1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In case the Ming deal falls through, would you do this trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hottoddie, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I believe that the Rockets will ultimately take Ming, but until the draft, I'm going to continue to explore other options. So, all of you that are obssessed with getting Ming don't need to bother telling me that he's the only option.

Houston sends Rice/#1 to the Clippers.
    Houston sends KT/#15 to Miami.

The Clippers send Odom/Maggette/Dooling to Miami.
    The Clippers send #8/#12/next year's #1 pick to Houston.

Miami sends Jones/#10 to Houston.

The picks might need to be juggled around a bit.

Miami drops $4 mill in salary & acquires KT/Odom/Maggette/Dooling/#15 pick. That's a pretty good start to their rebuilding program & puts a nice nucleus of players around Zo.

The Clippers get their PG in Williams, while giving up 2 players & 2 draft picks that they've already stated they would trade for JW. The #1 pick for next year might be a reach, but if you don't ask, you won't get it. Jaric will replace Dooling on the roster.

We could move Jones (6'6") to the SF position, thus filling that hole & acquire 3 top 12 picks. I would also try to get the Clippers #1 pick next year thrown in. That would all depend upon how badly they wanted JW.

With the #8/#10/#12 picks, I'd draft:

#8) Borchardt or Tskitishvili
    #10) Woods/Welsch
    #12) Welsch/Rush/Stoudemire

If all went as planned my new & very young team would be:

C: Cato/Borchardt?/Collier
    PF: Taylor/Griffin/Tskitishvili?/Stoudemire?
    SF: Jones/Woods?/T-Mo
    SG: Mobley/Rush?/Torres
    PG: Francis/Welsch/Moochie

That lineup would allow me to make future trades that could (but, not necessarily) involve one or more of Moochie/Mobley/Francis/Taylor. Welsch as a 6'6" PG with great decision making, ballhandling, & defensive skills really intrigues me. How about a guard combo of Rush (6'6") & Welsch (6'6") on the floor?

What do you think? Would you do it?

2. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

The Rockets don't get enough. Eddie Jones isn't as good as he used to be.

3. a-rock

a-rock Member

trade taylor instead of rice to the clippers and grant instead of jones....dunno if this trade would work cap-wise.

4. Major

Major Member

A couple of weeks ago, we started with Odom for the #1.... then Odom and the #12, then Odom and the #8, then Odom and the #8 and #12. Then Odom/Olawakandi/8/12 for the #1. Now we're up to 6 players/picks for the #1 (and Glen Rice!!).

I would wait 2 more weeks. At that point, the Clippers will be trading their entire team for Jay Williams. :D

5. Hottoddie

While he might not be as good as he once was, he's still putting up similar numbers to Mobley & he plays a lot better defense than both of our guards & our current SF's. If we're able to land a young SF like Woods, Jeffries, or Nachbar, then we can groom them to replace Jones eventually. Here's the link to his stats over the years:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/eddie_jones/index.html?nav=page

You're most probably, not going to get a better deal than Jones/#8/#10/#12/Clippers #1 next year, while dumping Rice's contract. However, I could be wrong.

6. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

You can get better than that come 2 days before the draft, but regardless, yes Eddie is a superb defender, but he has been slipping a little bit since joining the Heat. He also needs to be the MAIN offensive player to score more than 16-17 points. He can't play third fiddle to Francis and Mobes.

7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I agree with NYKRule. People were complaining about the same deal with Odom in Jones place. I like Odom, but he isn't as talented as Jones. I'd rather take Odom then Eddie Jones.

8. Hottoddie

What sort of better deal could you envision us getting?

9. Hottoddie

The trade would work cap wise, but the problem is, that Taylor burned his bridges when he left the Clippers. There's no way that they would take him back.

While I'm reluctant to trade Taylor (because I feel that he'll be an integral part of the team), I can modify the trade & include Taylor in it. Here goes:

Houston sends Rice/#1 to the Clippers.
    Houston sends Taylor/#15 to Miami.

The Clippers send Odom/Maggette/Dooling to Miami.
    The Clippers send #8/#12/next year's #1 pick to Houston.

Miami sends Jones/Ellis/#10 to Houston.

Thus, giving us a lineup of:

C: Cato/Borchardt?/Collier
    PF: Griffin/KT/Tskitishvili?/Stoudemire?
    SF: Jones/Woods?/Ellis/T-Mo
    SG: Mobley/Rush?/Torres
    PG: Francis/Welsch/Moochie

Ellis has a team option after next year which we could refuse to pick up, thus making him an unrestricted FA. That trade also allows us to drop about $1.8 mill off the books. If we could keep #15 & pick up Stoudemire with it, that'd be a sweet lineup for the future. However, they would take a year or two to mature together.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i like eddie jones but as a two-guard. jones is not what we need as a 3 and at that position is far-far behind odom.

11. Hottoddie

12. Stevie Francis

ummmmmmmmmmm. I don't like it.:p

13. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

I don't think Houston gets enough. With all the hype I'm hearing about Ming, Houston isn't getting enough.

Stern has to say enough is enough. The NBA cannot be run like a third class playground where players pick whom they play with. If Ming tells the Rockets no, then the NBA should tell Ming no NBA for you for life.

The NBA has to stand behind the Rockets on this for the dignity of the league. Like Stern said Ming has other options, like Europe.