1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ignoring midrange will kill us

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Oct 11, 2017.

1. carib

carib Member

I think there is a misconception here. I don't think anyone here wants to fall back to just the mid range. I think everyone wants the Rockets to look for shooting 3's and lay ups, however some people want the Rockets to not avoid shooting the mid range altogether, just so your opponents won't be thinking that there is an area inside the arc that we will not shoot from. The Warriors who have better 3pt shooters will take the mid range occasionally because it makes it harder on the defense and they feed of what the defense gives them.

SirIvyLeague and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  2. carib

carib Member

I think the secondary and tertiary wrinkles that some people are hoping is that we don't want teams in the playoffs to think we won't shoot from the perimeter if is not a 3pt shot. We should continue to look for lay ups and open 3's majority of the time. Personally I think Harden, Gordon and Paul are only ones MDA should allow to take an occasional mid range shot at all based on the flow of the game. That is the tweak or wrinkle I am hoping. You do take away a weapon in Harden, Paul or Gordon's arsenal when they are exclusively shooting 3's or lay ups. Let us not talk about the other Rockets, they should not be shooting mid range shots at all.

3. crenshaw

crenshaw Member

Who else had a feeling gordon got called out for that mid range J on pmills in 1Q and the floaters he dared to take the entire game. LOL

SirIvyLeague likes this.
  4. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

When I saw it, I was like oh boy this bubba is gonna hear about that.

SIL

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Apparently CP3 took zero midrange in 57 preseason minutes.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Anybody that thinks we play the same brand of ball as the warriors is an even bigger idiot than if they just believed that the midrange is pointless. The warriors choose the 3, but play the field. We look for the 3 and fret like a headless chicken when it isn't there.

cheke64, illwil29 and brewer's goat like this.
  7. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

4 straight midrange makes by the warriors. why is my team so stupid.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Midrange moron logic:

Golden State hits 7 straight three pointers for 21 points = IGNORK

Golden State hits 4 straight 2 pointers for 8 points = BUMP

GOOD MATHS

YOU DID GOOD MATHS

Mathloom, jbasket and larsv8 like this.
  9. jbasket

jbasket Member

Yep, we were slaughtered. Ugh. Trade everyone.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is why you need a midrange game.

No 3pt shooting, no layups....we need another option, too easy to guard if you have the right matchups.

DD

11. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

OP is still racist doe

12. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Sam, at this point you are straight up Trumping. Shifting the argument and anger towards something else to ignore the main point. You know I have nothing against the 3 ball. Arguing against a versatile offense is straight up stupidity. It's like saying you don't want to diversify your portfolio even though you're going to invest more in certain entities.

I'm going to go ahead and let you troll. You did the same thing when it was Mchale and how coaching didn't matter as long as we played Morey's brand of basketball (please don't liken the spurs or GS offense to what we are trying to push---it is also stupid). It was the same routine when the rockets would get their gimmicky regular season wins. Now that he is a proven moron and has been hating on James, you conveniently forget your staunch support for the man.

The 3 ball is subject to more variance, and when the game gets tight late--meaning you don't have the luxury of a great number of shot attempts, that variance hurts you. The defense clogs the paint and runs the rockets off the 3pt line...it has been happening for years you have to be ignorant as hell to miss it. This is when teams like the spurs and golden state make the defense pay by taking freethrow level distance easy of difficulty type of shots. When they can't predict what you're going to do...you make them pay with good 3pt shots and layups once again.

#192 LosPollosHermanos, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    cheke64 likes this.
  13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Pretty sure every Rockets loss for the past 10 years has been blamed on the lack of a midrange shot lmao

14. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

No. The Rick Adelman offense used it well, it only became a problem when the rockets decided to play a predictable style of ball. And even then that predictable style got them through the RS..as it will again in the long run. Problem is the post season.

15. OTMax

OTMax Member

Joke all you want, had we used the midrange more instead of just relying on clanking threes, we might have won this game. Shooting some from mid-range keeps the defense on their toes and would've opened up more opportunities from three too.

16. s3ts

s3ts Member

Rockets are ranked 29th for 3pt percentage today.

One thing I know is we're going to lose significant amount of games if we keep playing like that.

But two things for certain -- if we shoot better, we're going to dominate the league.

To me, defense is key. We're going to keep winning games if we can just play good defense. And it has nothing to do with the mid-range game.

17. hakeemthagreat

We are shooting horribly from 3pt%. I think ignoring midrange shots is going to hurt us. Nothing wrong with turning down a contested 3 for a open midrange shot. This is where Moreyball hurts us

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

midrange also allows you to relax and save energy and avoid injuries

19. OTMax

OTMax Member

The people who keep mocking this and ignoring our problem are just looking silly at this point with our 3pt % being what it is. People will say we are 3-1, #1 in power rankings bla bla bla..but let's see what will happen if we keep clanking, especially in the play-offs. I think someone will tell you: I told you so.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think we just need to execute better, push more, and add some layers.

We're 3-1 shooting the 3pter badly. I don't think taking 2s instead (which we might shoot badly anyway) is the correct adjustment