1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm getting frustrated with Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smartxtai, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

Actually, I'm a Chinese-American. I've probably lived in the states longer than you've been alive, and I've been a Rockets fan for 20+ years.

You should really reread my posts. I'm not making excuses for Yao. I'm simply aware of his limitations. He can't carry a team on his own and is not a franchise player in my eyes. Instead, he's a second-tier all-star caliber player who complements McGrady's game very well. Playing with McGrady covers up a lot of his weaknesses. You'll have to explain to me how that line of thinking is "not admitting he's overrated." :rolleyes:

As for the "17 million" (which actually starts next year at 12 million with 10.5% increases every year for the next 5 years), there are plenty of players out there getting the max who are unable carry a team.

#41 Kyrodis, Nov 23, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  2. cenbo416

cenbo416 Contributing Member

Why I see more and more nonsense thread in this forum. They are so negative, so frustrating, and then so childish. Most so-called Rocket fans only know complaining about Yao, but never can provide any constructive suggestions to our team. They are so pathetic that they can only shout trading Yao for some other players. Enough is enough. Let's work together and make this team better, keep this team stable. Come on, be a mature man!!!

3. scutmb

scutmb Contributing Member

Yao is terrible inthe second half. Head will be a superstar.

4. Kyrodis

He played great, and I've no doubt he'll become good player, but that's definitely a knee-jerk reaction. ;)

5. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

All of a sudden, it becomes a fashion to claim to be YOF first, and then starting the dissing. Just like two years ago, some of the guys here claimed to be Rockets fans for such such years, then starting tons of negative, blaming, no-substance posts about how this team sucks. I said it two years ago, those are not Rockets fans. I will say that again, these are not YOFs, or ROFs, they are always MOFs(Me Only Fan). If Yao plays well, gets the hype, gets the max, hey I am so proud, I am Chinese too, so I love Yao. Once there are a few bumps on the road, damn, he's so bad, he doesn't represent me, I just hate him. You know what, he never represents you, only you represents yourself. Your behaviour on this board already showed your true color. Please don't call yourself YOFs, you are not, you are disgrace to any fan.

6. yobod

yobod Member

You said that better than I could articulate, Ive been thinking the exact same thing for years now.

7. bioinformaticia

I cannot agree with you more. But, you cannot stop wondering why he was put in those situations. I blame JVG for that. Remember, the goal is to win more games and eventually the championships, not to develop Yao into a complete player per se. YOF or not, the least thing that a fan cares about is whether he can run faster than AI. I was really pissed off when I watched JVG kept Yao in the entire third quarter, let him chase Marquis Daniels all over the court, AND not to run a play for him on the other end, and penalize Dalls for playing a small lineup. What was he thinking? Didn't he know Yao had a stamina problem? And people wonder why he would miss all those easy shots and could not deliver at the end of the game, when you need him the most?

THAT IS NOT SMART BASKETBALL!!!

8. wolfsheep

wolfsheep Contributing Member

Good point! Yao used to be a smart player. Now he is stronger but stupid. He just keeps doing something useless and ineffective. And he is more and more desperate.

9. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

If Yao Ming had a power forward teammate that was a banger and a physical player, perhaps Yao wouldn't be getting so much blame. Juwan Howard doesn't provide any of that on the court.

10. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

I totally agree- Have Juwan or Stro even had double digits in points or rebounds so far this season ?

11. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

He is not paid that much, even after this year. And what do yo mean when you say "he simply has to play to that value"? What is the value $15mil? Fin, Webber, JJ, Hughes all make that much or more. Do they set the value standard?

12. zhao1109

zhao1109 Contributing Member

If my memory is correct, YAO make 5.5 million this year

13. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Yao is disappointing . even a blind person can see that. Stop taking up for him. Since he came into the league he has been walking on a red carpet. NOT ANY MORE.

TIME FOR SOME BLUE COLLAR WORK

14. code9x

code9x Contributing Member

dude, don't blame yao.....ask JVG. Yao is just following JVG's crappy system and doing what JVG is asking him to do.
    the reason why yao sets so many screens? because JVG told him too, not because he wants to all the time. so don't blame yao, blame JVG, yao himself said him setting screens is by design.....and doing all that chasing the guards and running back to get the rebound.

15. code9x

nope. i'm sticking up for him. he works out regularly to get stronger and works on his conditioning. he is trying his best. if he was as lazy as Kwamme Brown, then yeah.....but he's not.

16. Kyrodis

Well, those of you who gave him the damn red carpet to walk on only have yourselves to blame.

Frankly, I thought he was going to be a bust when we first got him. After his rookie season, I raised the bar to a Sabonis/Ilgauskas caliber player. He even exceeded that level in the sense he still commands a double team from most defenses. I'm more than satisfied with his progress. Can we win a championship with his current level of play? Maybe...but that would probably require another borderline all-star like Yao. A player is only disappointing when he doesn't meet your expectations.

The way I see it, those of you who are so damn frustrated are truly the blind ones...expecting him to just waltz into the NBA and dominate every night despite all his physical and mental limitations. He's just not THAT good of a player.

#56 Kyrodis, Nov 23, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  17. code9x

you got to be kidding me.......it's yao's fault for following and listening to JVG for telling him to do all these things?

yao chases the guards, sets screens, have to run back to get the rebound and the crappy JVG offense because of JVG , not yao. blame JVG for telling yao to do this and that......blame JVG for making the game unfun and stressful for his players....

18. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

he doesn't deserve the MAX

19. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

20. lexled

lexled Contributing Member

You took the words right outta my piehole bro.

Why does he always fade away on his shots? LEAN IN DAMMIT!!!!! Use that 7'6" frame to create space. They will call fouls on Yao for sure, but what else is new? Is Patrick Ewing hindering Yao's progression? I cant stand seeing him on our bench, I just shake my head and say "wtf is this guy doing coaching the Rockets?" I never did think that much of Ewings game.

Can we please win?