1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[I'm Scared] Alex Jones has 2-3 Million Weekly Listeners

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sooner423, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I'm sure some of you guys are familiar with Alex Jones, with him being based in Austin. For those who don't, he's a egomaniacal paranoid schizophrenic with an apparently very popular radio show. He preaches about 9/11 being an inside job, fluoride being introduced to the water supply as a method of mind control, Barrack Obama being a puppet for some globalization commission and Bill Gates being a eugenicist.

I was introduced to this character about a year ago. I never really thought much of him. No one in their right mind could believe the **** this guys spouts, right? Well, apparently, there are an assload of people who are not in their right mind, or I was wrong.

A while back, I heard that he has 3 million weekly listeners. Naturally, I went to the web for some corroborating evidence. I found several articles citing an audience in the millions, one of which I've included.

Now, I'm seeing the inside job and fluoride t-shirts everywhere. In fact, my former roommate is one of them. I'm sure it's partly because I'm in ultra-conservative/crazy Oklahoma, but I'm worried.

With this "small government"/"tea party"/"libertarian" movement picking up so much steam, I wonder how much of it can be attributed to this man. With Ron Paul's booming popularity (a regular guest on Jones' show), I wonder how much of that is because of this crazy b*stard.

What do you guys think? Is he just a uneventful nuisance, or is he a force to be reckoned with?

http://www.texasmonthly.com/2010-03-01/feature2.php

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'll bet 95% of his listeners only listen for the unintentional comic relief.

That's the only reason I listen to talk radio.

3. Sooner423

You may be right, but my roommate wasn't listening for the comedic relief. He was genuinely riled up that all of us "sheep" couldn't see things that were so obvious to him. Hell, he ordered water from ozarka so he wouldn't have to drink from the tap, because of the fluoride. He has friends that are just like him too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mEGgAk1AbA4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He posted the above today on facebook. The comments on youtube, almost all of them, follow the same crazy ass line of thinking that Alex Jones and my former roommate have.

#3 Sooner423, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I think Bill Hicks didn't die. He quit doing drugs, lost his sense of humor, and changed his name to Alex Jones.

1 person likes this.
  5. SunsRocketsfan

Alex Jones? who? never heard of the man. But because of your post I am now curious so I must go listen to him.

See what you did? You are just helping spread his name. Great going

But it sounds like he's just like any other conservative talk show radio host. Well maybe a bit more extreme from his conspiracy theories but Im sure that is on purpose so he can get people riled up and talking about him which means more ratings which means more $$$ for him.

6. Sooner423

When they start marching down your street with ak-47s and tin foil hats, you'll be glad I warned you. :cool:

7. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

can't believe he was only 36 at the time of the Texas Monthly article. I rmember him from 96-98 tying himself to lightpoles and hosting a local cable access show out of his basement.

Party Time, Excellent!

what perfect timing.

I liked his rant in Waking Life.

I detest his blind followers, the ones that like to use word like "sheeple" and "New World Order"

that's the thing- his schtick has always been the same, but it's the anti-Obama folks that have bitten his bait this time, and that's what is scary to me.

1 person likes this.
  8. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

There have always been crazies though. Maybe there are slightly more now, but I'm personally more worried about how stupid we're becoming as a nation (and as we continue to slash education budgets, that trend's only going to continue).

9. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

agree on all counts

10. gambingo

gambingo Member

That's a *** load of listeners. I listen to his show sometimes, but find him annoying for the most part. Just as Ima_ said, i think most ppl tune in for good stuffs like this

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i9p6jRHDZ0E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I've never heard him but I don't trust anyone anyhow.:grin:

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

If you pay close attention, there are obviously many Alex Jones listeners who post here regularly.

13. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lack of education and stupidity are not necessarily correlated: Obama went to Columbia and Harvard.

14. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

there is definitely a movement behind alex jones or ron paul, but there is probably zero overlap b/t them and the mainstream repulicans/bush supporters/limbaugh listeners. the brand of the tea party that was co-opted by fox news and the GOP bears no resemblance to the people who originally started the tea party in protest against bush.

as for paul, he has said that jones listeners have been a major source of donations to his campaign.

15. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

im one of them. i probably listen anywhere from 2-5 hours/week. i like him in small doses, but when he starts yelling at his audience or pretending to cry i have to turn it off. i actually agree w/ quite alot of what he says, but he makes the show way too much about alex jones which is annoying. as the OP said, he is definitely an ego-maniac.

ive been in austin since the mid-90's and i remember him from his cable access show - i just dismissed him as the black helicopter guy...then in 2004 i saw his film 'martial law' about 9/11 - at the same time i read a book suggested by a poster on here named rhster called 'crossing the rubicon' - those two things coupled together really changed my way of thinking. as bill hicks said, my 3rd eye was squeegeed. and his film where he sneaks into elitist summer camp bohemian grove and films one of their ceremonies was pretty interesting too.

its funny that jones was labeled a wacko-liberal when bush was president and now that its obama he is a wacko-conservative. he has basically been saying the exact same thing the whole time - both parties are controlled by the same corporate interests - bush and obama are both globalist puppets.

and if you notice, glenn beck pretty much stole his schtick for his fox news show, but it was all filtered through this establishment GOP mindset.

dennis leary is to bill hicks
    as
    glenn beck is to alex jones

#15 jo mama, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I wasn't going to name names. It's usually pretty apparent.

Alex Jones is a whacko. Period.

That said, even a whacko can have an occasional valid point.

I loved his cable show for the comedic value, though I preferred the "show with no name."

17. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I'm highly, highly aware of that from personal experience. It's a huge, if not the main reason, that I quit supporting Paul and eventually libertarianism in general.

As for Jones, there's always nuts in the world. What the nuts are freaking about will always change, but they'll never be significant. You don't hear Jones ranting about 9/11 troof these days, after all - God knows if I thought that stuff was real, I would never stop ranting about the evils of government. But a Businessman has to change strategies.

18. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

I listen to his show regularly and he is right about things way more often than the mainstream media. I agree with other posters that he is annoying at times when he's ranting and interrupting his guests and callers but his overall message has been very beneficial to alot of people.

For those that can't stand Alex Jones or what he says, just simply don't listen to him.

19. Sooner423

Do you have any examples? Chemtrails, fluoride, Bildeberg?

20. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

I watched an interview a few weeks ago by Jones and that wasn't too bad, he didn't really interrupt and let the guest speak for a good 20 minutes.

But come on, you can't put out there that he's right most of the time and not give at least 3 examples.