1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you were Morey: Sell High on Jeremy Lin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by willwmc, Feb 2, 2014.

?

If you were Morey: Sell High on Jeremy Lin?

1. Yes, Sell

267 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. No, Keep through out contract

185 vote(s)
    40.9%
  1. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

I agree with the fact that Beverley has done better so far, and unless Lin performs consistently at the level he has the last few games I agree with the opinion that it is better to start Beverley. But no matter that it is well supported, it is still an opinion.

I'm not entirely sure of the level of proof required of basketball discussions, but this one doesn't seem to have reached fact level to me.

2. Rox7

Rox7 Member

Facts show that Lin should be a closer in the 4th but I constantly see the benching.
    Hence coaches make decision by eye test or whom they prefer not Numbers.

3. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

You don't see the other side to what you're saying? Clutch has given you stats, which you say are debatable. But you say over and over that it's not a fact that the Beverley lineup isn't the better lineup. But you just keep repeating it. You can't say why. If you're not going to accept facts(stats) in a debate about which of two things is better do you really expect the person you're debating to listen to your side of the debate? Especially when your side is "I just don't think it's a fact."

Personally I don't know stats. You throw some mathy looking formula at me and tell me that Matt Maloney was statistically the best PG the Rockets ever had? I'd definitely look at you like you were nuts but I couldn't off the top of my head rebut you. But I'd sure find out from those who do know stats. That's what this site is about.

If you want come here because you love the Rockets, listen to facts. If you want to come here because Jeremy Lin is your favorite player, listen to facts. But don't come here and call people out and offer nothing to the site except one more rotten fan that gives a very cool Rocket a bad name.

4. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

It certainly appears that Lin steps it up a notch in the closing minutes of a close game; to me, he seems to do it more than any of the other players on the team. But

1) Is this enough minutes on which to base any conclusions? (Answer: No)
    2) Does this personal improvement make up for any initial deficit relative to Beverley?
    3) Why the crap can't he do the same thing at other points in the game?

5. qiantom1999

qiantom1999 Rookie

2) and 3) have nothing to do with playing in the 4th. In fact, I am not sure if they have anything to do with anything.

6. Rox7

Rox7 Member

Some people just have the clutch gene and can switch on another gear.
    Just want to say if facts and numbers are what coaches are based to make decision, Lin should start at the start of the season.

7. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Well, 3 is just frustration.

But as for the rest, the fact that his play has been better in the closing minutes of games does not say whether sticking him in the lineup (vs someone else) improves the team's chance of winning.

Personally, I think it does. And considering the number of times he is in the closing lineup, I think the coaches (usually) think that as well.

8. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Numbers aren't the only facts they are dealing with, and they have better numbers than we do in any case.

The coaches aren't stupid, they know enough about basketball to get hired at a professional level as a coach, and they want to win games. That doesn't mean they are always right, but it certainly earns them the benefit of the doubt on debatable decisions.

9. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

you should always sell whenever the value is high regardless of who or what it is. pretty fundamental concept

10. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

...unless of course you believe that value will increase even more

11. Clarinetmonster

This is all fair enough, but you also have to have some stats dude explain to us why the starting lineup for OKC is statistically better with Reggie Jackson than with Westbrook. Facts, gotta accept em. Anyways, I'm fine witn Lin coming off the bench or starting - as long as he finishes games, he's good at that.

12. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I don't think Lin's value is as high as it will get, so to sell him now would come back to hurt the Rockets unless we are packaging him with others for a superstar. Anything else is a wasted asset.

13. jonstarks

jonstarks Member

was never a huge fan of Westbrook...seems like a chuck... yea he avg 20+ ppg for the last 4-5 yrs but avgs ~18 shots a game, career 43% FG% & 30% 3P% (volume shooter I guess)

14. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

Exactly. Why I feel like some of us support more Dragic (a player on another team) instead of supporting Lin (a member of Rockets)? So who is really on the Rockets, the ghost of the past or the present? I am really confused.

If Dragic really wanted to play for the Rockets, why would he insist on the player option? Morey was known only to give player options to franchise player. In a way, he chose the Suns over the Rockets.

Also, Lin was initially offered a more reasonable contract and he would happily accept that. His current contract was upped only after Knicks said they'd match it. So it is not his fault.

15. Clarinetmonster

But if you think this relates to the Rockets in that it means Lin should start as Westbrook will when he returns, I've got news for you: Jeremy Lin's not Russell Westbrook.

Wow, thanks for that revelation. I have one too - PBev is not Reggie Jackson. Let's see, who else, umm....oh yea Parsons is not Durant. Ok, that's enough of that. Seriously though, advanced stats are a funny thing sometimes - with the Westbrook situation it's not only the lineup stats that look better with Reggie, but the individual net rtg is higher for Reggie as a player, just as it is with Bev and Lin. Of course Westbrook and Lin's PIE are both higher than their counterparts - what this all tells us....I have no clue other than Westbrook and Lin are INDIVIDUALLY having more of an impact on the floor.
    Same with defensive impact, Lin's defensive impact is rated higher than Bev's but the lineup stats are different.

16. Clarinetmonster

Maybe it's just that both Bev and Jackson are both more 'hustle' guys who are less offensively talented than their counterparts, but that hustle rubs off on the rest of the guys.

17. verysimplejason

Anyway, Rockets management seems keen on keeping CP25. We all know it will have to be near max offer if Rockets want to keep him. At the end of the day, financially Rockets won't be able to keep JLin also unless he's willing to accept less than what he's receiving now. I don't think that's possible. So you have to sell him high and get some replacement that will at least soften the impact of losing him. There are many players that can approximate whatever he's doing for the Rockets. It's aside from the fact that come playoffs time, Rockets need some continuity in interior defense every time Howard sits. My vote is still to have a 6th man guard capable of scoring in volume for short minutes (like Nate Robinson) and a defensive big man. Lin and Asik seem to be the missing pieces but they are too expensive to keep (or too much of a cry baby). In spite of the ups and downs of Garcia, I still believe he's a capable SG/SF backup which is why I don't think the Rockets needs an upgrade at the wing.

18. yummyhawtsauce

it's possible he wants to set up his teammates first - just a guess.

19. delalex

delalex Member

Rox management should take a move ASAP.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't get what the fuss is. There's data that shows Bev is more effective with the starting unit than Lin. So Lin playing off the bench make sense in some ways.

Lin seems to be happy with the role, he gets a lot of minutes, and usually is in at the end of the game. What is the big deal?