1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Immigrants Reduce Crime

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Jun 1, 2010.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

These stats have been mentioned before in the other immigration threads but statistics show that immigrants, even illegal immigrants, reduce violent crime rather than increase it which is a widespread perception and one that underlies support for the latest Az laws and other campaigns against illegal immigration. I think this issue deservese its own thread as a topic of discussion as how much of a threat illegal immigrants are is critical to understanding the issue fully.

This piece is fairly long so I am just posting some highlights but recommend reading the whole piece at the link.

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/05/27/reading-ranting-and-arithmetic.html

Reading, Ranting, And Arithmetic
    Good cops know the difference between dangerous criminals and illegal aliens, which is one reason violent crime is going down, even in Arizona.
    Last Friday, supporters of Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer posted an amusing little video on YouTube showing a Kermit-ish frog singing about the need to read and then going into a funk after screening clips of Obama administration officials admitting they opined on the recent Arizona immigration bill without having, well, read it.

Fair enough. You have to take a good look at the law to appreciate how truly sinister it really is. But Brewer and her supporters need to do their homework, too. A little basic research would have shown them that big cities with large immigrant populations are safer places to live.

This is not just a matter of random correlation being mistaken for causation. A new study by sociologist Tim Wadsworth of the University of Colorado at Boulder carefully evaluates the various factors behind the statistics that show a massive drop in crime during the 1990s at a time when immigration rose dramatically. In a peer-reviewed paper appearing in the June 2010 issue of Social Science Quarterly, Wadsworth argues not only that “cities with the largest increases in immigration between 1990 and 2000 experienced the largest decreases in homicide and robbery,” which we knew, but that after considering all the other explanations, rising immigration “was partially responsible.”

To deny that reality and ignore its implications is likely to make life more dangerous all over America, diverting resources away from the fight against violent crime and breaking down the hard-won trust between cops and the communities where they work. Several police chiefs tried to make exactly this point Wednesday on a visit to Washington to talk about the Arizona law, due to take effect in July, and the bad precedent it sets. “This is not a law that increases public safety. This is a bill that makes it much harder for us to do our jobs,” said Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck. “Crime will go up if this becomes law in Arizona or in any other state.”

This is not an ideological question, although some of the law’s supporters, including some cops, would like to turn it into one. Experience has shown that when immigrants think they’ll be nailed for immigration offenses, they stop cooperating with law enforcement. The intelligence needed to find and fight hard-core criminals, whatever their immigration status, will be harder to get. People who feel themselves singled out for discrimination will withdraw more and more into ghettos, increasingly marginalized from American life instead of integrated into it. Smart cops understand all this perfectly well.
    That’s a distinction that raving pundits on the right have always had trouble making when they talk about an “illegal-alien crime wave.” And even some politicians who know better have been happy to stoke the fire. Thus Governor Brewer told Fox News and anyone else who’d listen, “We’ve been inundated with criminal activity. It’s just—it’s been outrageous.” Arizona’s Sen. John McCain said last month that the failure to secure the border with Mexico “has led to violence—the worst I have ever seen.” The president of the Arizona Association of Sheriffs, Paul Babeu of Pinal County, claims, “Crime is off the chart in this state.”

What the FBI chart actually shows is that the incidence of violent crime in Arizona declined dramatically in the last two years. After a spike in 2006 and 2007, the number in Phoenix dropped to 10,465 in 2008 and to 8,730 in 2009, which is lower than it was six years ago. Murders, which hit a high of 234 in 2006, dropped to 167 in 2008 and 122 in 2009. (Some lesser crimes may go unreported, especially if people are scared to talk to the cops, but police statistics only rarely miss a murder.)
    Did I already make that point? It bears repeating. The FBI numbers show that in the midst of the supposed crime wave, many other cities in the Southwest have had declines in crime similar to Phoenix. El Paso, Texas, just across the Rio Grande from a ferocious drug war in Juarez, where some 5,000 people have been murdered in recent years, saw almost no change in its own crime rate and remains one of the safest cities in the country, with only 12 murders last year. San Antonio saw violent crime drop from 9,699 incidents to 7,844; murders from 116 to 99. Compare that with a city like Detroit, which is a little bigger than El Paso and much smaller than San Antonio—and not exactly a magnet for job-seeking immigrants. Its murder rate went up from 323 in 2008 to 361 in 2009.

1 person likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I say open up the boarders......let em all in....

DD

3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I don't advocate a completely open border but I do believe that we should open them up quite abit. I think something like a relatively open border where almost anyone can come in provided they pay a small fee, like a $100, pass through a customs checkpoint and gets a visa there (registration of their presence in the US) would address the situation. That would remove much of the impetus for violent crimes from Coyotes who smuggle people for thousands of dollars through dangerous situations.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This goes along with you Absorb Mexico Ideal, Correct?

If we are to open the boarders. . . . Mexico is going to have to give on somethings. Like some of the control of their own government/etc.

We need to be able to send in troops to knock out those so call drug lords
    and stablize some of those areas.

Maybe some Americanization will have to occur
    Send in our robber baron capitalist over there to secure their capital :D

Rocket River

5. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

What if a billion people want to pay their $100 to come to the U.S., are you OK with that? What about two billion? It wouldn't be fair to open up the border for people just from Mexico, we would have to open up the borders to all people.

6. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

That is a lot of 0's paid in fees!

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

My single biggest concern on illegal immigration is the unprotected borders. With domestic terrorism becoming more serious every day, I believe this will come back to haunt us big time.

Secondly, its against the law. W/out proper ID, its hard to keep track of illegal immigrants who do break the law. Once again, this will be a huge issue with terrorist in the future.

Also, illegal immigrants add to the lower class. This may not be a problem on the welfare system now, but this will certainly burden their future generations who do become citizens.

I do not believe they overtly hurt our economy or bring an an additional burden to our police force in regards to general crime.

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

First off a billion people are not going to come to the US even if the border if completely open as it is logistically impossible for that many people to be on the move. Immigration is largely a function of economics which while encouraging some to come it also discourages some people from moving, closed borders or not it is just expensive to up and move. Also many other factors keep people in the same place. For example Detroit has a very depressed economy while North Dakota's is booming. Its not like the whole population of Detroit is moving to North Dakota even though they legally can.

Second I never said just open the border for people from Mexico. I would apply the same standard to alll who wanted come no matter their origin country or point of entry.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Hellz yeah! That's $200,000,000,000!!!

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Except as the article points out immigration reduces violent crime as the tight knit communities of immigrants tend to be more stable and when immigrants are not afraid of being hounded on immigration issues they are more likely to cooperate with law enforcement.

Which is why if under my proposal we open the borders more to match the reality of the situation we can bring the immigration issue from the underground economy out in the open. A the moment the focus on enforcement just means that more immigration gets pushed underground. That actually makes it more likely for thos who want to harm the US to slip in as their are more illegal avenues for them to come through. Bringing immigration out in the open lagely deprives coyotes of their income source and also frees up ICE and homeland security from largely chasing people coming here for economic reasons and onto those who might want to do harm as its less likely for those who just want to come here to work would go through the hassle of paying a Coyote to smuggle them in if there is a relatively easy way to come here legally.

Most illegal immigrants are here to work and contribute to our tax base by paying things like sales and payroll taxes even while they don't get many of the benefits. The arguments that illegals burder our welfare system is unproven by statistics and it is more likely that they add more to our economy than they take away.

Also consider that the way social security is set up is that we need more workers for every retiree. Given our demographics the only way that can be maintained is through immigration.

I'm glad you think that way as that is the crux of the argument that the article is presenting.

11. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

You know I always have wondered if there was any economic study done to see if annexing Mexico would be better for US and Mexico as a whole (i.e. higher GDP at PPP for the combined country) in the long run.

I'm not advocating this, just curious about the economic impact it would have.

12. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I didn't say everyone would try to cross the border the same time. And, the populations of many northern cities are becoming smaller, while populations in the south are growing. People are migrating to where the jobs are. If we opened up the borders to anyone, people would flock to the U. S. from all around the world. It might not happen overnight, but the influx of immigrants would be enormous for many years.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

QUESTION: Who has the most Liberal immigration policy?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4UMd2L24-_I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4UMd2L24-_I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Dunno about the accuracy and I think It maybe Biased.
    It is just a video i got when I did a Search on Most Liberal Immigration Policy.

Rocket River

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I wonder what the Mexican reaction to such an idea would be
    I suspect . . not good

Rocket River

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

When would it stop? I would just go on down till you get to South America.

1 person likes this.
  16. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I'd be OK with the US and Mexico joining up. (Estados Unidos de Mexico -- Mexico even has the letterhead already!). And it opens up one more spot for a CONCACAF world cup team.

17. SunsRocketsfan

sorry but what you say is simply not feasible. You will witness the collapse of the United States if we implemented what you described. These people will be a burden to the rest of us tax payers who would have to pay for their education and healthcare.

If I was a poor immigrant all I needed to do was save a $100 to get a free education and healthcare? I don't think that would work.

Also what a joke of an article.. These articles are pointless and it's just some journalist making wild leaps based on very very loose facts that cant really even be measured.

18. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Maybe I'm skimming too fast, but I don't see the science of causality of immigrants reducing crime based on yearly statistics and compared to immigration numbers. Further I'm not so sure I buy into all this backlash to the laws (which I don't agree with) which states how great it is that we have so many people paying into a system that they get no benefits from. Lastly, it of course doesn't go into the costs of implementing services in the school systems, the use of medical and hospital services, or the effect on jobs and wages in our country.

I'm playing devil's advocate to an extent on this, but articles like this make a pretty bold jump in their logic to try to attempt to oppose the Az. law and attitudes of those that might support it. For some reason the "It's not a bug, it's a feature" line keeps coming to mind.

1 person likes this.
  19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Health care isn't free in the US. The article points out to FBI facts as well as the study.

The fact of the matter is that it might cost a little more if the immigrants were legal, because then they would actually claim their income tax refunds, collect social security and all of the other benefits they don't claim now. Of course the overall tax base would also be higher.

Until you have facts to counter those in the article by the OP, then what you say is just your own "best" guess as to what's going on.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Most people in border states disagree with your opinion. Illegal immigration is not really a problem in the state you live in. Why do you think your opinion should matter at all on this issue?