1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ike] New Tropical Threat

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faos, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Thank you coma. I've heard there was minimal damage to the Stewart building and everything in our datacenter is safe. I may drive over there later. Trying to figure out now if there is any flooding I need to worry about heading over there.

2. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Are there any dining establisments with power and open on westheimer near fountainview? I really want to go somewhere.

3. coma

coma Contributing Member

I'm in the same boat, I have to head over to the Amegy building to bring the datacenter back online.

Reports are coming back that that area down Post Oak is still without power, but no flooding.

I'll let you know how it goes if I head up there later tonight.

Good luck.

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'm wondering the same thing. Looking for a place to chill for a while to charge up my phone and get out of this hot ass house.

5. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Any looting?

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, having cabin fever pretty bad. I wonder if Wild Wing Cafe is open.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Rode it out in Sugar Land lastnight and while it was rough, it wasn't too bad. A lot of tree damage, but nothing too bad from what I've seen. We have electricity on my street but it doesn't seem like the rest of the neighborhood does.

Also talked to other people in Sugar Land and they all said everything is okay.

8. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

Drove back again to west u area, still havent seen any places open for food or anything.

Seems like several buildings along 59 and 610 had several windows broken, not sure if it was from flying debris or what.

my apt complex doesnt have power or water, took all my stuff out of the fridge/freezer. still have power in uptown park. no cable/internet but using a wireless card

know that someone on richmond and kirby has power and their uverse is working

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I walked around my neighborhood in The Heights this morning and some areas got it really bad. I saw several huge trees that were completely uprooted and slammed into houses. I'll post pics later but I'm about to run outta juice right now.

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It seems to me the storm surge estimates were very high...obviously leaning toward worst-case rather than on the side of caution or even in-between. But, that's sort of unfortunate because people will be even less likely to leave next time around. I guess my point is if people become trained to think authorities and/or news are always predicting the worst and the worst doesn't happen...this can potentially set up a much more severe disaster in the future when maybe those overblown estimates do pan out but many more people actually stayed than evacuated because of scenarios like this storm which didn't pan out as bad as thought. Then, we're looking at a high death scenario. Hmm.

11. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

thats when you use the principle of: hope for the best, BUT PREPARE FOR THE WORST!

a lot of people though this storm wasnt coming to houston..and refused to prepare for...

12. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

i live off 518/94.

fences are down. lot of shingles came off the roof. no power.

13. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Shingle flew of the apartment complex and scraped the paint off of my volvo. Any chance that the apartment company will include it under their insurance claim?

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Things look pretty bad but it sounds like it could've been much worse. I've heard that only two deaths so far only blamed on the storm but I'm guessing we will know a lot more in the next few hours.

I hope all of y'all are safe and no one's been hurt.

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Not sure if that is downtown, but they just announced that downtown is closed.

16. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

YES, ELECTRICITY! It went out for me at 2:47am, woke up at 9am, then 12pm. Went to Rice and there is power and internet here. Man Houston is a mess. So is my backyard...

17. coma

coma Contributing Member

Thankfully, it's in the Uptown area off of 610 and San Felipe.

Thanks for the heads up though.

18. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I was listening to NPR and they said there is a good amount going on throughout the coast.

19. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

I think it would be cool for someone to start a thread with Ike pictures and we could all post our pictures in that thread.

20. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

cellphone post - 43rd took quite a hit.. no power. many trees down. wife and kid ok.