1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you're in charge, do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Sep 18, 2019.

?

Do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Pay the man.

91.9%
  2. Let him walk.

8.1%
  1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

... well, take solace knowing only the Yankees have the capability to offer that sort of deal.

Its also not a given that he's the type of player that deserves a long term deal at this point. The best decision is to ride it out for the cheap arbitration years and get whatever value you can from him... or if a trade materializes where the Astros feel they're getting better long-term value at the position, you consider it.

2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I have no problem with Cole or that he got paid by the Yankees. Good on him, he earned it. I will never wish a player ill will like I’m seeing by some here.

Cole was nails for us and dammit we should have won another WS, but oh well.

It’s far from a sure thing that the Yankees go out and win the WS now, anything can happen.

I want to see what the Astros can do to field another winner. So much work to be done on the short and longterm imo. A lot of unanswered questions. I’m all for shaking things up a bit.

Pringles likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Is there really that much more work to be done? Every season is different... but you can't fault the pure talent that still permeates on this team.

4. mikol13

Supporting Member

A lot of talent on the team, yes...

Yes there is work to be done. starting catcher, SP, RP.

Still feel like longterm there is work to be done as well. The team will most likely look pretty different in the next couple of years other than Altuve, Bregman and possibly Springer if a deal can be reached. More young guys going to get a shot. Looks like LMC already has his sights on leaving as well. I’m just thinking out loud.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Seeing how the team looked going into 2017 and where they are now, you're right... a ****-ton can happen in just 2 years.

However, you can't ignore what has already been done or been developed in that time... Altuve solidified himself as a HOFer/MVP candidate, Bregman developed into an MVP candidate, Verlander proved he was still Cy Young capable and they were able to retain him, Springer proved himself as a big game player and the most valuable lead off hitter in baseball, the front office/coaching staff proved you could take on somewhat flawed players like Morton/Cole and turn them into CYA candidates, they got so good that others trying to expose them for cheating to try and bring them down, two WS appearances with 1 win, triple 100 win seasons and counting.

They're not going to fall off a cliff... and if they somehow eventually do, who else would you want to be an architect of a rebuild other than Jeff Luhnow?

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Just like Uncle Charlie

Htown Stros and Pringles like this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I wonder how McHugh’s market is shaping up. I really liked the last few seasons with having both McHugh and Peacock; I felt like between those 2 guys we never really had to worry about a 5th starter or multi-inning reliever, and at times each of them worked as good setup men.

mikol13 and Major like this.
  8. Major

Major Member

I like how so many people here were saying the Astros should pay him $40MM for 7 years with no hesitation, but $36MM for 9 years is just absurd. Is the extra $44MM in 2027 and 2028 really what anyone here cared about?

Htown Stros likes this.
  9. mikol13

Supporting Member

I’m not disappointed with what the team has right now at all. I love this team and they should still at minimum win the division.

While I would have loved the team even more if Cole had returned, I’m not freaking out about it. I’m over it, we all knew he was gone.

I’m actually excited by what Luhnow can possibly do to extend the window with this team. That said, I am concerned with the rotation. Can Verlander keep being the JV we know? Can LMC bounce back after TJS? Can Greinke be Greinke, but eat more innings than he showed thus far? Love Urquidy and his potential, but he’s still a ? Will Whitley finally grow up, develop and start to become what we had all hoped? Man I hope so.

We are all used to this team being damn good, and they still SHOULD be. I’m just saying there could potentially be a drop off. We’ve been a bit spoiled and expect them to be great. I believe Luhnow can keep this team competitive for a longtime, but I feel this is a very important stretch.

lw17 and Pringles like this.
  10. HTown2017Champs

I agree. If you're going to say f*** the Yankees and their fans, then you can't act like one.
    Yes, I hope the Yankees get kept out of the playoffs.
    Yes, I'm going to root for him to underperform his contract and hurt the Yankees financially.
    But rooting for injuries is just a step too much.
    Hopefully the pressure of pitching in the Bronx Zoo (yes I called it that based on their fans' behavior) is too much for him. I just love their fans reacting to stuff like that. Sonny Gray, Jacoby Ellsbury, etc.

RustyHarden and Os Trigonum like this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

The Astros offered 7 at $250 million.

Lol- Now.

Before the Strasburg singing this may have been "in the market"...

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That sort of earmarked money will attract a lot of value in other places and nothing to laugh about.

There is a very low threshold for this deal looking bad for the Yankees long term.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Depends on whether or not he can throw a pitch without tipping it or without his shoulder falling off.

McHugh has major question marks on his ability to make an MLB roster.

lw17 likes this.
  15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

It is laughable as to what he ended up getting after the Nationals outbid themselves on Strasburg was the point. If the Nationals didn't go crazy I think this may have been a reasonable offer as the Yankees first offer was for 7 and 245 million. The 9th year mattered too as the Dodgers lost out at 8 and $300.

I know how valuable it can be for other positions, I'm not a n00b to this side of the sport.

16. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

He pretty much has to be perfect and healthy for that deal not to look bad.

17. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

The Nationals need to get their brains scanned - they’re lucky they squeaked out a WS last year because it’s not happening again while him and Corbin are getting paid like that. Also can’t believe they are letting Rendon walk...I would have paid him that before Strasburg.

lw17 likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

A short haired, beardless, Cole does not look like a $300+ million dollar player. Looks more like Will Harris coming out of the bullpen.

BigM, astros123, lw17 and 4 others like this.
  20. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sampson'd!