1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you were Morey: Sell High on Jeremy Lin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by willwmc, Feb 2, 2014.

?

If you were Morey: Sell High on Jeremy Lin?

1. Yes, Sell

267 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. No, Keep through out contract

185 vote(s)
    40.9%
  1. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

I agree with you that there are merits for either Lin or PB staring. The coaching staff think PB starting gives us a higher chance of wining. I get that also. But I would not have used the statement "PB deserves to start over Lin" because it may imply Lin does not deserve starting. In my oppinion, both of them deserve to start. I may be wrong. With Lin starting, we actually have slightly higher winning % or at least about the same. We may not win as many points with Lin starting overall as with PB starting. But last time I check, winning by 1 point counts as much as winning by 30. So if winning is the ultimate goal of basketball games, then Lin is as desrving to start as PB.

Also, I am not that high on who starts anyway. But I care more about how players are used to their best strength and if players and the team are put in the best position to succeed. I actually like Lin to be used as a SG sometimes, because for his development and our success, he has to play better off ball. The same should be true to JH as well. When JH dominates the ball too much, the ball often stops moving and thus becomes sticky, and our offense often struggles. So Jh has to play off ball better also. So when JH and Lin are in the game together, they should take turns and attack. As we see many games this season and last season, that is what makes us so hard to defend. That is also when we play beautifully and usually win games more importantly. On top of that, DH is improving post play. So all is well :grin:

So we all need to relax a little. At least we are moving to a right direction and the team is gelling if the past a few games are indication. I could care less if PB or Lin starting, or if sb thins Dragic is better than Lin or even JH as long we are wining :grin::grin::grin: These constant back and forth arguments are meaningless :grin:

2. rocketblood713

Right everyone needs to just let it go ..Lin is NOT going to start you can scream from the roof tops all you want nothing will change so just root for the Rockets or find some other team to root for ...cause it looks like both sides will never agree with each other on this that or the other

3. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

I think Lin going to another team and flourishing is in the back of Morey's mind. Once bitten, twice shy.

Got a feeling Morey won't trade Lin, especially with his recent good form.

4. N/A

N/A Member

unless the alternative is a hands down upgrade over Lin, I doubt Morey would move him. After all, 15 million isn't coming from him and 8 million cap isn't too bad. It would only be a factor if that alternative I mentioned was a clear upgrade. Then Lin would be on the move.

5. verysimplejason

8M wouldn't matter that much if only CP25 can be offered a smaller contract. At the end of the day, it's just a matter of keeping whoever is more valuable. If only there's no cap...

6. calcium

calcium Member

I dont see PBeverley's name in the list?

... just kidding :)

7. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Rubio. Eugh.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Not enough of a market for Lin. I'd focus on developing him in that 6th man roll. There's still upside there.

Btw, with all this talk about how Omer's balloon payment in his contract has made him difficult to trade, if that's true it would also apply to Lin. Granted he would make more money for a franvhise than Omer, but owners are still gonna be Leary of paying either $12 mil next season. I suspect we are married to Lin given his market. And I do think we can win with him if we put him in a roll that maximizes his strengths.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wouldn't say that Lin is worse than Teague, Jennings or Holiday. People often judge a player by what kind of box score stats they remember he put up, but some of these guys haven't really lived up to their reputation and have not particularly been helping their teams win.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Those are great examples. They put up points and dimes and look good on the box score, but if you look at their efficiency it's abizmal. Shooting selection is terrible.

11. King1

King1 Contributing Member

This is the worst post ever made on the internet.

12. Albinoswordfish

I think everyone is forgetting that Les Alexander is a HUGE Lin fan. He's the one who told Morey to get Lin at pretty much any cost. It didn't matter that DM and KM didn't want Lin, heck Dragic could've been Morey's main guy but from what I've read Les loves Lin.

So I really doubt Lin is going to get traded anytime soon. In fact I think Kevin McHale will be gone before Lin is.

13. DreamEarlNolan

It could be postulated that without Jeremy and Omer the Rockets would not have James or Dwight. Would Harden have signed a max contract with Houston if they didn't have Jeremy and Omer? Would the Rockets have traded for Harden if he wasn't willing to sign a max deal that would lock him up with the Rockets for several years? If it weren't for the contributions of Jeremy and Omer would the Rockets record have been good enough last year for Dwight to consider Houston? Omer's attitude following the signing of Dwight justifies much of the hate that has come his way, but I personally find it sad that so many Rocket fans can't wait to get rid of Jeremy and to a lesser degree Omer. The two of them have made some great contributions to the Rockets over the last two years.

1 person likes this.
  14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Absolutely. If a team does not have three super stars, it can still compete for the ring if they have players on their bench who are talented enough to start for many other NBA squads. There are many recent examples of this. The Spurs with Manu and the Lakers with Odom come immediately to mind.

15. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

that is the reason why i don't see lin going anywhere unless he is part of a package to get that 3rd star if the rockets are in fact going to do that. apparently, even most rocket fans don't know this.

16. TheJet

TheJet Member

I don't think that's true. Aside from stuff I read online I don't know many Rockets fans that feel that strongly about trading Lin. If he's contributing to the team and helping us win we're all for it.

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

1. Harden absolutely would have signed a max contract. That was what he wanted. That was why he was ultimately traded from OKC.

2. Rockets would have definitely pulled the trigger still. They made it very clear they would "rent" stars in the hopes of convincing them. We blew up our team and was ready to trade for Dwight with no commitment from him to sign an extension.

3. Howard came to Houston because of Parsons, Harden, Morey, Les, cap situation, solid surrounding core, and a misplaced belief that some supernatural force sent Houstonians to Aspen to recruit him. He would have came regardless of Lin. Here is the thing, players are not flocking to Houston because of some mediocre PG.

4. What Rockets fan wants to get rid of Lin? Almost every single Rockets fan would prefer to keep him as 1) we do not expect to be able to trade him for fair value 2) like you said, he helps the team win when he is not playing like his balls were lopped off. Asik on the other hand, people want to trade because 1) he doesn't want to be here so why bother 2) he was and might still be a valuable.

5. You shouldn't feel sad for Asik by the way. He is being a complete b**** about the whole thing IMO. We gave him a great contract and the opportunity to show the world that he was capable. No one asked him to sign that contract; he chose it and he chose to sign it. Rockets fans are all about the team (the real fans at least) and players come and go all the time. If he doesn't want to be here, why would we want him here? Get out and bring in some players who actually want to play and can help us win.

18. dragician

dragician Member

Jeremy Lin is a the best Plan B we have when our superstars are having a bad night. He's a perfect 6th man. He's a keeper.

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Agreed

20. DreamEarlNolan

Very good points chenjy9. A follow up on a few of your points:

1. I agree that Harden was looking for a max contract, but I'm not sure if he would have signed one with the Rockets if he didn't feel that they had players in place to be competitive.

2. You are probably correct that the Rockets would have taken a chance trading for Harden without him signing an extension. They did attempt to get Dwight before he went to the Lakers and were willing to take a chance of losing him at the end of the season.

3. Howard came to Houston because he felt they gave him his best chance of winning a championship. I believe the success the Rockets had last year helped convince him of that, and I believe Jeremy and Omer were a big part of that success.

4. Maybe I just frequent the wrong threads, but I'm constantly reading post where people say they can't wait for the Rockets to get rid of Lin.

5. In truth I wouldn't say I feel bad for Asik or even Lin. They both make more money than I could ever dream of making in a life time and they get to play a sport for a living. I just find it sad that based on what I read many Rockets fans seem to have no emotional connection to the players and only view them as chess pieces or bargaining chips.