1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Important Francis Issue

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GotGame15, Nov 24, 2001.

Tags:
  1. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

Please give me some responses on this one. Now that Francis has gotten Plantar Fasciatis will this hinder his "hops"??? Now listen, Rice has had this for a long time and it has severly decreased his explosiveness and dunking ability.

Is this injury that Francis has going to be with him throughout his career? Cuz if it is(may God forbid), I don't think that we will be seeing anymore freakish highlight reel dunks from him anymore.:( :( :(

2. neXXes

neXXes Member

Go back to the thread on Plantar Fasciatis a couple of days back... I think it is supposed to be "easily curable" according to the site in the 2nd post in the thread.

3. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Which raises the questions (purely hypothetical):

Would you rather never see Steve dunk & cross, or win a title?

:( :( :(

4. harumph

harumph Member

A title any day!!! That's what it's all about. Highlights matter to ESPN, titles matter to fans (from my high horse)

5. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Slam Magizine just came out with a special issue that lists the top 50 dunkers of all-time. They ranked Carter 1st and Wink 18th.

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Since I don't read Slam Magazine, could you please tell me if any of the following players were in the Top 50?

Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, James Worthy, Robert Parish, Kevin McHale, Larry Bird, Isaiah Thomas, Joe Dumars, Adrian Dantley, Tim Duncan or Hakeem Olajuwon?

Just curious.

#6 GATER, Nov 26, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2001
  7. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

GATER, i believe he was referring to the 50 greatet DUNKERS of all-time. Although everyone on your list is or will be a hall-of-famer, i seriously doubt any of those mentioned are known as high-flying dunkers.

8. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Well, Kareem JaBlunt was, back in the day. He claimed in one of his books that the NCAA outlawed dunking in college while he played because of him, similar to the way they widened the lane because of Wilt Chamberlain's dominance. So I would assume that he could rock the rim - although he was more famed for the skyhook.

9. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

You missed my subtle point. I didn't expect any of them to be on "dunkers list",but they all have championship rings (with the possible exception of Dantley - not sure if he was with Thomas & Dumars @ Detroit).

My point was/is that I don't care whether Steve Francis ever even competes in another slam dunk contest as long as he recognizes what the ultimate goal is. ;)

My comment was meant to be a little sarcastic. I never post in these kind of threads which only deal with a very narrow aspect of the game. There's probably some 17 year old on the streets of NY or Chicago or Detroit or LA or even Houston who can jump higher than Vince Carter. So what?

Steve's high flying antics will get him on the IR long before it gets him to the NBA Finals. The comment was born out of my current frustration with the Rockets only using their athleticism in attempting to improve their game.

The most important muscles in basketball are not the legs...it's the one between your ears! (Observe how many of the players I mentioned have also been successful after their playing careers ended).

I'm leaving the pulpit now and won't be returning any time soon. :)

#9 GATER, Nov 26, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2001