupid things. God forgives, so I'm forgiving too."

But Artest, who now plays for the Sacramento Kings, said he really doesn't think about that night in The Palace of Auburn Hills.

"It's so over. That night has been so far over, I really don't have any thoughts on it," he said.

Artest, Jackson and several teammates were sentenced to one-year probation after pleading no contest to misdemeanor assault charges. All were ordered to perform community service, which Artest is scheduled to do in the Detroit area through Sunday.

Artest spoke about his upbringing in a broken home and how past drug dealing almost landed him in jail. He said he started getting into trouble after his parents divorced when he was 13.

"I was very sad and I always wished they got back together, but they're not," Artest said. "If that happens to anybody, you have to worry about yourself. You can't worry about your parents at that time, because obviously they aren't thinking about you, they're thinking about themselves."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so he's a thug for talking about what started the brawl and about forgiving others?

3. pacertom

pacertom Member

he things he did nothing wrong and is ready to forgive the fans who did.

He is looney tunes.

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

survey says: way out of context. nice try, though.

5. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

I don't think he should be saying this to kids though. But I guess I can't relate so I don't know.

6. rockingsoul

rockingsoul Contributing Member

WTF, is it just me, or the second post of this thread (the advertisement) has that stupid dirk-face picture? LMAO

7. Agent86

Agent86 Contributing Member

Ok so what should he have done then and what should have said now

dont take after me kids if someone throws a cup of beer at you just run away :rolleyes:

8. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

I can't believe Ben Wallace didn't charge into the crowd and beat Artest down. After all wasn't the crowd taking up for big Ben? :D I think Big Ben saw how Krazy Artest was and said," I don't want any part of that dude."

9. superden

superden Contributing Member

I don't know if that was that bad...

10. tested911

tested911 Member

7 Words

I still want him on this team! :)

11. blackistan

blackistan Member

hell ye and about artest he always keeps it real

12. North Star

North Star Contributing Member

I don't blame Artest for doing what he did in Detroit. I would not want someone throwing stuff at me and I'm sure you would not want someone throwing stuff at you too. Does it really matter if he is sorry for what he did? No because he paid for it heavily. That's all that matters.

13. g1184

g1184 Member

I was thinking the same thing. I think it might be a misrepresented thought though - Artest didn't put the words together the right way to correctly convey what he meant (I hope). I think what he means is that parents, out of guilt, let their kids get away with murder when they're going through a divorce, and in a way, quit parenting or being parents (reprimanding them for bad behavior, etc). I think that's what he meant by "they aren't thinking about you," because allowing your kid to go astray really isn't thinking about his or her future. OR, I completely misconstrued this and Artest really is psycho. I've never met his parents, I don't know.

14. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

May be that's because he wasn't in the wrong for defending himself?

The NBA punishment not withstanding, he had every right to go after the jerk who threw a drink at him.

Artest has certainly done/said some 'looney' things, the brawl -- however -- was not one of them, IMO. It's completely understandable how it came about, he served his punishment for it (professionally, that is), and we move on...

However, if it makes you feel any better about the fact that the Pacers traded a superstar and got nothing in return, then be my guest.

15. munco

munco Member

i don't know what the original poster is talking about. this has been Artest's stance pretty much the whole time.

Artest made the wrong choice, but i can still understand his actions.

16. pacertom

pacertom Member

Why was he taling to the kids?

Artest was sentenced by a judge to community service to make amends for assaulting Detroit fans. Sure he was provoked, but this contact with the kids was exactly this: a punishment for criminal behavior.

I would think that AT MINIMUM he would be quiet about the brawl. Instead he announces to all these kids that he is completely blameless, yes he didn't even make a mistake, and suggests to them that they should do the same thing in his situation. The Detroit fans, in his opinion, were the only ones who did anything wrong, but bring the man he is, Ron will forgive them. :rolleyes:

I guess that he didn't get the chance to try to explain away his many other suspensions for flagrant fouls, for "conduct detrimental to the team", for missing practices and being late for a team flight to a playoff game, for refusing to cooperate with the Pacers and the NBA in their request that he get mental health treatment, for asking for time off from an NBA season to promote a CD, and for demanding a trade and then being suspended from a team who stuck by him after a 72 game suspension.

How many years do you have to go back before you find a season in which Ron has not been suspended? 5?

Sacramento has themsleves a real gem here. Tick, tick, tick.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Artest also claimed, in an interview with German online sports site sport1.de, that he is a better player than Dirk Nowitzki.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Ron Ron is a nutcase nutcase. He is the kind of guy that seems destined for a tragedy of some sort. His lack of self-control and his distance from reality are scary. Any team that signs him to a long term high dollar contract is crazy.

19. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

He's a better player than Nowitzki. He impacts the game more.

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I don't think he should be saying anything to kids. Is this community service supposed to be punishing Artest or the kids?