1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Improvement by addition or stability?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Joe Joe, Jun 5, 2001.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Will the rockets be able to improve more by keeping the current roster and only filling needs through the draft or by bringing in a hired gun?

I think it would be possible to add depth to the frontcourt by drafting one of the centers (Woods, KJ, Collins) and one of the SFs (White, Jefferson, Wallace, Morris). I don't see the Rockets keeping three rookies on active roster.

This would give you

Hakeem Cato Collier draft pick
    Mo KT Bullard Rogers
    Draft pick Mobley Walt Langhi
    Mobley Francis Colson
    Francis Moochie

This team would only depend on needing one rookie or Langhi to perform well and Cato wouldn't be the starter. As long as Hakeem, cato, and Collier don't get hurt all at the same time again, KT won't have to play center. The Rockets got mopped up when the centers went down last year.

Olajuwon would give the Drafted Center time to get acclimated to the NBA before production is needed consistently.

If the rockets got a hired gun (Webber will be used as an example, but others would create similar problems)..Hakeem, Rogers, and Mo join SA exrockets.

Cato Draft pick/Collier
    Webber KT Bull???(cap space)
    Draft pick Mobley Walt Langhi
    Mobley Francis Colson
    Francis Moochie

This team would easily be able to put the best five men on the court, but there are problems. It will take time for the team to gel. Cato's injury problems scare me. Two draft picks would have to be impact players or the rockets will have to depend on walt, Langhi and Collier.

82+ games is a lot of games to play with such an inexperienced cast of centers.

Now the point, the rockets need a good draft with the cap space casualties or adding Webber won't help them in the playoffs. I think last year's team is a lock in the playoffs this year with more consistency, less Anderson, less Walt, and one young player stepping up.

Three guard with Webber would be fun to watch!

------------------

2. lived

lived Member

After so reading so many posts, it seems that our problems of deciding who to draft stem from the lack of knowledge of
    1) whether Hakeem will be back (likely not)
    and 2) how good Langhi and Collier will be.

Assuming we don't trade and stick to the 3 picks:
    We're definately in it for a SF and I say we'll tab Terence Morris with #23.

Now with the higher picks, we're looking at a C and a backup PF. Everyones saying that we should go for Woods, but in the scenario where Hakeem leaves, that would make Woods our backup C behind Cato. Notice I've left out Collier, that's cos I havent' seen enuf of his game to include a fair judgement. Although I'm inclined to leave Cato out of this and start Collier with Woods as a backup, Woods would probably have the heart to produce more than ole chunky.

I think the PF spot is pretty enough. Mo T and KT basically provides enough. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is C Rogers confirmed to be leaving? If he's not, then RT really needs to give the boy more minutes.

So with the 3rd pick, we're looking at a solid player to either shore up the SG or a split between the SG/SF position. That would take the load off Cat abit, and so Francis can get longer breathers. Again, based on popularity, We're looking is Jefferson?? or Johnson??

With these 3 draft picks, NO Webber, NO Hakeem, the team would probably improve from this year, since the core is intact, but I wouldn't expect a strong push into the playoffs, maybe 2nd round.

Comparing to the other western teams, Dallas is still better than us, and I'm not sure if we could pull 4 over Utah. we could split with Minn, take 1 from Phoenix. Claim 4 over Portland if we're lucky. But we're screwed against the Lakers and Spurs, unless Wink's heroics can conjure up some magic again next year.

------------------
    Do not harm little children!

3. MManal

MManal Member

Its possible that last yr's team with the addition of Robert Horry and a couple of draft picks would make the playoffs. I would guess about the 7th or 8th seed.

However, the following scenario is what I would like the Rockets to gun for, and it is doable.

Woods/Collier/Cato
    Webber/KT
    Horry/Morris/Langhi
    Mobley
    Francis/Moochie

I think that team right there would surpass Utah in the standings and be a top 5 seed in the West. I wouldnt be shocked if that ballclub passed Dallas as well next season. Plus, there would still be about 3 mil in left over cap room to add any veteran components to the frontline if necessary.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

MManal,

I would like the Rocks to move up to get Woods, also. Some people have him dropping to #13...I know this is a good draft, but that's far considering he's a center with skills.

I would like to see Woods play PF some his first year to give him time to adjust to the more physical play.

------------------

5. MManal

MManal Member

I think considering the depth of this draft, there is a pretty good chance that Woods will be on the board at 13th. The main team I am concerned about is Seattle who picks just before the Rockets. I dont think they would take Woods b/c McMillan wants a rough and rugged type player but anything is possible.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

6. DJ

DJ Member

Joe Joe, how come you would resign Sean Colson over Shandon Anderson?

------------------

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

DJ,

Less Money and I feel Shandon wants out. I don't think he fits well, unless he's willing to play backup at the two cheaply behind Mobley and Francis. He opted out so I doubt this.

------------------