1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you were Morey: Sell High on Jeremy Lin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by willwmc, Feb 2, 2014.

?

If you were Morey: Sell High on Jeremy Lin?

1. Yes, Sell

267 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. No, Keep through out contract

185 vote(s)
    40.9%
  1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Answered

2. DreamEarlNolan

Thanks for your reply. The whole reason I joined ClutchFans was to enable myself to have discussions such as this with fellow Rockets fans. I live in the Texas panhandle which unfortunately is Mavs, Spurs, and Thunder country, so not a lot of Rockets discussion going on around these parts. I've been a Rocket fan going all the way back to the Moses Malone days. Glad to be a part of ClutchFans.:)

3. AVoiceInACrowd

Yes, your clearly missing my main point which was: Netrtg is not an infallible determinant of what is the best starting lineup.

That was the point of my examples. Yes, I knew that the Rockets lineup was under 60 mins, but it's still flawed since no one thinks that the Brewer lineup is best. That's why I included the Westbrook lineup. It was 280 minutes and they had a negative Netrtg while the team put up one of the best records in the nba during that time. And no I don't "think this relates to the Rockets in that it means Lin should start as Westbrook will when he returns" (you seriously have to stop jumping to these false conclusions of what I'm saying and thinking). What I was thinking is that when Westbrook, who is one of the best point guards in the league on one of the best teams in the league has a negative Netrtg in the starting lineup than it shows that Netrtg is not an infallible determinant of the best starting lineup.

Yes, you don't have to quote me directly. But I'd appreciate it if you don't attribute words and feelings to me that aren't true. "If it makes you feel better to think it's an irrational thing the Rockets do" I never said it's an irrational thing nor do I think that. There's a difference between disagreeing with someone's decision and considering them irrational. If I thought I was 100% sure than yes, I might think they are being irrational. But, it's just my opinion because I'm not sure it's 100% correct and I know it's just an opinion. And geez, why would it make me happy when I don't believe that. I just found that statement insulting and annoying.

I somewhat remember the article. I reread the post that I wrote that you linked to. I think it was well written and I stand by the main point that I wrote several times which was that Stats without context can be misleading.

Please stop jumping to all these false conclusions, it makes it hard to have an intelligent discussion. I'm not making it about you. It's about what you wrote. And no it's not necessarily the same thing. If I were making it about you I would write things like : "If it makes you feel better","Your raging against facts" and etc. Your being disingenuous when you make it seem that I'm arguing that the lineup with Beverley has a higher Netrtg. Nowhere have I disputed that. The problem is your interpretation of Netrtg as a indisputable fact on what's the best starting lineup and that it's not even arguable. One of my pet peeves has always been when someone states their opinion as fact, it's worse when it's done by someone who is obviously smart.

And btw, using descriptive words such as scream and rage is great for works of fiction. But attributing them to me when it's not true while we're having a discussion is insulting.

4. Exiled

Exiled Member

Ok let's trade him but who's going to take 'm

5. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

He's staying

6. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Go back to that other site. You're adding nothing here. And we have hotballa

1 person likes this.
  7. ComeBack

ComeBack Member

Everyone is up for trade. If we can trade Harden for Lebron 99% of us would do it, except the 1% that wants to be different.

No if your saying sell high on Lin what exactly are we going to get?

8. jocar

jocar Member

Lin didn't close too well tonight with them missed layups and failed iso on that clutch possession. Mentally block it out, stat!

Seriously though, he's doing great with the 2nd unit, let's just keep him there.

9. Crunchyball

Crunchyball Rookie

He was burning it up with Dwight. Jocar .. But heck those 2 missed layups from fast break drives. He usually makes those. Wtf lin

10. Clarinetmonster

Let's keep him - he's a great 6th man - aggressive at all times now - and the connection with Dwight is fun to watch.

11. steady

steady Member

High risk, high reward, Lin.

Was Sam Cassell like that too?

12. Play07

Play07 Member

If you want to trade high on Lin imagine what you could get for harden. Lin can't get you much.

13. team5

team5 Member

Wow a site police. Tell me what would you like me to add? Or just tell me what you like to say and I will just repeat it.

14. Play07

Play07 Member

Yep but he was on a rookie contract tho.

15. AVoiceInACrowd

Your first quote is out of context. It wasn't about Clutch but a different poster.

Your response seems like it's coming from an sincere place and it's politely written. I respect that and you for it. But I feel your misunderstanding the point of my argument and it's intentions.

I'm not trying to give Clutch a bad name. Irregardless of who it is, I'm going to argue with them if I think something they wrote is wrong. To be honest, I'm more likely to argue with them if I think they are an intelligent person as it usually leads to a better discussion.

A pet peeve of mine has always been when someone states their opinion as fact. And the argument for me with clutch is the distinction of what is a fact and what is an opinion. And the thing is that I have explained using stats as to why it's not a fact but an opinion. Also, I've never debated his stats, only his interpretation of the stats.

16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

No way.

For all the talk about how bad his contract is, there is only one more season on it after this one. Whether or not he actually starts, he is a starting caliber NBA point. However, PG is the deepest position in the league and given that Jeremy is inconsistent i don't think that from a basketball perspective you can get back greater or equal value. I really like Jeremy, i think he is the best PG on our team and i think that when he plays well we are a really really tough team to beat. The problem for Lin, is related to his consistency and i think the only solution to a problem like that is time. The light could come on this week, or it could take a year. I dont know. No fan can really know for sure. SO i think there is a question of whether or not trading him now would really be selling high on him.

He is on a good roll right now, but he has been before. To me even though his shooting and defense have improved, his decision making is still inconsistent and isn't quite at the level it was at during the latter part of last season. I remember a quote from another head coach saying that the key to beating the Rockets last year was shutting down Lin, since he was the engine that fueled the Rockets. I think Morey needs to keep Lin, let him play the high risk/high reward style that he excels at, and continue to use Bev and Lin together. Trading him right now is too much of a risk especially considering the limited return we would get for him and the uncertainty of how whatever new player we get would mesh.

In essence I am saying that due to our playstyle and roster, Lin has more value to the rockets than he does to many other teams. When one considers that it takes 2 to tango , i find it unlikely that Morey will be able to find a deal that truly improves the Rockets. I think that getting Howard has skewed some peoples perspectives into thinking that we are in an absolute win now mode. Morey is too damn smart to give up excess value to incrementally improve the team this season. We still have 30 games of development for our current roster and I would wait till the off season to think about making a significant move at all. Despite not looking pretty, we have a nice record this year and if we can get back to playing our style more and being a little bit more comfortable with each other , we will be scary in the Playoffs.

17. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

^^^ His role is inconsistent and he literally has to cover Harden's man as well as his own on D. Bev has to do the same thing on defense. Harden just isn't a committed defensive player that sometimes goes on a random chucking spree way too often.

18. adobo

adobo Member

I can see Garcia (if he agrees), Casppi and even D'Mo being traded but not Lin....i think he has become too much of an important piece now to the team especially in his 6th man role and has been a big reason on the good roll that this team is having

19. GageD

GageD Member

But your use of netrtg was flawed. I know lin fans get upset over it but the clutch article was sound to use netrtg as it did.

20. sammo

sammo Member

can you imagine how much crap morey will get from the owner and the fans if he traded jlin again and jlin ended up being an all star or something? and it being the third all-star grade (if it panned out that way) point guard he traded after lowry and dragic?

i would be pretty scared to make the ballsy move unless i knew that whoever we were trading jlin for was a bonafide star.

which we won't get for jeremy lin.