1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm blown away

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Oct 7, 2015.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I was wondering when this was going to fall into our laps. Sorry to hear you were sick, glad to hear you're doing better.

Basketball wise, it's a good take for someone like me who sees it like you do. Bev will definitely contribute this year, no hating on him, but he's still no Ty Lawson. Putting the pressure on teams early in the shot clock gets them more off-balance than we are on defense with Ty in there.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lawson should be playing 38 minutes a night. So yeah, he is going to start.

Beverley will get spot minutes. He should never go beyond 20 in a single game.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i think the rockets (and other deep teams) will try to keep minutes down more then ever.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

lawson should and will start. but it's not just about "creating"

it's also hopefully just overall being a better team. and if that sometimes involves lawson hopefully keeping the team in the game with harden on the bench or even extending the lead on occasion then harden will not have to play as much or it won't be in so many pressure packed situations to win the game at the end.

regardless it will be a very interesting season. if this team could just stay healthy.

5. Mr Chuck Norris

I'm not even quite sure if Beverley's defense is significantly better than Lawson's actually. Lawson definitely plays the passing lanes better. Lawson looks fine to me with the catch and shooting. With the added threat of his play making and driving ability I don't see any reason why Beverley should start.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They are both on our team, guys.

7. split41

split41 Member

I really don't agree with this justification. I just wanted to really focus on this, because a lot of people are mentioning it or something like this as a hidden perk, but It's possible to start Lawson and stagger his minutes so he gets a good chunk of his minutes playing the second unit.

I think it would lower his morale to not be labelled a "starter," and not worth this risk knowing the level he can go to.

8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the kind words, don.

Yeah, it should be pretty exciting (to say the least) as this season plays out...hopefully building to that crescendo. I honestly believe it's ours for the taking....if we can stay healthy. Ty's such a game changer for us....exactly what we needed.

9. alethios

alethios Member

I'm still blown away that PatBev won the PG skills challenge during last season's ASB based solely on making his 3 pointer before the opponent did.

10. alethios

alethios Member

This --- so much this. This year is going to be incredible!

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Honestly, this isn't even a thing. Ty Lawson is the starting PG just as much as Harden is the starting SG and Dwight is the starting C.

12. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i haven't read but a few posts in this whole thread but anyone who thinks we brought lawson in to be anything other than the starter/get the bulk of the minutes at the 1 is an idiot.

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Half of the people here including myself is tinkering with the idea of not having Ty start games but close games and still play as much or even more minutes than harden

I don't think no one here is saying Ty should be playing less minutes than pbev

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It's pretty obvious now that Ty will start opening night (unless a last minute suspension comes).

And I highly doubt McHale will bench him mid-season, we'd have to get off to a pretty bad start for that to happen.

15. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Because the name of the position fundamentally changes everything in today's nba. Hmm...

Manu and Parker fulfilled similar roles. Parker is not some passing savant, and Manu is a pretty capable passing guard, even if he is labeled SG.

Kind of reminds me of another SG we know who almost plays like a point guard...hmm...

Bringing Lawson off the bench is not some insane proposition. I think it will end up matchup dependent, and Lawson will get way more minutes than Bev, as he should as long as he doesn't flop here. But Lawson is too undersized to be an effective defender, and Harden is average at best. That's a lot of work and energy to place on our other players.

Again, certain teams may require us to defend a bit more out the game, whereas most of the time, I think we will/can run and gun it. Bev less important for that.

16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

You're still blown away?

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Thread got going at any stage?

18. Disciple2123

Disciple2123 Member

I think Lawson should start but there's going to be a long period of growing pains. Harden and Ty looked so awkward out there together. They didn't know when to pass or when to shoot. They were passing too much and giving up open looks. Teams are going to abuse harden and Ty in the back court on offense. Let's be real those guys are not very god defenders and it showed against the Nuggets. Starting Ty is like when we started Smoove and it went horribly. This will work itself out eventually buy Rockets are going to lose a few in the process of trying to get this to work.

19. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

I think Harden succeeded last yr because he was handling the ball. In the one game, he seemed to struggle because he isn't taking his shots in the flow of the game and isn't handling the ball. On a couple of possessions when he did handle the ball, he made those shots When he wasnt, he just kept jacking up shots. He also has gone to the well far too much with the refs expecting foul calls. He just needs to play instead of looking like someone stole your happy meal.