1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[IKO] Free Agency News (TONS OF GOOD INFO!)-Rockets "extremely confident" about Butler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 27, 2019.

1. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Would be interesting if we are able to get a young rotation piece on a decent deal back if we trade Gordon and Capela. That should get you at least a 1st rounder (maybe 2?) and potentially a young player coming back to Houston to lessen the sting of losing Gordon. Maybe like Nemanja Bjelica?

Houston out: Clint Capela, Eric Gordon, Nene (maybe to make numbers work?), 1st round pick (2021?)
    Houston in: Jimmy Butler, Nemanja Bjelica

Sacramento out: Nemanja Bjelica, 1st Round Pick (2020)
    Sacramento In: Clint Capela

Philly Out: Jimmy Butler (sign & trade? but most likely opt in and trade)
    Philly In: Eric Gordon, Nene, SAC 1st (2020), HOU 1st (2020)

Eric will make $14 Mil next year, while Bjelica will make $6.8, this will allow us wiggle room under the hard cap and give us a rotation piece at Power Forward. This scenario is best case IMO where Morey is somehow able to finagle a rotation piece along with Butler if we have to get ride of both Capela and Gordon. It is probably more likely as an opt in. This could potentially work for any team with cap space and a young player on a solid deal that makes about $10 mil or less. It does sound like Philly would rather have a Trade Exception and draft picks instead of Gordon or Capela. I trust that Morey can redeem himself after the joke of an offseason we had last year.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Yah, after talking with @justtxyank about the hard cap. Maybe sending Capela and Gordon to Sacremento is the better option. Instead of acquiring the Atlanta 2nd, maybe we could snag harry giles instead since they are receiving capela.

That would give us a cheap option and allow us to use the mle

BaselineFade and Highlyrated like this.
  3. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

His defense was really good in the playoffs, he only allowed his opponents to shoot at 29% .Thats damn good ,and look up stats before u run your mouth.

Little Bit likes this.
  4. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

The saltiness on this board is so high...come on this isn’t the reason they’ve won 3 championships.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol defense isn't accurately measured by stats, especially the way you make it seem. faried and defense aren't an ideal couple. a little kid can clearly see that. he absolutely needs schemes that can hide him better on the defensive end

don grahamleone, Riz and harold bingo like this.
  6. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Yes faried defense is shaky, but stats and numbers dont lie ,while i will say that they are a great indicator of how they are playing.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We are the terminator of the NBA. Morey doesn't stop.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

sure they lie. so if faried's hand is directly in a shooters face and is straight up but the player still makes the shot, is that considered bad defense? stats and numbers don't measure that in any way whatsoever. it just shows the offensive player made the shot.

what if a player puts up a horrible shot that had no chance of making it to begin with. and the defender wasn't even playing good defense. stats and numbers also don't measure that in any way. there's only so much they can tell you and its pretty limited at that.

to think they measure someone's true defensive value is nonsense

don grahamleone and JW86 like this.
  9. brosef

brosef Member

You forgot to say how far away Tomball is from Houston....;)

don grahamleone and DreamShook like this.
  10. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

I'm pretty sure I read that the coaching staff finally had to bench him when he couldn't execute the switching system. I think that's consistent with what you're saying insofar as he did a good job at preventing the guy he was closest to from getting the ball in the basket - he was just always near the wrong guy.

ak99999 likes this.
  11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Those stats might not be available to the public, but I bet Morey and his team have those stats.

12. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

defending the jazz is not the same as defending the warriors...curry or thompson would have torched us if he played....the coaches know what they are doing...his perimeter D and rotations are bad.....even capella can't guard curry, and his perimeter defense is pretty decent(not good anymore) for a big.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

they might have something that relates to it but its not really measurable by an actual stat. there's way too many defensive actions and offensive scenarios that tie into both sides for it to be

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's bum**** far. BFE

brosef likes this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Athletic is ABSOLUTELY worth a subscription. I subscribed last October. Was money well spent. If you are an NBA fan, there is a TON there. Of course you have the Rockets stuff from @KellyUnchained, but every team has beat writers and you can get a ton of info. Plus national stuff from Shams and Amick. Amazing resource.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

you're right. paul-harden-butler-gordon would exceed the apron. we could/should keep tucker as the PF. if we move gordon/capela/nene we can then spend the full TMLE (presumably on a center). We can also fit house and his non-bird rights salary (around $2M) under the apron with just enough left to buy dinner.

17. psingh34

psingh34 Member

stats are no good, especially when they disprove your point :)

18. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

At the very least, download the app and get your two free articles a month.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I keep reading "sixers can end all this rox non-sense by offering 5 year max..."

well to me that means the rox ARE being used as leverage. or at the very least, COULD be used. problem is every time i bring this up i have at least 10 replies saying that rox don't work as leverage, need a team with cap space, blah blah blah.

But I've just told you, all I'm reading is "sixers can end all this rox non-sense by offering 5 year max..."

That's leverage!?!?, and I still feel that's what is happening here. Yule C.

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Morey already got the ball moving with Chiozza and Frazier. He was 10 steps ahead already.

don grahamleone likes this.