1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm not sure that I can ever get behind Forrest Whitley

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Daddy Long Legs, Nov 19, 2018.

?

?

1. cool

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. not cool

17 vote(s)
    77.3%
  1. raining threes

If he helps them win two or three WS tities and a few Cy Young's I'm sure you will have a change of heart.

LouisHTown and Nook like this.
  2. shsu33

shsu33 Member

I get he supports his hometown team but he really does go after the Rockets specifically, I still hope he's a great player for the Astros one day though.
    I hope that when he does join the Astros that he takes down the Manu block on Harden from his twitter. Houston has great sports names at the moment & they all seem to get along. What may become a problem one day will be if he actually meets James Harden at an event of some kind. I would hope James has a sense of humor about it but what if he has words with Forest about it?
    This could cause some drama & I wouldn't blame Harden for being pissed that a new starting pitcher for Astros, who's suppose to be a future All-Star, keeps a fanboy type pic of Manu blocking him.
    Both being about the same height, I see much more weight on Harden along with the fact he's in very good shape, will not be a good thing for Forest should he decide to say something back at Harden.
    I'm not trying to promote that Harden kicks Forest ass or anything like that, I'm just pointing out something we can all see that could potentially become a situation. I could be completely wrong and Harden jokes about it with him when/if they meet. He might not even acknowledge him b/c of it.
    The bigger problem is that fans will take sides afterward, pitting Astros & Rockets fans against each of them, which would be a very bad thing to happen for both players and organizations.
    Stay a fan of the Spurs, most Houston sports fans don't nor shouldn't care. The twitter pic is kinda petty though, esp being 2 seasons ago.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  3. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

James Harden doesn't follow Forrest Whitley Stop the Nonsense. James is Non Confrontational type. James minds his own business, Forrest I believe will stay in Houston, learn to live around Houston meet Houston Fans, Live and meet Houston People. Forrest will be like Okay I will be respectful to the Rockets, I mean he is going to share a Locker Room Full of Rockets Supporters in Verlander, Springer, Correa, Altuve, Bregman all are Supportive of Chris Paul, James Harden.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

If he pans out, all hell be is a stupid kid that doesnt know how to market himself towards his future fanbase. I really dont care who he roots for, and I can certainly respect him for cheering on his hometown team without wavering. He just needs to be smarter about it and know his surroundings.

Also, for the simple fact that he mentioned and thanked Luhnow for not trading him, means that he wants to be here and give it his all for the franchise that drafted him. He probably grew up a Spurs, Astros and cow patty fan. As long as he never shows that side of him, its all good with me.

5. HookemHorns1250

I really.... hope the OP is just making a joke. This guy could be a future ace and people are getting upset for being a fan and bragging for them when he can.

If he turns out to be a stud, he can show up to games in a spurs jersey for all I care.

raining threes and King1 like this.
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

This is STUPID. Players are allowed to root for their childhood teams.......doesn't matter if it is a rival of a Houston team. Grow up.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Professional athletes are almost never from the city they play in. They're allowed to be fans of their hometown teams. Anyone getting a rise out of this really needs to rethink your life choices and priorities. If this completely insignificant fact about an Astros prospect can honestly get you angry, you have some serious issues to deal with and I hope you get help.

UTSA2step likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He is really tall. Being behind him makes it hard to see anything.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I never said I wouldn't love the guy...just not as much as Gerald. :)

Marteen likes this.
  10. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

This whole thing is as idiotic as worrying about Correa playing too much video games

11. HTown2017Champs

I love Forrest, and while I have no problem with his Spurs fandom (he's from San Antonio, and it's the only show in town), I don't like how he specifically seems to hate the Rockets in particular. Not sure why he does that, especially since he's in the Astros organization, which is very supportive of the Rockets (not to mention that the two teams have a TON of fans in common). That's not a deal breaker for me, but I'm really curious as to why he openly disses the Rockets in particular.
    I appreciate his tweet thanking Luhnow for keeping him here. He's gonna be a beast and help us win a lot. That's all that matters. Not asking him to change, but I hope the (very open) negativity towards the Rockets will go away once he reaches the big league level.

Marteen likes this.
  12. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

DeAndre Jordan cheered in front of the home LA Clippers crowd last year when the Astros beat the Dodgers in the World Series.

"Jordan, a Houston native, was on the sideline when he heard the news and screamed out “ASTROS MOTHERF***ER!” in front of a packed Staples Center. Props to DeAndre for repping his home team, even while playing for the city that just lost the World Series, and in front of a ton of L.A. natives, many of whom were presumably Dodgers fans.

I’m sure there are probably some Los Angeles sports fans mad about this, but you’ve got to give props to Jordan for not changing himself. You sign a Houston guy, don’t be mad when he’s overjoyed Houston won. Comes with the territory."

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017/11/2/16597630/deandre-jordan-astros-celebration-clippers-nba

LouisHTown, Jake Tower and UTSA2step like this.
  13. Major

Major Member

Probably because the Rockets and Spurs have been rivals most of his life?

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Jarred Cosart faints

LouisHTown and MadMax like this.
  15. PhiSlammaJamma

If you call the phone number on the dugout for a Hooker, you will get a hooker who not only supports the Astros, but offers you season tickets. Best of both worlds. Put you safety goggles on before calling.

16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Honestly I hate him now.

Roided. Acne , lanky kid from San Antonio. I’ll trade him for anything.

17. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Bregmans from gross ass LSU

And i still love bregman. You get over it.

18. SemisolidSnake

I mean, this is all tempest-in-a-teapot stuff, so whatever, but there is a difference in these two examples. Jordan is simply rooting vigorously FOR his hometown team. He didn't append "Kershaw sucks" or "What a joke the Dodgers are" or something like that to it. Whitley's a part of a Houston organization and making fun of one of Houston's most beloved athletic stars. Might not be a bad idea to just go into rooting FOR the Spurs mode and drop the AGAINST the Rockets part while he's here in Houston. I mean, that's just shitty marketing of yourself as someone else here said, and that's more annoying to me than the content of it.

HTown2017Champs and Marteen like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Stupid thread is stupid.

Major likes this.