1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you're in charge, do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Sep 18, 2019.

?

Do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Pay the man.

91.9%
  2. Let him walk.

8.1%
  1. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

I wish him the best of luck, but I'm glad we're not tied to that monstrous contract. They can't all be Ryans and Verlanders. We made him, and I wouldn't be surprised if his performance floundered a bit in the next few seasons.

No you didn't.

2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Hate seeing the Yankees get better but from an Astros perspective I may like this better than him staying in the division with the Angels. You as a Sox fan gotta deal with him in many more games and will have a tougher time winning the division.

soxfan01 likes this.
  3. soxfan01

soxfan01 Member

Yup I won’t lie. I was definitely disappointed seeing the news. Red Sox have their own demons with this huge question mark rotation. Last thing they needed was the Yankees getting better ugh.

marks0223 likes this.
  4. soxfan01

soxfan01 Member

Alright you caught me. There was no puking.

BeBreezy likes this.
  5. astros123

astros123 Member

LOL. Didi was the Stros MVP last year. The batted .173 and left more runners on baseball then the Stros entire offense. Im not sure how much losing Didi hurts them. You're aware that Andujar is going to be healthy and ready this year right? Hes just as good if not much better then Didi.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Here's to Cole regressing back to his Pirates status....

7. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Good for him

RustyHarden and mikol13 like this.
  8. Mattician

Mattician Member

I mean, I knew he was leaving, but the Yankees? Sigh. The only team I didn't want him to go to. You'd have to say the Yankees are the favorites now.

Watch Correa join him in a couple years.

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Im more worried for the Rays than the Sox at the moment. Sox seem like they have no direction at the moment and the Rays have a pretty good core going forward. Personally, I want both sox and yanks to suffer and have the Rays rise up in that division.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You need to be more worried about Springer signing with the Red Sox next year (if no extension reached now) vs. anything regarding Correa.

12. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Redsox can’t even afford to give Betts an extension and looking to trade Price this offseason to shed salaries. I’m only worried about Astros unable to extend Springer. If we can’t, doesn’t matter where he go really. Unless it’s the Rangers.

everyday eddie likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Red Sox aren't going to become a penny-pinching franchise. They're going to get under the tax threshold if they're not obvious contenders... but they still have ample resources to make a run any given year and will feel fan pressure to spend.

They're one of the obvious franchises Springer would have interest in. His extension has to be priority 1A at this point.

14. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

You mean like Cole going to back to West Coast to pitch for the Angels?

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Had the Angels offered the extra year and $, he'd have gone there. They're not in the position to contend at that level at this point.

Yes, money with contention is the end-all/be-all.... only closely matched by even-money and going home.

Its just silly (and very Astro-woe-is-me fan typical) to worry about Correa's eventual departure vs. vital (if not more vital) players who have a chance to leave before him... and have valid childhood ties to other destinations (as opposed to the "Correa is dying to play in NYC" rhetoric that has never been substantiated)

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

A 9 year contract for any player is beyond absurd. Good luck with that. I hope he fails miserably and so do the Yankees.

17. Mattician

Mattician Member

I wouldn't say worried. I've always thought Correa would leave for more money. The Astros probably won't offer him as much just like with Cole this offseason.

18. msn

msn Member

I mean I get the Yankee hate, but why the ill will toward Cole? Merry Christmas and congratulations, Gerrit. May your ERA vs 28 teams be 0.91 and your ERA vs Houston 13.91.

astros99, desihooper and SWTsig like this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Do you honestly think the Astros should have matched that Cole offer?

Likewise, if Correa continues to not be healthy year after year, do you want to lock him up long-term? Or offer him a long-term extension now when his value is at its lowest?

Correa is cheap as hell right now due to his injuries and under contract for a full 2 more years... the same amount of time the Astros, and their fans, had the pleasure of getting to know Gerrit Cole. If he reaches a Cole-like level the next two years and leaves... there's a very good chance the Astros will again be on the cusp of winning another title. If he doesn't, or gets re-injured, there's not going to be a mega-bucks FA deal for him.

20. Mattician

Mattician Member

To answer your first question. No, because the size and length of the contract. But because it was the Yankees, it makes it harder losing him. Any other team and I wouldn't feel so bad. Well, I guess the Dodgers too.

And I'd like to keep Correa, but I don't think he'll stay.