1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm sorry it's over. On to 2017-18.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, May 12, 2017.

1. basketballholic

So, continuing on with Frank Mason for a bit and other possibilities.

The reason Frank Mason makes so much sense is because his salary would be a small sliver of the cap for there to four years and because of his defense.

Frank Mason is a plus defender and that's what separates grim other small playmakers like Kemba Walker and Isaiah Thomas. Mason can help a team defensively at the point of attack. Those guys can't. What that means is Mason is Lowry level good right now. He can run an offense. He's a great decision maker. He's good at drawing fouls. He's great at making the right read in pick-and-roll. He's a great spot-up shooter. And he plays defense. He's great at getting over screens and pressuring the ball. He makes the defense work a lot harder to attempt a switch. He is good at defending the ball handlers primary shooting hand and forcing the ball handler to go to his non-shooting hand. He is good at trailing the ball handler when he does get bumped and forcing them into traffic while he is backside on the shooting hand. He's an extremely crafty and effective defender.

Frank Mason is a two-way player that is ready to contribute to a championship team today. He can defend Steph, Kyrie, Isaiah, Mills, etc. And while those guys can never be stopped he can bring down their individual offensive efficiency enough to help make their teams beatable. He's a positive defensive force in addition to his offensive gifts.

Now with that said, is Frank Mason the only cheap doable solution for our playmaking problem? Of course not. But because of his defense he may be the best cheap solution to our playmaking problem. Let's examine some other possible cheap solutions for our playmaking problem.

Starting with the current roster the most obvious candidate to become a cheap rotation playmaker would obviously be Isaiah Taylor. Taylor did look surprisingly good in RGV, at least offensively. But I really wasn't impressed defensively. However I doubt he could be any worse than Lou defensively. And the good thing is I believe his contract is non-guaranteed until the first day of the regular season. That means he can be traded or waived without consequence to the cap.

However, a decision in him still needs to be made. Is he the cheap playmaker we can plug into the rotation next season or not? If he is, then put him in the rotation. If not and we still want th develop him t or we decide to trade or waive him, doesn't make a difference. We still need to get that cheap playmaking upgrade from somewhere.

Here's some possibilities:

· Pierre Jackson - a pint-sized offensive dynamo that is faster and quicker than anybody else on the floor. He can make all the plays and is a very good shooter. Currently a free agent. Could be signed easily to three-year deal.

· Sergio Rodriguez - undersized point guard on the downside of his career but still a great shooter and playmaker. He'd probably accept a minimum salary deal or close to it and he's ready to play with tons of experience.

· Jose Calderon - another aging shooter/playmaker available for a low price signing.

· Facu "I'm going to write a stack of books" Campazzo - a small Argentine playmaker that reminds you of Nash with his playmaking but not his shooting. Good floor general and very creative. Would be a better shooter if he didn't take junk shots. Is a much better shooter when he gets his feet set and body squared. And we're looking at him. He could be signed for either the minimum or a very low multi-year deal.

There's other guys but these are just a few low budget players that are rotation-ready and could be signed for very little money. My preference, obviously, is Frank Mason III. If we have the opportunity to get him on draft night we should do it.

But if we do acquire any of these guys they need to be put in the rotation and given at least twenty minutes. If we don't do that then we haven't fixed anything. We've just added another project to the roster. And that would be a waste.

Next book - low budget solutions to help with paint/rim protection and rebounding.

2. basketballholic

Agree with all that. And I'm sure they're going to try to get a three man that can make plays and distribute. But what if we can't make that happen? Should we stand pat? After seeing what we just saw.

That is the reason I'm making the Frank Mason/small playmaking guard suggestion. Because its doable, its needed, and it doesn't prevent us from pursuing another playmaker at the three or 4.

It's going to be difficult to acquire playmaking threes. It's going to cost a lot of assets to trade for one if we can actually make a trade. And/or it will likely cost a ton of cap space.

In the event that nether of these things materialize, the solution that is achievable is to move Harden to the defensive three for some of his minutes and introduce a small playmaker into the rotation. That can be done and it can be done cheaply. Bev is good enough defensively to defend two guards and in my opinion would undoubtedly be more effective defensively against most two guards as he does have more difficulty with the plethora of tiny guards that have come into the NBA in recent years.

#82 basketballholic, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

4. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

a 43rd pick, in the cavs-warriors era, is not something im concerned with

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  5. bigred77

bigred77 Member

If you can land a scoring/playmaking guard in the draft that you think can give you 10-15 quality min per game by the end of the season then I think you could sell me on a plan to trade Lou Williams for a pick and free up $20M in cap space give or take for someone like an Ibaka. A player who can shoot, defend, play the 4 or 5, and isn't a defensive match-up liability in the playoffs.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Can't comment meaningfully on Mason because I know nothing about him other than what's on his draft express profile. In general however I dock older draft prospects a few points.

The bolded is an understatement. I'd say it will be just about impossible.

To be honest I'm probably less optimistic about our team over a 2-3 year time horizon than most. I don't see how we get the playmaking and big man help that we need. And then there's the Warriors - **** the Warriors.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  7. basketballholic

Ok guys, I said I was going to discuss low budget paint/rim protection and rebounding help next. But there's an opportunity here to make another point about getting a small, quick playmaker that can defend in our rotation that I simply can't pass up.

Everybody watched that game tonight, right? I mean that was some sensational basketball played by the Warriors. Give them credit. Love them or hate them no matter. They were balling.

So think about beating them. Look, if we're gonna keep Harden here for the foreseeable future we gotta not just try to beat them, we gotta beat them. If we're not going to do that and you don't think we can do that then why do you want to keep Harden here? Lord have mercy, trade him to Boston right after the draft for Fultz, the Nets pick next year, another first rounder, and Jaylen Brown.

Sorry guys. You're either on the boat or you're off. I'm convinced we can build a team around Harden to beat the Warriors.

But we've got to make the right moves.

So how do you build a team to beat the Warriors?

Well, start with this game. How many times have we seen it? Curry brings the ball up unimpeded, full bore, forcing bigger slower defenders to overcompensate their speed to get back on him. What does he do? He kills them. Game after game he kills them. He does whatever he wants. Stop and pop from thirty. Boom. Totally in rhythm. No hesitation. Just automatic. How about drive it down, dippity doo, defender is exhausted getting back, a little hesitation, a fake here, there, crossover, turn around, shake-n-bake, layup, or find a cutter or roller or wide open spot up shot, right? Unguardable. Indefensible.

What about.............putting a smaller, quicker, faster, more athletic player on him? And attacking his dribble. He starts running up the floor and he's got to bring the dribble down low and cover the ball up. Can't just run up and jack or crank. Gotta protect that ball sonny.

And that's where it starts. Nobody else can defend Steph. He's too good. Lebron can't defend him. Especially now with Durant. The big athletic point guards can't defend him. He simply dribbles them down out of position and either launches or gets to the rim.

The players that can defend Steph are smalls. Guys that can get in a low stance and use their quick feet to get up into him and disrupt his dribble while still being able to recover when he drives. Smalls are also usually your high energy guys. They're lugging around the least weight. They can go awhile. They can pick him up 75 feet and force him to cover the ball and walk it up or give up the ball altogether.

And then on the offensive end you make Curry check that same small quick guy. You don't let him switch out. You force him to defend that small, quick guy. You give that small quick guy the ball and let him work on Curry, make Curry have to work defensively. Curry has actually become a very good defender at the point. He uses his own quickness to disrupt opposing offenses. But if he's playing a smaller, quicker, faster player he's at a disadvantage and his own energy reserve is being drained on the defensive end where he doesn't really want to expend it. And he's getting burned and part of his offense is getting neutralized because he's giving it back.

Folks, I've been talking about a small, quick playmaker for a reason. If we're going to win a championship we have to have the right matchup against the Warriors. And a perimeter of Frank Mason, Beverley, Harden matching up against Curry, Klay, and Durant is just the kind of matchup where we could draw the advantage of the dribble and take the advantage of the dribble away from them. The last thing any of those three guys want to do is get low and try to beat their smaller defenders off the dribble. It makes them all stop and pop or spot up shooters.

Now they're still devastating shooters. So this one addition isn't going to beat them. Gotta have other stuff working. And I'll get to that. But the perimeter I just described gives us a lot of advantages on both ends.

And that is another reason why I believe we have to find a way to get Frank Mason out of this draft or have a plan to acquire a similar sized, similar skilled, similar fast, quick, and athletic player as Frank Mason with Mason level toughness and leadership. We need this type of player to help neutralize Curry's game.

#87 basketballholic, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the key to a championship formula

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I still do not know who Frank Mason is but he should be relatively important, esp. important to you.

You wrote 150 lines about him.

I dun think one rookie will change the overall toughness of the whole team, sure he can help.

But can he make Harden not quit? A rookie? I think it will be good to find a younger NeNe.

10. basketballholic

I'm not proposing Mason as the be-all end-all. I'm proposing Mason as one of those subtle little itty-bitty acquisitions which give us the ability to address a key team deficiency while also opening up a whole new myriad of trade and free agent options without having to worry about replacing skill sets lost in trades.

11. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I'm sorry its over. On to 1993-1994. Hakeem should know that you can't win in this league with a one man show and he's turning 31. Look at that roster, there's not another all star on the team. Unless the Rockets sign a big free agent they might as well not play next season because they'll never beat Seattle. There isn't any path to the championship. They are doomed.

topfive and Os Trigonum like this.
  12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Stop writing essays and stop telling us stuff like you know it's a fact.

kthxbhai

13. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

I really cant say anything about Mason cuz i dont know who he is but if he is what you described that would be the best 2nd round pick since draymond. Why would he even last that long if he has those skills?

My blueprint to beating GS:
    Trade ryno ,lou,Ariza next years first and a second for PG , a bad contract from indiana, and a tweener who can play PF like Tobias.

Bev/Eg/2nd round pick
    Harden/EG
    PG/Dekker
    Harris/Dekker/Wiltjer
    Capela/whoever

Thats still not enough but its as close as you can get in one year.
    I dont think you can beat GS going small because they perhaps have the best shooting PG,SG,SF in history, players who can crash the boards and have a post game gave them the most trouble this year, but i dont see anyone who we can realistically acquire with that skill set

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@basketballholic Not familiar with their games. But what sets Mason apart from what the Rockets have with Isaiah Taylor?

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

This is where you lost me.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Don't know much about him myself, but from what little I've read, Mason and Taylor have different skill sets. Taylor is quick and athletic, and has defensive potential, but isn't there yet as a D difference maker. He also isn't a great shooter, not yet (if he ever will be). While Mason doesn't have Taylor's athleticism or quickness, he's a deadly shooter from deep, and a proven defender. A "3 and D" midget, in other words, being 6' on a good day and in shoes, but supposedly not a particularly good point guard. Adequate, maybe similar in that respect to Bev? A college senior who was the AP and Big 12 Player of the Year, if Mason were taller and had more athleticism (speed, quickness), and better court vision, we wouldn't have a chance at drafting him. At least from what I've read. It would be nice if someone who's seen him play a lot could give an opinion. 'Hoilic? Does that descibe you?

Deuce likes this.
  17. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Bbhollic you need to write longer posts if I'm going to get my money's worth out of my newsletter subscription

18. basketballholic

Defense is the first one. Mason is a bulldog with quickness and athleticism. He dogs opposing points, goes over screens and picks and chases guys down. I'm telling you he's a troublesome defender for opponents because he's got a very low center and he gets low and attacks their dribble.

Taylor is just not in that class and in my opinion never will be. Taylor has a long way to go just to be adequate defensively.

Shooting - Mason is the far superior shooter. Although Taylor has improved, he's simply not in Masons class as a shooter. Mason is a great on the dribble shooter. Stop and pop, step back, you name it, among with catch-and-shoot.

Mason is the far superior decision maker in pick-and-roll. I have to laugh at some scouting reports that say Mason lacks in his pnr playmaking. Those guys don't know what they're looking at. They think because he scores out of the pick and roll more often than he passes that he's a bad pnr operator. That's garbage. He always makes the right decision in pnr action.

Taylor, once again, is a work in progress in this department. Taylor is a crisp passer. I'll give him that. But Mason much better in pick and roll action.

Those are the biggies. Mason is the stronger player. And while Taylor is fast, Masons strength helps him carry the day against bigger point guards. They can't post him up effectively. They can Taylor.

Deuce likes this.
  19. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope he's great for your sake because you've nearly written a novel about him. This is the most coverage Frank Mason has ever received in his life!

20. basketballholic

Totally understand. I almost didn't write it. Because I realize how absurdly stupid it sounds if you don't know much about Mason.