1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[IKO] Free Agency News (TONS OF GOOD INFO!)-Rockets "extremely confident" about Butler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 27, 2019.

1. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Yeah, him recruiting CP3 is a total unqualified success for Houston. My bad.
    [​IMG]

D-rock and lionaire like this.
  2. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Weather it work out or not Harden helped get a perceived star here.

3. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Sure. The question is if that's actually a good thing. I think if you're going to proclaim someone a great recruiter, how much his recruiting actually helped the team is relevant.

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You were refuting the claim that Harden is a great recruiter. Then when somebody is like "Yeah, he recruited future Hall of Famer Chris Paul" you're like "but what about all of this other stuff that doesn't have anything to do with whether or not Harden can successfully recruit star players? Consider those completely irrelevant factors to distract yourself from how wrong I am, please."

And I wasn't angry (I even said please!) but your condescending snarkiness really did rub me the wrong way. Especially considering how you tried to manipulate facts to back up your position. Your position is dumb. Harden has successfully recruited players. Those other factors are completely irrelevant to whether or not Harden is a good recruiter.

Btw, I don't even know if Harden is a good recruiter. I just know your argument is really really bad.

NotInMyHouse, jacoby and Vengeance like this.
  5. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Does the guy on the court look like a Hall of Famer to you? Results matter. Yes, Harden helped bring in a big name, sure. I have no problem admitting that. But I'm not ready to call him an amazing recruiter for one big signing with questionable results. That's where we differ.

And my initial snarkiness was because I was responding to a post proclaiming Harden the greatest recruiter in the NBA, based on CP3 and the possibility of Butler. So yeah, I was mocking the idea of one franchise anchor and one POTENTIAL acquisition making him the best. That position was stupid enough to earn some mocking.

#145 PlayBall, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  6. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

****ING EW.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

why do you hate team chemistry and depth? You want to gut our entire roster when the one team that has been eliminating us is hurt? Yea shut it. ; )

8. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Mike D'Antoni chummy with the cancerous scrub Gerald Green but at odds with an actual useful player like Kenneth Faried.

Wtf kind of team is being run here? Is the goal not to win?

Jontro likes this.
  9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Harden brought him in and they proceeded to win 65 games together. Only then did Chris Paul injure his hamstring and Morey gave him the contract. So in addition to connecting unrelated things in order to justify your really weird argumentative position - you're now rewriting history. So congrats on all that. I feel like you ought to go into politics.

#149 Williamson, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Deckard and D-rock like this.
  10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

How was green a cancer?

Y2JT and Gray_Jay like this.
  11. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Man, folks around here sure get butthurt when you dare question any praise of Harden. Relax a little. Breathe. I’m just saying results matter.

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Okay so if Harden recruited Durant and then he tears his Achilles and we don't win a championship, Harden is a bad recruiter. That's exactly what you are saying.

Y2JT likes this.
  13. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Thanks for playing apollo, but it's quite clear you haven't read or understood what what I said. I never said anything about him being a bad recruiter. I objected to him being called the best recruiter in the NBA on the basis of recruiting a current franchise anchor and the SPECULATION Houston might get Butler. And yes, I think you have to consider what the franchise gets out of the recruited player in evaluating success.

The only reason I made the butthurt comment was that half the board is all over my @ss questioning my logic, but I'm the ONLY one I saw question the prior poster's absurd suggestion that Harden's the best recruiter in the NBA based on CP3 and potential Butler. Without taking more than a second or two to think about it, obviously at LEAST these are better:
    - LeBron. Bosh to Miami, Love to Cleveland, AD to LA. Way more production than CP3 has given HOU, several titles, and that's before even considering anything AD might do.
    - The Warriors original core bringing KD in. Three seasons of top 5 play, two titles, two Finals MVPs.

Folks are happy to ignore stupid logic when it sounds nice for Harden, but if you dare to raise a counterargument, look out.

14. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

He killed the team when on the court.

I’d actually say he was a bomb. A shitty shot-jacking, HORRIBLE defense explosive device.

15. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

He killed the team when on the court.

I’d actually say he was a bomb. A shitty shot-jacking, HORRIBLE defense explosive device.

izeroi likes this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That 20.5 is only if he opts in and then BYC wouldn't come into play.

If he opts out and then is signed and traded BYC comes into play and he counts as his actual dollar figure for our incoming salary but only 19.5m or 50% of his current salary whichever is greater for Philly.

That's what makes these deals so much harder than they were before.

He counts as 20.5 outgoing for Philly but 30.8+ incoming for Houston.

That makes it real difficult to match salaries with just two teams and neither having actual cap space and why the 3rd team with cap space is a requirement to make the math work.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

They'd have it in the opt in or S&T but probably wouldn't be able to use it in the S&T version as it would put them over the apron.
    The margin is razor thin to make this all work - EG / Capela out , Butler , MLE (maybe not even all of it) and the rest of the roster on minimum deals with the 15th roster spot vacant for the entire season.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

If Butler opts out and comes here in a S&T …. you wont have to worry about Chumpert wearing Rockets red anymore.

Now if Butler opts in and is traded …. they might keep that contract / asset.

luckyman76 likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Didn't she have those removed ?! ….

daywalker02 likes this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Did the math last night , Yes , they'd be able to use the BAE in some scenario's.

The main prerequisite is that they use the T-MLE (5.7) or less than $6.05m of the NT-MLE as their margin under the apron is $357k if they use the T-MLE & BAE and leave the 15th roster spot vacant for the year.