1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Iggy: Almost a Mav?!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, Jul 12, 2013.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Didn't we know this already? First the reports had them going after DH, but then it was Iggy. They wanted Iggy first, no matter what, DH would have just been icing on the cake. It was definitely discussed a lot in the record-breaking godzilla thread.

2. trowa2

trowa2 Member

great time for the mav to tank for wiggins

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I agree generally, though even with Curry getting injured, they should still be a playoff team if Thompson and Barnes can pick up the slack. I'm not as high on Thompson as some, but am probably higher on Barnes than many. So I think best case those picks are mid teens... which could be something. A good GM can turn any pick into something, and you never want to just give away picks, but nobody else was taking those contracts otherwise.

Factor in the DH possibility, however distinct, and it made sense for them. DH didn't go there, they had an opportunity to improve by signing Iggy, so did so. And they replaced Landry with Speights.

I think their interior play is horrible. Lee is the all-stats who cares player and Bogut is missing. But they proved last year that they could win with that interior in the regular season, even without Bogut. And they were so good otherwise that they took out a similar style team in Denver, and gave the Spurs a run for their money.

They've got very very very little chance to win a championship anytime soon, imo... but they do have assets. If there's a star-like player looking to make a move at the trade deadline, is Thompson/Barnes/Bogut a decent package? I think so. If I'm the Blazers, that's a fairly attractive offer for LMA. No draft picks, which sucks, but Thompson/Barnes would really fit well into that rebuild. Lillard, Thompson, Barnes plus future picks makes a good young core. From the Warriors perspective, it's a lot to give up, and you're still stuck with Lee and have no true center, but Curry/Iggy/LMA is a very solid 1,2,3 win-now trio. Still not the best championship contender, but I think slightly improved for the here and now.

Just some thoughts.

I just don't think it was a ton for the Warriors to give up given what the situation was.

4. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Well according to Cuban "DWill was always going to re-sign with Brooklyn".
    Whatever

Cuban Effed up royally with DWill last summer and I hope Mavs fans give him crap for that. His recruitment of Dwill was just pathetically woeful. Then to top it off by saying the guy was always gonna re-sign with Brooklyn. MFer you needed a PG, this one was 50-50 on returning home or staying with his old team, yet you go tape Sharktank instead of going to meet him in person, and you send just the coach, GM and Michael Finley(His fav mavs player I understand).

He just keeps whiffing and striking out. It's actually kinda funny.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Lol At the Ponies

6. smr6

smr6 Member

Cuban let everyone who helped win that title walk with visions of D-Will and Dwight on the horizon. Then he decided filming Shark Tank was more important than attending the team's meeting with D-Will. Without D-Will they had nothing attractive to offer Dwight in Dallas anymore.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I don't understand why Cuban broke that team after winning the chip. What-a-fail.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Nobody wants to live in Dallas
    Dirk is old and not that good anymore
    No supporting cast

9. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

With the signing of Howard and the emergence of Harden and Parson, this likely ends Houston being the 3rd wheel of the Texas Triangle.

Also, this likely ends an 11 year dominance of the Mavericks over the Rockets. Starting in 2003 through 2013, the Mavericks have a records of 36 wins and 13 losses to the Rockets. A winning percentage of 74% against the Rockets. Including the 7 game series win in 2005.

The only good thing is that, with Nowitski on the Mavericks team, the Rockets can rub it in the face of the Mavericks for a few more season, making Nowitski's record against the Rockets at least look more respectable.

But, if Nowitiski were to come to the Rocket, that would be fine and dandy :)

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Go look at the Dwight meeting thread and see what the reactions were after it was reported the Jazz were helping the Warriors out.