1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm blown away

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Exiled

Exiled Member

If it was for D alone , I would start Mk over both BP and Ty

2. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Maybe Ty would reek havoc coming off the bench

Maybe we got 2nd seed starting Bev all last season

Maybe we made it to the WCF with two 38yr old starting point guards

Maybe it would cause more damage coming off the bench and letting Bev just hold down the currys of the league

3. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Because Pop want to deflate Manu's numbers so the Spurs can pay him cheap.

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

2nd page.

Is the thread going yet? Or is this just free post count fodder while we wait for the thread to get going?

I'll share my opinion on whether or not it is going a bit later.

1 person likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Doesn't matter.
    The Rockets are going to try and have either Lawson or Harden on the floor a majority of the game.
    You will also see sets where all three are on the floor together with Ariza at the 4.

6. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Honestly, I think starting Beverley and bringing Lawson off the bench is a real scenario for this team.

One of our biggest weakness from last year was that the team could not get any offense get anything going when Harden sits. Whenever Harden sat last year, it was a struggle for the offense to generate points consistently until Harden came back in. Unfortunately this lead to Harden getting basically zero rest, especially in the 2nd half of games. We saw this weakness again tonight when Harden sat after the first and the team was pretty devices on offense till Harden came back in, from then they busted for 25+ points the last 7 minutes of the half. Beverley just isn't an initiator on offense. The second unit really needs someone who can control the pace for them and get guys like Brewer, Capela, McDaniels/Thornton and Jones easy baskets. Lawson seems to be that guy.

Also, by starting Lawson in the starting lineup he becomes almost a redundancy, at least early in the games where Harden usually mans the ball more than usually, until 4th quarter money time. I understand the notion of having two great ballhandlers together but I think Lawson would be better suited if he had his own time to have the ball in his hands while Harden doesn't have to worry and work as much to keep the offense afloat.

Beverley is a better fit in the starting lineup at point guard. I love how he pressures point guards, defensively, from tip and whenever he is on the court. Just imagine point guards having been pushed around and agitated by Beverley the first 6 minutes of the game then have to chase Lawson around next? Point guards won't have off nights against our team anymore!

I love the idea of a Lawson, McDaniels/Thornton, Brewer, Jones and Capela 2nd unit just destroying other 2nd units! By bring Lawson off the bench and spreading the minutes so that at least one of Harden or Lawson is on the floor, we can effectively play the same offensive sets for the whole game! This allows players to be virtually interchangeable as long as Harden/Lawson and Howard/Capela is on the floor.

I get that Lawson is the hands down better player and that is enough to justify him starting, but we have the luxury of possibily bringing a top 10 point guard off the bench to face a lot of teams' 2nd unit. Why not bring Lawson off the bench, then? The Spurs and OKC have done it with huge success, I think the Rockets can do it too.

Finally, does it really matter who starts the game?! We all know Lawsonnwill be getting the lionshare of the minutes and he and Harden will be on the floor a good amount of time every game. What matters most is who finishes close games and gets more minutes, and I believe Lawson is the answer to both those questions most, if not all, games.

1 person likes this.
  7. Fantasma Negro

I have a very valid opinion on this subject, and I will unveil that opinion at a later time

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Starting Bev is best for the team. Don't worry, Harden and Ty would still get to play together.

9. Handles

Handles Member

Holding off on my say till later. Stay tuned.

1 person likes this.
  10. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Why do fans pretend you take all 5 starters off at the same time and only play the bench together?

Lawson comes off early in the first, Harden plays most of it. Lawson comes in early in the second, Harden returns to the game later. It isn't rocket science.

There is this thing called context, just because it work for the Spurs and OKC doesn't mean it will work for us. If we have 1 creator on the floor, the defense can focus in, we do not have the offensive scheme's that the Spurs and Popovich have so stop with that stupid comparison.

That is the difference. We are a different team.

11. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

It was also a weakness against good defensive teams to only have 1 ball handler on the floor because they would focus in on harden and his turnovers would go up, his defense would fall due to fatigue.

12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

How could it blow your mind away? If Ty Lawson starts he and Harden will both have to focus on both ends of the court. It is very possible that it happens but for the moment Beverly and Ariza will allow Harden to somewhat plays his " defence" and focus on what he does best which is to score. Ty lawson can then be the fresh legs off the bench with Brewer and score. I am sure there will be instances where both he and Harden will start but for the most part I feel there is a larger need for Beverly's ability to defend the top tier pg's and some sg's alongside Harden.

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You are nuts. Did you even read the thread? Do you watch basketball? Do you ever see a coach take out 5 guys and put in 5 replacements consistently? Who becomes the starter does matter a lot. Also, that lineup of yours would be tough defensively. What is the real issue with starting Ty if you can stagger the times that he and Harden rest?

14. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

THIS ^^^^^

Why did it take 30 posts before stating the obvious?

One of Lawson/Harden will be on the floor while the other is resting.

It's called staggering minutes; and no, it's not rocket science.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

I have a very serious and informative take on this, but I'll hold it off for later.

1 person likes this.
  16. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

Dude you are so lucky you got a pic with harden. My cousin goes to ucla and when away teams come, they practice there. He sent me pictures with most of the team (dwight, bev, parsons (sorry all) lin, motie and jones. Heck even mchale. But when he was going to ask harden, harden just looked at him and walked away. Harden is one hell of a ball player but he's not humble. Still love his game.

17. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

Whoops
    Wrong forum. Sorry

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

Very good take, but I would save it for later once this thread gets going.

19. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

There would be no reason whatsoever. The whole point of getting Lawson was to get the ball out of Harden's hands once in a while so he didn't have to make every play. Of course he's going to start.

The starting 4 spot is up for grabs. The starting PG is not.

1 person likes this.
  20. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

lol meant to post in another forum. accidentally clicked this one because i was on my phone. sorry guys haha