1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Illegal immigrant runs for student body president at Texas A&M

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Icehouse, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Ender00

Ender00 Member

Thank you for replying but I was asking false so ican better understand the way he/she think. But let say its been a year and he can not find a company to sponsor him and going to school is too expensive, since he is paying international student rate, what should he do in that instance?

2. Ender00

Ender00 Member

Not even sure how much is USC tuition cost since it a private school, I think. I could only afford to go to community college and trying to finish my degree at state university. But I don't think his parent r not willing to pay for him to keep going to school and he doesn't want to take out a load to pay for come school himself

3. False

False Member

I'm sorry, your cousin should consult with an immigration attorney in his area regarding his specific circumstances.

4. False

False Member

I once again lost all I had written. I need to start writing in word and transferring in.

These incentives already exist even without this decision. I for one would welcome more people like this guy in our country. He seems like a good kid who has a lot to add if only we would give him a chance. Sadly our messed up laws make it so it ain’t so.

Wait, you can get a business license to sell crack? You are right, your example is just not the same thing. Look this argument isn’t the one that really matters that much. I’m not going to convince you that these are people just like you and me trying to get by in life despite a bad lot. Nor am I going to sway you by saying you break it you buy it. We exported the Maras to Central American, we subsidize corn, effectively destroying the ability of people in rural Mexico to survive, when these countries tried to modernize and move away from exporting primary goods from the 50s to the 80s, we intervened and overthrew their governments, we aggressively supported brutal military juntas as they exterminated their own populace and left their countries marred by war, and to this day we consume massive amounts of drugs from these countries creating an extremely destabilizing effect on their economies and their politics. You would file this away as not our problem, I on the other hand can’t help feeling a certain duty to not continue the absolute ****ing we have given to Latin America and Latin Americans. That involves treating their people over here like people, not as sub-human.

Yes, the amount of undocumented people in this country is a big deal. We have vastly different ways of dealing with it, though.

Hookers aren’t to blame for prostitution, they are being exploited, just like the drug trafficker on the corner is not to blame for drug trafficking. We created a system where people are treated as sub-human, then we blame them for the problem. The immigration system in this country that results in undocumented people is the problem. This is an immigration system that is supported by certain business interests that desire the cheapest labor possible. It certainly wasn’t undocumented immigrants or bleeding-heart advocates that torpedoed any chance of mandatory E-Verify from passing in Texas, it was small business owners, specifically those involved in the food service, agricultural, and construction industries. The reason that businesses like the current system is because it leaves undocumented immigrants in the shadows. This makes them malleable and exploitable. I have been appalled to see that people will work 80 hours a week paid at $4 dollars an hour in the U.S., preparing food in your favorite Asian restaurant because they are in the position where they need it and they are in a position where they cannot demand anything more. The extremely lax employment laws regarding identification and verification mean that employers only have to look to see if a document is reasonably genuine on its face. For sub-contractors, they don’t even have to check at all, AFAIK. Employers encourage prospective undocumented employees to get fraudulent documents, and some even set people up with people who will get them those documents.

By cracking down on undocumented immigrants, you just further encourage their exploitation by employers by driving them further off the grid. As long as the economic pull exists, this exacerbates the depressing of wages. By not bettering their employment circumstances in their home country you force them here.

Look, it is reckless to speed. All it takes is one death to flip your example on its head. Look, I’m not going to be able convince you that all penalties are not commensurate to the crime, or that laws don’t justify themselves.

I would agree that our current messed up laws promote the development of an underclass. I would disagree that we are not dependant on illegal immigrants.

I too believe that any state has the right to dictate who and what crosses its borders and who will be allowed to immigrate. I do not believe that the law as it exists should be enforced more stringently. I think the solution is to have a system that encourages people to register by providing an incentive, like work authorization. I also believe that we need to re-vamp the system as a whole to allow increased avenues to status and to cut down legal absurdities such as the one barring this student from adjusting in the United States. I feel that by encouraging undocumented people to come out from the shadows, we cut down on their exploitability, raising wages across the board, and putting them in a position where employers will not encourage them to use fraudulent documents or use the identities of others. This would benefit undocumented people, and it would prevent identity theft.

We should be talking about solutions that are within the realm of possibility. It is highly unlikely that we will be able to change birth-right citizenship. Any political capital expended on such an effort would be better directed toward fixing the system within the bounds we already have.

I do not believe that a guest worker program is the answer. Especially absent large changes to the current framework. Because guest workers are dependent on their employers for status in the country, it makes them easily exploitable. Even allowing for portability of the guest-worker visa seems to be an illusory benefit as employers would not desire to employ workers who have somehow been laid off or left their previous employment for any reason, they'd much rather get someone who wouldn't be a trouble maker. Additionally, any program which treats person only as the sum of his labor devalues all workers. Dan Rather Presents had a very scathing indictment of our current guest worker programs called An American Nightmare. I’d really recommend it.

5. Ender00

Ender00 Member

So in your opinion my cousin should consult an attorney, which we all know he would advice him to apply through the proper channel and wait for his turn. What make this kid so special that he could get to stay in this country but my cousin has to go back and file the paper ?

6. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

amen.........

7. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

so what other option he's got? Get a fake ss # to get a job?

8. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

sounds like we got an immigration attorney in the house uh...