1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If You Take An Officer's Taser In Fight With The Officer That You Started, You Deserve Getting Shot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jun 14, 2020.

1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

man, this is such a terrible case and came at the worst possible time.

on the one hand, they had his car and had already run his ID. they knew who he was and could have gotten him later...but dude resisted arrest, fought two cops, grabbed one of their tasers and as he was running he pointed it at the officer. if he didnt have the taser and got shot while he was running it would be a totally different story, but in the heat of the moment i can kind of understand the use of lethal force in this case.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That cop had to not only figure his safety but the safety of others had he not put a stop to it.

If the officer gives up chase - that guy had already proven he was willing to resort to violence to get away.

What happens if he carjacks someone in his attempt to escape ?

I never saw in the video if they were able to pat him down .... possible he had a weapon (he didn't but thats not the point).

He had resorted to violence.. He didn't deserve to die but he's responsible for the result - all he had to do was take a ride for PI and sleep it off , he made another choice - to commit multiple felonies.

jo mama likes this.
  3. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Yeah let's not look at any facts of the case ... obviously only killed because he is black, right?

As far as I'm concerned, the officer in Minnesota can have his head chopped off in the middle of downtown.

This man fought a cop, stole a weapon from a cop while resisting arrest, and died pointing it at the officer ... making him a martyr is a slap into the face of real injustices

Andre0087, B@ffled and Corrosion like this.
  4. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Too bad we don't have any police officers who can comment the kind of pressure they have to be in this situation, because many of us can say the following

Well he should of have
    Well he could of have
    Well he is wrong
    Well he is right
    Well he is dumb

But many of us have never been in this situation but i am sure many of us have been in situation of a fight at school. We all know that feeling of anxiety, rush, etc

Mix that up with the fact our policemen are human beings...I find it easier to believe, human beings do make mistakes, bad judgments. Your never going to fix this.

The question is, was the police officer under the guidelines of what he was trained to do, is it correctly justified or not. So much Grey area. Unlike Floyd, the cop didn't have minutes to decide and the suspect (no matter if it's a taser or a knife) took a weapon away. I will let the judge decide.

Maybe we need Robocop....but remember Robots have no Grey...If ED-209 had his way, he would of gave that dude 5 seconds before it fired.

Anyway, i would hate to be cop right now (especially a good cop) because they are all receiving a negative label. More should resign before their own lives are endangered until everything is clear.....if not any cop that walks today's street is a target of Hate. Wait for the reforms, defunding, or whatever solution is implemented. The system is not perfect and we need to make sure the system is good for everyone.

I am sure there are plenty of poor/bad cops, don't feel bad for them at all. But i know many good cops, who would die for their community, they are the ones i feel bad for.

#104 MightyMog, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Corrosion and FrontRunner like this.
  5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Here's the reality... officers aren't trained enough in hand to hand and control techniques. Unless they seek further training on their own, they pretty much have what they learned at the academy and that is it.

They do qualify at least once and in some cases up to 6 times a year with their firearms.....

This is why defunding the police is stupid. We need more officers so they can rotate them off the streets to get trained up so this kind of thing doesn't happen. Expecting better policing with less funding is laughable. Especially coming from the left where throwing money at a problem is always part of the solution.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is something that I've said for a long time that LEO need much more training in martial arts particularly grappling arts.

I also agree that that will take money. We also need better pay and benefits to attract a better candidates to become LEO.

FranchiseBlade and B@ffled like this.
  7. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

'Undertaker's love zealous taser takers'!

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I wouldn't say "More officers" but I think we need more public officials with different roles. Not just violent offender officers. That's what the activist statement "Defund the Police" is really about. Re-thinking the role of Police, and restructuring who gets called in what situations.

The old saying "when you are a hammer everything looks like a nail" applies here. When a Cop is called for basically every situation, a trigger could be pulled in almost every situation.

I honestly think we can also re-imagine traffic safety officials too. The person pulling over people for speeding or running a red light does not need to be the same person who would be getting called if there was an active shooter. That person doesn't even really need to be armed. If you refuse to take the ticket they have your license plate, and can get a warrant for your arrest served. There's no need for guns to be involved if you are just pulling someone over for a broken tail light.

Just an example for how we need to re-think the role of the police. The saying "Defund The Police" is a provocative activist statement to start up conversations like this one to enact change. If the provocation works to make change, thats a good thing.

9. edwardc

edwardc Member

Wrong the officer knew he didn't have any weapons before the tried to arrest him so that one won't work.Bottom line here is that he shot in the back no threat to that officer deadly force was not called for.

FrontRunner likes this.
  10. edwardc

edwardc Member

But it's clear it's easy to shoot someone in the back.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except when they shot him in the back and killed him despite the fact that he wasn't in a position to kill any of them. That wasn't too polite. It was almost downright rude.

#111 FranchiseBlade, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Sweet Lou 4 2 and FrontRunner like this.
  12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I believe holding the people responsible for their own actions. The officer that fired his gun is the one that is the most responsible for the death.

13. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

He took a tazer. He tried to take a gun. If he had tazed the officer, he could've taken the gun. It's not a clear case by any means. When he turned and aimed at the cop, you can clearly see that was the moment he was shot. I'll bet you'd feel differently if you were a cop putting your life on the line every day. Have some perspective. @Jayzers_100 is a prosecutor, I believe. If anyone knows the law out of the 3 of us, it would be him.

14. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

And the guy had no responsibility for his actions leading up to his death? Are we living in a world where you don't have to have any accountability for your actions?

Corrosion likes this.
  15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I agree. Also, many of us haven't been in the position of being a black male who is more likely to be followed, pulled over, harassed, questioned, disrespected, under threat of being brutalized, or possibly killed because of skin pigmentation. In addition, many of us haven't been in the position to hear more tales of that happening from everyone else in your family and those that you know and have witnessed it happening over and over.

Yet, people are saying.

Well he should of have
    Well he could of have
    Well he is wrong
    Well he is right
    Well he is dumb

We have seen police getting off free because they made the wrong choice, but it was possible they believed they were in danger. It ends up being true so they were wrong, and they still aren't held accountable.

It's long past time that police were held accountable for being wrong when it costs a person their life. We need to train them better and regulate them better so they don't make those wrong decisions.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Sure he should be held accountable for resisting arrest. I've said that from the beginning. That doesn't mean it was okay to shoot him in the back. He was on foot, and wouldn't be driving. He wasn't threatening anyone else other than the officers. They knew he had no other weapons. They had his address. All they needed to do was drop back and follow him, or go to his house at a different time. Their actions increased the tension and likelihood of everyone involved in the situation making a mistake.

Then the officers made a fatal mistake.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

If an officer fears that he or she is under threat of being overpowered or knocked unconscious (a stun gun would definitely apply here), they have to treat that situation as a deadly threat because the officer carries a gun that could be used against themselves. This is part of why having an additional response force that is not armed with deadly weapons would be a step in the right direction I believe.

edwardc and Corrosion like this.
  18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The officer should be trained and able to analyze that when the suspect is running full speed away from the police and isn't aiming the stun gun in a way that would be able to hit, and there were other officers present, they should know that it isn't a situation that requires deadly force.

I understand why he was fearful. But he was wrong to use deadly force. More training and better training is needed. We've seen officers justify their fear when they've killed children in a matter of seconds. Yet, like in this case, they were wrong in what they feared. It isn't fair, right, or just that they get to keep being wrong.

DVauthrin likes this.
  19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Before he resisted and started fighting and tried to tase them they weren't polite?

20. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It is true that you never shoot someone in the back, but you don't know if he wasn't a threat to anyone else. He was desperate to get away and drunk. That's a bad mix.

Do you really believe that cops should just let people go who don't want to willingly be arrested?

Do you think he might possibly decide not to be home now that he knows someone is looking for them?

People forget to update addresses all the time so it might not even be his home.

Do you think it's a good use of manpower trying to track someone down?

What about Brooks's actions? From deciding to drink and drive, then resist arrest, then assault the cops, then take the stun gun, then run away, then shoot the stun gun at the cops. I don't know if the cop did something illegal by shooting him, my guess is that he won't be convicted if he's even charged. The cop will probably win a wrongful termination lawsuit against the Atlanta Police Department and Brooks's family will probably win a wrongful death lawsuit against them, too.

Did y'all know Dwight Howard's uncle is the Atlanta district attorney?

Corrosion likes this.