1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm trying not to be mad......

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by codell, Feb 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Remii

Remii Member

Sorry dude... But I only make my kids commit to making good grades and being good kids. No way should kids be made to commit to one sport and if they want to play a sport to pass time until another one gets started so be it.

Be mad because you don't have more players on your roster... Be mad because the sports overlap. Or question what you can do to be a better coach to make the kids want to finish off the season. You don't pay those kids so the kids nor the parents owe you anything.

2. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

That's a crappy way to put things. He gives his time to give something to these kids, and in the end, the parents allow them to bail. Maybe you should question how you as a parent can show your kids how to finish what they start, or at least teach them to be courteous enough to let the coach know that they will not be able to finish the season because of another commitment.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Kids sports? I'm not sure you should even be sober.

1 person likes this.
  4. PhiSlammaJamma

during the roman empire, many of the youth leagues had kids who were eaten by lions, so it makes you wonder how those coaches got along.

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

6. Remii

Remii Member

If you need the help of sports to teach your kids something like that... Maybe you should question your parenting skills because there's a huge chance that many of these kids won't be playing sports beyond high school.

And asking a 5th grader to commit to one sport and not be able to change their mind and play another sport is silly as hell. They're kids...!!!

7. Falcons Talon

You've missed the point completely.

First of all, any situation can be a teaching tool. It's not "needing the sport" like you suggest. It's a teaching moment. If anyone needs to looks at parenting skills, i would think it would be you.

And, it's not a matter of playing sports beyond high school. It's a matter of teaching kids to finish what they start, and be dependable, or at least to teach them to be up front if they know that they may have other commitments or don't intend to finish the season. That way the kids that actually care about the sport can get the time they deserve to continue through the season.

Or you could just teach them to take everything they possibly can and quit when they lose interest...but what do kids know. Kids will do what they are allowed to do. Kids actions are a reflection of the way parents bring them up.

You should get a hold of Supernanny to help you out.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Damn, look what you started, codell.

It's like a wrestlemania of aggrieved parents all up in here now, starting to throw haymakers at one another.

9. Remii

Remii Member

You're right... Any situation can be a teaching tool. And if you need sports as a teaching tool to raise your kids by all means do what you have to do.

No sir that's not what I'm teaching them... We're specifically talking about 'sports' and I don't need sports as a teaching tool for my kids. Sports isn't a necessity or a priority in my household... It's a privileged activity that they have to earn the right to play. And if they want to play one sport until the season starts for the sport they are really interested in... I'm fine with that because they earned the right to do that as far as the goals they have to reach and following the guidelines I put in place for them.

Now if you need to force your kid to finish out a season to teach him/her a lesson... Do what you have to do.

10. Falcons Talon

What is this hangup with you insisting that anyone "needs" sports as a teaching tool. I agree that its a privilege to get to play.

You're not understanding and I just don't have the time to try to help you understand.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Like the folks in the lower bowl, if you pay for the spot you can do whatever you want with it.

Use kids from the other team, teach them the 4 corners stall, use all your time outs, hell call one extra and take the tech, foul intentionally when they need a blow

12. Remii

Remii Member

Look at your 1st post to me sir... You're the one who came with the 'teaching kids to finish what they start' so my response to that is I don't need sports to teach that lesson. And many parents don't.

And if the OP has so many kids bailing on him... He might be the problem and not the kids or the parents. No disrespect to the OP but that is a possibility. But I bet most if not all of the kids he has left are happy to play the entire game and jack up shots with no fear of getting benched. Lol...

Sounds to me that maybe you're the one who needs lessons on how to finish what you start...

13. Falcons Talon

Yep Remii. I've seen your type all the time. Blame others for your kids not following through on commitments or not letting the coach know in advance when you know you're not going to finish what you started. "Coach didn't make it fun enough, so we quit" Is it a possibility? Sure. I'm not saying its not. I've seen many crappy coaches that I just want to take my kids off their team, be OP clearly stated that those kids dropped for another sport.

LOL. As far as finishing what I start, I was finished with my last statement. I said all I had to say, and I thought I was clear enough, but obviously you're too thick and closed minded to see it any other way than your own.

14. codell

codell Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.