1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm blown away

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Oct 7, 2015.

1. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

People think Bev is a better defender, and does not take the ball from Harden hand, both points are logic enough.

2. omgTHEpotential

Since when is Harden 40?.. :)

He was our only true legit PG last year.

3. basketballholic

There's no logic to Bev starting over Lawson. Bev will get his minutes but they'll be off the bench where he belongs.

It is very important for teams to get off to a good start offensively early in the game because NBA defenses tend to pull their horns in early to avoid early foul trouble. That's the time to make hay offensively and then the defense picks up as the game time whittles down until finally in the 4th you've usually got a full blown defensive battle on both ends.

Bev has his place in the NBA. But when you're looking at Lawson or Bev....there's no comparison and NO QUESTION who will start. Lawson is miles better than Bev.

4. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

He was talking Jet, I think.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why not start Ty in 40 games and Bev in the other 41 barring injuries ... and Terry or whoever the other 3rd stringer should start in the remaining games

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

The league plays smaller than has been in the past so in limited minutes you definitely can. Beverly guards the bigger guard anyway as he already does that.

Already saw it in memphis, TL guards conley and Bev guards Lee. Not much of a problem there.

7. OTMax

OTMax Member

I thought you were only an idiot when talking about TJ...

1 person likes this.
  8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

The other thing is Lawson waived the 2nd year of his contract. I don't care what you say but to me he definitely had assurances of starting and probably playing 30+ minutes a game. He is not waiving that 2nd year without being guaranteed to be a starter.

Ty is basically banking on himself to produce pretty well as a starter and see him get a bigger contract. No way he can achieve that coming off the bench. Once a bench player always a bench player unless you're Manu and NBA teams look at you that way when it comes to giving out contracts

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

In the end, I sincerely doubt it matters.

I'm positive we will see a bit of both starting depending on the matchups. After all is said and done both will get their minutes in and hopefully make the most of their team either defensively (Pat) or offensively (Ty) on the floor.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Has OP shared his input yet??? I can't wait any longer! Why do you tease us, OP?

11. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

The key is to always have either Lawson or Harden on the floor. However you do that.

12. photojoe

photojoe Member

This thread is pretty comical to me. I don't think anyone is debating that Lawson is an overall better PG than Beverley. And I don't think anyone is debating the importance of keeping on of Lawson or Harden on the floor at all times so we have at least one playmaker.

Let's not overlook what Beverley can offer. He is a high-energy, pesky, get-under-the-other-team's skin kind of player. Especially when he is hitting his 3's, he is a great player for us. Luckily, with Lawson, Bev's minutes should be reduced which should help him stay healthy hopefully.

So which should it be? Should Bev start for the first 4-5 minutes and then bring in Lawson, that way Lawson can stay in with the second unit after Harden subs out? Or should Lawson start for the first several minutes and then sub Bev in so Lawson can be fresh when Harden subs out? It can blow your mind all you want, but I can honestly see advantages and disadvantages of either option.

Remember last season when we got Josh Smith and immediately tried to start him, only to realize that we were better when he came off the bench?

I know it's still just preseason and we don't have a whole lot to talk about, but here's a crazy idea! The NBA season is super long at 82 games, how about you try both and see which one works more effectively? If you start the season with Bev starting and a Lawson-led second unit is torching other team's benches, then keep that going. Or vice versa. There will be a lot of time to experiment with different lineups and rotations and I fully expect the Rockets to try both Bev and Lawson starting, with different minute distributions, and even time playing on the court at the same time. Kevin McHale and Daryl Morey are much smarter at basketball than I am and I am confident that they will be able to figure out how to use our embarrassment of riches much more effectively than I could.

13. Mr Chuck Norris

Why is Lawson's defense looking better than Bevs this preseason though. You have to admit bevs defense has fallen off. But his shooting stroke is better. Bottom line of gourds using defense as a reason to start bev, it's invalid, Lawson is a much better player.

14. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Cause he's sober and not seeing double and trying to guard 2 point guards

15. Mr Chuck Norris

Also with Thornton, Brewer and possibly Dmo I don't see how we'll struggle to score...

16. Mr Chuck Norris

Do you honestly think Pat doesn't smoke weed? Be real.

17. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I know Lawson is the better player, but I feel like him coming off the bench would be an absolute boon to us. He would torch opposing bench PGs, and help create for guys like Brewer, Jones, and Capela. Bev can focus on hounding starting PGs and nailing corner threes.

Lawson will finish games and almost assuredly be in talks for 6MOY.

18. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

These players aren't equally in talent. Stating Beverley is the better fit because of defense isn't enough to out way the talent and strategy.

A true point guard is the teams offensive QB. Compared to Beverley, Lawson has the better ability to draw fouls on attacking the paint, that gets you in the bonus quicker. We want Lawson and Harden to attack the paint to soften the defense and get them in foul trouble. I love Pat but he does not provide that element. A true point knows which players to set up, which players can get the best of their match up.

Beverley is truly suited to come off the bench and turn up the pressure on defense with guys like Brewer. He can do this along side James or Ty.

Sorry if I stole your thunder OP but you waited to long.:p

19. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I think PBev goes better with the 2nd unit, James really enjoys playing with Ty Law and takes the pressure off James to handle the ball on offense. Start Ty...

20. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Also allows Pbev to abuse or check backup PG's. For instance Shawn Livingston from GS who gives us fits or Patty Mills.