1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm on online purchase junkie...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by davo, Nov 26, 2002.

1. davo

davo Contributing Member

Can't help myself anymore. Seems like every morning I scour the internet for stuff I might need.

Today it was a Canon I320 printer for $30 after rebate. Next up is a decent 15" LCD monitor and maybe an MP3 player....

Don'r get me wrong, I'm not wasteful, it sometimes takes me months to find the right deal. The thrill of the chase, maybe?

Anyone else have this problem?;)

2. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I had an ebay problem a while back. I nipped that in the butt.

I like to shop, but only for things I need.

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I'm an ebayholic. If you guys saw my Rockets collection it would make you nuts.

4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I don't buy as much as I used to, but I wouldn't be surprised if my online purchases are approaching six figures (needless to say, over several years).

In fact, I'd just about bet on it.

Christmas gifts, tennis shoes, DVDs, CDs, flowers, clothes, books, ALL kinds of stuff for the kitchen, and even my wife's engagement ring (I got it appraised after I received it....came in at more than twice what I paid for it, and I couldn't have touched that price anywhere in Houston).

Yup....I'm a junkie.

So davo, I'm sure you're all over places like pricewatch and dealcatcher. Do you know about amazon's gold box and their Friday sale?

5. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

Show pics.

6. davo

davo Contributing Member

Check, check, check....

Never had too much luck with the gold box. techbargains, gotapex and bensbargains are my first stops.

7. drapg

drapg Member

Last year I used to buy things by the truckload online...

until I got screwed in a huge purchase for hundreds of dollars and never got my money back.

now i'm in recovery and don't buy a thing online. :(

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I'll put em all on here next week. I have probably approached close to 6 figures collecting Rockets stuff.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

I need a barkley-rockets autographed card. Anything you want to give up from your collection? He's a tough find on e-bay. One crops up like every two months and I miss it.

10. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

warn us off...which site did you get screwed on?

11. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

In the butt? Yesh, information overload!

Alas, I am in the same boat, it's like Christmas all over again.

12. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I end up buying a lot of stuff online, usually because it's often so much easier than trying to find the same thing locally. DVDs, for example. There are a bunch of DVDs I purchase that I have been unable to find at the stores I frequent, especially foreign or older films.

There are a lot of books I've had to go online to get, too. I suppose Barnes & Noble would order the books that are in print for me through their store, but it's usually just easier to order online. I also have found quite a few out-of-print books online.

I did almost get screwed online trying to buy a DVD writer for my computer through eBay. The guy was a scammer, but he got too greedy and had too many auctions going. He apparently went on the lam before he received my money order, so I was able to easily get a refund. In retrospect all the warning signs for a rip-off were there. It's not as if I was dealing with a master criminal. That's really the only problem I've had in about 200 eBay transactions over the years.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

books, music, airline tickets, hotel accomodations, event tickets...past that i rarely use the internet to buy anything.

14. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

ok... is it butt or bud?

as in: "I nipped that in the bud"
    or: "I nipped that in the butt"

15. drapg

drapg Member

uBid.com

Do not use this site. I repeat, do NOT use this site.

They used to have great deals and I spent thousands of dollars there. Now there are no longer any good deals b/c the whole world, their mom, and their mechanic outbids each other to the point that even Best Buy would be cheaper.

But that's not my problem with them. They have no return policy whatsoever. They've shipped a few broken items to me and refused to refund my money. I complained to the BBB, but nothing ever came of it. I was out a LOT of $$$. :(

16. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Back in the day (like 2-3 years ago), when e-commerce was new (and had that "new car smell"), EVERY retailer had amazing coupons, like $20 off $50 purchase, 40% off, $15 off $15 purchase, etc. During those free-dealing times (when internet stocks soared), e-commerce sites, like the long-dead Mercada, were slashing prices on everything. I was an online shopping junkie. I got DVDs for close to free after applying coupons at random merchants, like CDNow. I bought a then-new 60 hour ReplayTV unit for $300 at Mercada (using a fantastic MSN Wallet Christmas promotion). I participated in "buy one, get one free"-like sales at top clothing sites, like J-Crew, Gap, and Eddie Bauer. I got my current monitor for $200 off (a Trinitron, too!) at Dell. I bought lots of cool stuff at Amazon for 25% off. I was out of control and loving it. Then, the stock market dropped like a rock, and the coupons dried up in a big way. Sure, I scour Fatwallet, Techbargains, and Anandtech Hot Deals for the Next Big Bargain Deal, but they're hard to come by now (innocent pricing mistakes notwithstanding). So you could say that I'm now conservative with my online spending, but ONLY because the deals are gone. My online shopping junkie persona has not vanished; it's merely gone into hibernation. I let the "monkey" out every once and while and pricematch a good Staples deal, but for the most part, I'm now fiscally responsible. You could say I'm a recovering OSJ (online shopping junkie) who suffers a relapse every once and a while (around the holidays, when pricewars heat up). I have it under control, though. No intervention is necessary... yet.

17. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Hello, my name is B-ball freak. I am also an ebay-oholic.

It started with SLU NBA figures and McFarlne NBA figures and has moved on to NBA bobbleheads and NBA Matchbox collector trucks and many various NBA collector toy items. Now, I have bought watches and adidas for all 3 of my kids and have been buying adidas shoes for myself every other week. My wife is pissed. I am getting smoking deals, though. Oh yeah, I bought a pocket trumpet there as well (I play). Ebay rocks!

I know I can quit anytime I want!!!!!

18. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

Online shopping is the only way to go. No driving, no crowds .. what's there not to like? I've already got my wishlist up at Amazon. Maybe this year my mom will take the hint and get me something I really want as opposed to more socks with reindeer on them. :(

19. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

i need a mobile internet machine, and was looking around for a laptop. does y'all think that ebay would be ok to buy something like that?

20. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

She speaks the truth! I don't know how many times I've gone to a store with something particular in mind and the store doesn't have what I'm looking for!!! :mad: I can just go on the web and can find the most obscure thing imaginable in a couple of minutes.

However, there are two negatives that come with online shopping: the shipping cost and the shipping time.