1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you were Les, after last season's debacle...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vlaurelio, Aug 11, 2016.

?

Would you? Please choose the first thing you'll do or at least the closest thing to it and explain

1. Sell the team

15.2%
  2. Replace Morey

8.3%
  3. Replace coaching staff

27.3%
  4. Upgrade roster (parts of it) around Harden

36.4%
  5. Demote Harden from being #1 and acquire new #1

1.5%
  6. Trade Harden (for who/what)

3.0%
  7. Change nothing and demand Harden to do a far better job

2.3%
  8. None of the above

6.1%
  1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think people voting for him to sell want him to sell...not that it's the logical thing for an owner to do at this point....team is profitable, there's no reason for him to sell, unless he's tired of mking money.

Obvious answer are coaching and player upgrade....

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Where's the "Replace the Mascot" option?

3. bro2044

bro2044 Member

I voted none of the above because I never would have allowed it to get to that point.

I DO believe firing McHale was the right thing to do, but I also believe his contract extension was silly previously. The team did well under him due to the ability of the players, but the lack of any coherent system made us horribly inconsistent and we could not deal with the top tier of the league.

Take away the D of the previous year... and we were dropping game after GAME by 20+ and seeing nothing positive from the group. Truth be told, it was bound to happen with our style of play, and eventually the holes in our game shined through and other teams in the league starting picking us apart as they should have.

After McHale? Well, I don't really see how Bickerstaff would have been a choice or improvemant, because most of the staff stayed the same and wasn't he very much a McHale protege? We BARELY played better the rest of the year... and although I think I would have immediately search for a new head coach to replace McHale, ESPECIALLY with a core like Harden and Howard, I at LEAST would have seen that after 20 games or so with Bickerstaff we weren't improving, and started to move forward instead of allowing him to carry the interim position the rest of the season.

Bickering, drama, and inconsistency led the way, and we allowed a WCFinalist team to dwindle to a bottom-of-the-playoffs joke. I don't think that we deserved to be there, and I think there is a possibility that we hurt Harden's window in Houston to be a part of a great team.

The world will spin on, not every team can win a championship, but my god did we let opportunities go to waste. I've never turned off games, and this year I probably forced myself to turn off at least 20 if not more because I felt SO disgusted watching them play. Even now I feel frustrated and annoyed. I have watched some horrible things happen in Rockets history, but I do not think I have ever witnessed anything as consistently testing of my patience as the 2015-16 campaign.

We all deserved better.

4. heypartner

"Demote Harden from being #1 and acquire new #1"

This option is really the "Sign Durant in the off-season" option because we need two superstars.

Nice wording by OP to make people afraid to pick the true, overwhelmingly popular throughout the year. Only iconoclast has picked it so far.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This team isn't going anywhere and now it's maxed out and unlikely to get much better over the course of the next few years.

I think it would have been much better to get rid of all the high contracts and go for picks. The mistake was made 6 months ago, when you should have traded Howard for a first round pick and junk, missed the playoffs and you have two first round picks to start rebuilding. Let the team tank, give Harden his extension and then see what you can do next summer. If you can't hit it then with all the picks and the money for FA - you trade Harden and get value while you can and truly begin the rebuild process.

People say that's the "philly" model. Well, it's also the Bulls model, the Spurs Model (tim duncan anyone?), the Warriors Model, The OKC model, the Cavs model, and so on and so forth.

You have to be bad before you can be good.

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

1. You think Durant is going to want play under jbb with Dwight, dmo/jones, and pbev?

2. Durant is not a true #1. If he was then he would have stayed with OKC.

3. Curious how would you have generically worded it?

#26 vlaurelio, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

First call would be to Jeff Van Gundy.

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Technically the correct answer to the question is to fire the coaching staff, since that's typically the first thing that happens whenever these type of lay-an-egg scenarios happen.

JB was awful and a total lightweight was an NBA coach. We're better by default.

9. alethios

alethios Member

i'd vote for both a new coaching staff and assemble a better cast of players around Harden. Both the coaching staff and the lack of cohesion/talent were equally appalling.

10. heypartner

When you have roster change options like these:

1. Upgrade roster (parts of it) around Harden
    2. Trade Harden (for who/what)
    3. Change nothing and demand Harden to do a far better job

The normal wording for the companion option is "Get a 2nd superstar." Not by adding an editorial comment "Demote Harden, and get a 2nd superstar."

No big deal ... I just think you're not getting a true poll of cfnet, when you don't include our #1 wish ... land a 2nd superstar. I mean, that was why we got Howard in the first place.

11. Remlap

Remlap Member

It's not typically up to the owner to tinker with roster/player changes is it?

So the options on the poll seem limited.
    Coaching staff is the obvious choice. But even owners are not usually directly
    involved in the process. Odd how that went down

12. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

I picked None of the above because I wouldnt have signed off on the McHale extention. And going back before getting Harden, I wouldnt have constrained my GM to rebuild while still "being competitive". And sitting at 27-28 at All Star break, I wouldve spoke with my GM and Interim Head Coach about playing the young guys and keeping our pick instead of stumbling our way into a 4-1 smacking, that many saw coming, by GSW.

13. vlaurelio

LOL I asked what will you do AFTER last season's debacle not what you would have done BEFORE that

Is it very difficult to understand?

14. heypartner

How can the option to add another superstar still only have one vote? Was it the wording of the option?

15. vlaurelio

IMHO

D12 who was part of the roster outside of Harden was worth 20M and was the other superstar
    Other expirings in the roster plus add'l capspace is another 20M

40M was more than enough to get another superstar (with harden is still #1) and Upgrade the roster outside of Harden

That's what people voted for

16. Raven

Raven Member

I've said countless times that there's nothing more dangerous than a desperate GM with money to burn. I've also praised Morey for not being that type of GM, but he became that type of GM this Summer. I think what changed is either Morey is feeling the heat or that Les has taken a more hands on role, probably a bit of both.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

"If you ain't first, you're Les" - Ricky Bobby.

18. Raven

Raven Member

Something like that, yeah. Holding onto Dwight for the playoffs was a mistake, and making the playoffs was a worse mistake. No FA gave a damn the Rockets didn't give up. It was an utterly meaningless accomplishment, which cost the Rockets a valuable asset.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Get new uniforms and stay out of the design process.

20. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Replace the coaching staff, obviously...

but beyond that... While I think there are MANY moves that should be done to make this team a serious contender... I don't know that many of them are in Les' best interest...

Les does not have the same goals as the fans...

WE want a winner... LES wants to make money.... yeh, I'm sure Les would like to win too, but make no mistake, the priority is the almighty dollar...

The moves made this off season will help Les to further line his pockets... period!

MDA, no d signings, continuing to coddle Harden... these are all moves designed to keep the gravy train rollin' - not build a championship team... :(