1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Impeachment???

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by cml750, Nov 6, 2018.

?

Impeach Trump?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Interesting... after "exoneration" and all...

Support for impeaching Trump rises: poll
    https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/443017-support-for-impeaching-trump-rises-poll

quikkag and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

3. edwardc

edwardc Member

Very good point's 1-10 now the big question is when will the other 2 branches of the government do there job.

FranchiseBlade and quikkag like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"This is how movements start."

5. NewRoxFan

Justin Amash, republican congressman...

6. NewRoxFan

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

"The Impeachment War is Heating Up." Excerpt:

So what’s holding Pelosi back? Keep in mind that the Speaker has been knocking around Washington politics for a long time. A very long time. And she knows how this game is played. She’s seized the Speaker’s gavel twice now and the political highway is littered with the figurative corpses of those who went up against her. Some of the younger Democrats might want to keep that in mind.

Pelosi has two answers at her disposal, one for public consumption and one she’d probably rather not talk about. The convenient talking point is to say that starting any sort of action on impeachment would distract from the party’s issue messaging, along with that of their various primary candidates. They don’t want to be seen as the party that’s just out to “get Trump.” They want to talk about the issues and offer solutions. It’s really not a bad point to make, assuming she can get the rank and file to go along with it.

But underneath that marketing strategy, Pelosi knows this game well enough that a more pressing explanation is lurking. Trying to remove Donald Trump from office via impeachment would fail spectacularly and would paint the Democrats as a vindictive bunch of sore losers. And it could very well hand President Trump a second term on a silver platter.​

https://hotair.com/archives/2019/05/21/impeachment-war-heating/

quikkag likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

the expression the Louisiana Senator uses is different from the one where I come from

cml750 likes this.
  9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Be my guest

BruceAndre likes this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Today's WSJ editorial:

The Impeachment Democrats
    Trump puts Pelosi on the spot over her agenda or appeasing her anti-Trump ultras.
    By
    The Editorial Board
    May 22, 2019 6:45 p.m. ET

President Trump walked out of a meeting with Democratic leaders Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer at the White House Wednesday over their accusations against him, and all of Democratic and media Washington is appalled. Doesn’t this President understand that he is supposed to take a daily beating on his way to impeachment while also giving Democrats some policy victories?

Mr. Trump turned what was supposed to be a meeting about infrastructure spending into a display of Trumpian pique. “Instead of walking in happily into a meeting, I walk in to look at people that had just said I was doing a cover-up. I don’t do cover-ups,” he told reporters after the meeting.

He was referring to Mrs. Pelosi’s comments earlier in the day that “we believe that the President of the United States is engaged in a cover-up.” The remark is part of her now-daily act of political cognitive dissonance in which she accuses Mr. Trump of committing impeachable offenses to appease her anti-Trump ultras while opposing impeachment lest it jeopardize swing-district Democrats in 2020.

Mr. Trump has decided to call her bluff and offer a choice—impeachment or bipartisan progress. He probably realizes by now that Democrats don’t want to give him any political victories before 2020 even if they could also take credit. And that may be just as well given that most of the potential compromises—on drug prices or financing for public-works spending—would be bad policy.

But Mrs. Pelosi is facing a momentous choice. If she opens a formal impeachment inquiry, the momentum toward a vote would be hard to stop. Her moderates would be squeezed to take a vote that could cost them re-election. The process would consume media attention for as long as it lasts and well into next year. Forget about what Mrs. Pelosi calls “our agenda for the people.” The new House majority will define themselves as the Impeachment Democrats.

Appeared in the May 23, 2019, print edition.​

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-impeachment-democrats-11558565156?mod=hp_opin_pos3

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

May as well bow down before him. Go ahead, perhaps, and censure for some of the shitty things he says and does that aren't going to qualify as a high crime anyway. But, to censure for obstruction or emoluments or abuse of power would be a complete surrender. Lizzie Fletcher would lose my vote if she supported that.

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Sorry if this is a repeat...

Pros And Cons Of Impeaching President Trump
    [​IMG]
    Calls have grown for House Democrats to move forward with impeachment proceedings against President Trump in the wake of the Mueller report, leading to sharp divisions within the party and the American public. The Onion looks at the pros and cons of impeaching the president.

PRO
    Upholds standard of behavior to ensure our elected criminals stop doing that once they’re president.

Nice visibility boost for Andrew Johnson historians.

David Frum said not to.

Facilitates clean three-act structure for eventual movie adaptations of the Trump presidency.

CON
    Could set dangerous precedent of impeaching every president who obstructs justice.

Might aggravate divisions in the country and undo all the healing of the past few years.

Unfairly punishes Americans who specifically voted for a criminal president.

Places trust in same system that allowed Donald Trump to be elected.

14. NewRoxFan

former Deputy Director of the FBI (a republican)...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

guess the hush money route isn't going to pay off. Althouse comments:

ADDED: From the comments at the NYT: "Why does trump always get away with everything, every single time? he is completely immune from prosecution, let alone the very most basic of scrutiny. This is untenable and threatens the foundation of our democracy."

That makes me think of a Dylan lyric: "I can’t help it if I’m lucky." Original context:

Someone’s got it in for me, they’re planting stories in the press
    Whoever it is I wish they’d cut it out but when they will I can only guess
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can’t help it if I’m lucky​

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2019/07/federal-prosecutors-signaled-in-court.html

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

so . . . what's next?

17. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Looks like reelection.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think they go for it now. The testimony will be played on repeat for a week.

Now it's time for Trump to start bombing Iran to distract.

19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

did Dems jump the shark?

20. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member