1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If You Take An Officer's Taser In Fight With The Officer That You Started, You Deserve Getting Shot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jun 14, 2020.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rayshard Brooks, the black man shot by Atlanta police outside a Wendy’s in the city’s Southside Friday night, suffered organ damage and blood loss from two gunshot wounds, the Fulton County Medical Examiner’s Office determined Sunday after completing an autopsy.

"His cause of death: gunshot wounds of the back," an investigator from the medical examiner’s office told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard released a statement about it Sunday. “Today, members of my staff had the unfortunate duty of witnessing the autopsy of Mr. Brooks as part of our continued investigation.“Because this is a homicide investigation, there are several technical requirements that must be met before we are able to reach a decision. That includes the confirmation of the ballistics involved and obtaining a preliminary report from the Medical Examiner,” according to the DA’s statement.

#81 J.R., Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  2. adoo

adoo Member

Atlanta DA "based on the footage from body cam video, charges could be brought against the officers."

"from the body cam video, (Brooks) did not seem to present any kind of threat to anyone,
    and so the fact that it would escalate to his death just seems unreasonable," "It just seems like
    this is not the kind of conversation and incident that should have led to someone's death."​

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/14/us/atlanta-protests-rayshard-brooks-sunday/index.html

When the officers arrive to the scene, Brooks is asleep behind the wheel in the drive-through lane,
    according to the body camera video. Footage from both officers' body cameras and from their vehicles shows
    them speaking with Brooks for nearly 30 minutes outside the Wendy's.

Brooks says he does not have any weapons on him and the officers pat him down to confirm as much,
    the videos show. their interaction was "cordial" and noted that Brooks answered the officers' questions.
    After Brooks takes a breathalyzer test, one officer tells him to put his hands behind his back and they move to handcuff him. Brooks then resists the arrest
    and begins struggling with the officers as they tussle on the ground for about 30 seconds. During the struggle, Brooks grabs an officer's Taser,
    escapes their grasp and starts running away from the two, the videos show. "He's got my f---ing Taser,

In summary,

• before the struggle, the officers had confirmed that Brooks had no weapon on him
    • after the struggle, they saw Brooks had taking one of their taser, which they know is not a lethal weapon

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How does that apply to this case then?

That there are justifiable uses of lethal force by LE doesn’t mean that is the case here or that there isn’t systemic bias in the use of force.

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I thought there was some good civil debate in this thread. And someone that doesn't delve into this forum often have come to the following conclusions on this instance....

1. People should just comply with law enforcement. This is made harder when law enforcement has made it more difficult to be a minority too often.

2. I wish the guy wasnt so stupid as to be drinking and driving and falling asleep in a Wendy's parking lot. Then wrestle with the cops and take their taser? How on Earth do you make so many significant bad decisions in a row?

3. My expectation as a civilian is that in that moment a properly trained officer would understand that the man was unarmed except for the taser and not have drawn his gun. I realize how difficult That must be in the heat of the moment but I still feel like that is a reasonable expectation and the death could have been avoided. The cop should be punished.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I was responding to a particular post

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Rubber bullets are in the less than lethal category but they are crowd control tools and not meant for apprehending or self defense. I’ve also seen first hand what they can do and while death is rare from them they can maim. Someone in my neighborhood lost an eye from getting shot by one two weeks ago.

The truth is there is no absolute safe way of stopping and physically controlling another humans. There is a range of possibly danger but as we’ve seen with Floyd and Eric Garner people can be killed by LE even not using a weapon. What I think we should be focussing on is use of force, when and how to use force, and not so much the particular force used. Anytime you make the decision to use force of any kind there needs to be an understanding of the risk involved with it.

joshuaao, snowconeman22 and JumpMan like this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Autopsy shows this thug was performing a sick trick.

Nook likes this.
  8. Mummywrap

Mummywrap Member

I'm unsure of Georgia's Penal Code, but in Texas, in the use lethal force, an immediate threat of death or serious bodily injury must be present.

That isn't the exact wording, but you get the idea.
    A taser being discharged at you from a person running away from you doesn't demonstrate this IMO.

The take of this man tasing the officer and taking the his gun has a few problems. First, the officer wasn't alone. Secondly, he fired his weapon after the taser was discharged. Also, the officer has been tased before and survived, as being tased is the usual to be certified to use one. Lastly LEO use specific holsters that have various mechanisms in place to prevent their weapons from being easily taken.

Just a terrible situation all around.

pgabriel likes this.
  9. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Yet you failed to respond subsequent replies to your post.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

#90 J.R., Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Corrosion likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Good post. A couple of things to add. In the video LEO Rolfe switches his taser from his right to his left hand as he's pursuing Brooks. Rolfe reaches for his firearm before Brooks fires his taser at him. That tells me that Rolfe had already made the decision to go to lethal force before Brooks even fires the taser at him.

Regarding the taser taken away that was LEO Brosnan. From the dashcam video it's Rolfe who is trying to control Brook from behind. Brosnan has already drawn his taser and appears to try to apply it to Brooks. He's holding it one handed while Brooks is still struggling. That's how Brooks gets hold of it.

12. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Yet all of that does not justify the use of excess force.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

While this information tells us who Brooks was it doesn't justify his killing. LEO are not prosecutors, judges or executioners.

What matters is the decision in the moment if Brooks was a threat to Rolfe, his partners or the immediate public safety.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Agree, he should still be alive but could maybe help explain why he was resisting/fighting, scared of going back. (Again, if true.)

pgabriel likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I agree that explains why Brook fought back. I don't fault the LEO for trying to arrest him. DUI is a threat to public safety. I also agree that Brooks started the whole thing by resisting arrest. The LEO were justified in trying to restrain him and probably would've been justified to escalate force on him just not clear if lethal force is justified.

joshuaao and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he might be scared. He's just seen video and is no doubt aware of other African Americans who have complied but were beaten or murdered by the police.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Oh please. Those officers were very polite to him

JumpMan likes this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

When a black person is killed. . . they are still put on trial to justify killing them

Rocket River

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I've yet to year anyone in the media mention a single word about that personal responsibility , haven't seen anyone else here utter a word either .... We're only having half the conversation that needs to be had.

There is no conversation to be had in the Floyd case - that's cut and dried. Straight up murder.

But in this and other cases ... their actions elicit the response. Fight the cop , take his taser , point it at him .... what the hell do you expect the cop to do ?! I find it hard to believe there is any backlash over this case and don't think there would be if not for the national narrative right now surrounding Floyd's death.

George Floyd and Rayshard Brooks are not the same .... not remotely.

Jayzers_100, jo mama and pgabriel like this.
  20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

not so much deserve as responsible