1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If You Take An Officer's Taser In Fight With The Officer That You Started, You Deserve Getting Shot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I saw a stat that 97% of police shootings are towards men. Maybe these popos are sexist.

tinman likes this.
  2. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

First post on ClutchFans where I agree with most of what you’re saying. Congrats

3. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

It's amazing how split this country is, and how dug in to their political stances everyone is when we can't even agree that this cop had a right to shoot this guy considering the circumstances.

You are going to be hard pressed to ever happen upon another situation where the cop is more justified than this one, so we may as well just say cops are never justified.

It is going to be tough to get anywhere in this country if we can't see obvious things like the Minnesota cop was wrong for what he did and the Atlanta cop was justified. If we can't all even agree on those things then how is a conversation even possible?

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

He got away?! They didn't shoot and kill him? They didn't "fear for their lives"? I am just SHOCKED!

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/loc...cle_4e65dbe9-da92-5203-b81c-a335ff0944b2.html

Tulsa Police Department says officers stopped suspect David Anthony Ware around 8900 E. 21st St. about 3:30 a.m. When a scuffle ensued, police said Ware drew a gun and fired on the officers multiple times.

Both officers sustained gunshot wounds and were hospitalized in critical condition.

Ware fled on foot from the area on 21st Street between Memorial Drive and Interstate 44, and police say they "are actively searching for him."

[​IMG] [​IMG]

:D

"David ware was in fear for his life and had a family to get home to."
    "Let's not jump to conclusions. Did the cop have any drugs on him? Did he make any sudden moves? David Ware probably feared for his life. Let's wait several months and then possibly indict him for 3rd degree manslaughter."
    "No need to prosecute...just suspend the shooter without pay"
    "Ware just needs deescalation training"
    "They shouldn't have resisted"
    "Doesn't feel good does it?"
    "The cops shouldn’t have put themselves in that situation"
    "Y’all sure the officers didn’t have underlying health conditions"
    "Paid leave for the suspect until he's found?"
    "Just make sure the suspect(s) get paid administrative leave until properly convicted"
    "Poor guy was most likely scared for his life when the thugs pulled him over! Put the shooter on paid leave until they determine otherwise"

#504 J.R., Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

He got a purty mouth.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The LEO that shot Rayshard Brooks is reinstated but charges haven't been dropped against him.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...fficer-charged-rayshard-brooks-death-n1266389

Atlanta board reverses firing of officer charged in Rayshard Brooks' death
    Garrett Rolfe was fired from the Atlanta Police Department on June 13, a day after Brooks was shot and killed in a Wendy's parking lot.

The Atlanta police officer charged with murder in the shooting death of Rayshard Brooks was reinstated Wednesday, but will remain on administrative leave.

The Atlanta Civil Service Board said in a five-page decision that the city failed "to comply with several provisions" of the City Code and "the information received during witnesses’ testimony" when it fired Garrett Rolfe.

"The Board concludes the appellant was not afforded his right to due process. Therefore, the Board grants the appeal of Garrett Rolfe and revokes his dismissal as an employee of the APD,” the decision read.

Lance J. LoRusso, a lawyer for Rolfe, said the reversal was "the first step in the total vindication of Officer Garrett Rolfe."

According to LoRusso, his client was defending himself after he was assaulted by Brooks.

"Officer Rolfe was entitled, both as an officer and a citizen, to respond to Rayshard Brooks' aggravated assault with deadly force," he said in a press release. "Officer Rolfe continues to look forward to the opportunity to prove that his actions were legally justified."

Brooks, a 27-year-old Black man, was fatally shot in June in the parking lot of Wendy's. Rolfe and Officer Devin Brosnan were called to the restaurant after receiving a report about a man asleep behind the wheel of a car in the drive-thru lane.

Dashcam and body camera video showed that Brooks appeared cooperative as police questioned him for more than 25 minutes. After he allegedly failed a field sobriety test, he struggled with the officers as they tried to arrest him, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation has said.

During the struggle, Brooks grabbed a stun gun from one of the officers and ran away with it. Officials said he turned around and pointed it at police and was shot twice in the back.

In an outline of the shooting, the board wrote that Rolfe fired his stun gun as he chased Brooks. Brooks responded by firing the stun gun he had and was then shot twice by Rolfe, according to the outline.

Then-Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard said at a news conference shortly after the shooting that Brooks "never presented himself as a threat" and appeared "almost jovial."

He said Brooks followed every instruction from the officers and was never informed that he was under arrest for driving under the influence.

According to the DA, more than two minutes passed when medical aid was not provided to Brooks. During that time, Rolfe kicked Brooks' body and Brosnan stood on his shoulders, Howard said.

Rolfe was fired by the Atlanta Police Department on June 13, a day after the shooting. In August, he filed a lawsuit against Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms and then-interim Police Chief Rodney Bryant.

Bryant was appointed permanent police chief Tuesday.

In the suit, Rolfe said he was terminated "without an investigation, without proper notice, without a pre-disciplinary hearing, and in direct violation of the municipal code of the city of Atlanta."

It also stated that his use of force "was proper and in compliance with Georgia law" and the police department's policies.

Rolfe asked to be reinstated with back pay and benefits. Last month, he took part in a virtual hearing with the board to appeal his firing, according to WSB-TV of Atlanta.

Rolfe and Brosnan were both charged in the deadly shooting. Rolfe was charged with 11 counts, including felony murder, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, criminal damage to property and violation of oath.

Brosnan was not fired by the department and was instead placed on administrative leave, even though he was charged with one count of aggravated assault and two counts of violation of oath.

The Atlanta Police Department said Wednesday that Rolfe will remain on leave until the charges against him are resolved.

"The Civil Service Board (CBS) has reversed the termination of officer Garrett Rolfe only on the basis that they were not done in accordance with the Atlanta City Code. It is important to note that the CSB did not make a determination as to whether officer Rolfe violated Atlanta Police Department policies. In light of the CSB’s rulings, APD will conduct an assessment to determine if additional investigative actions are needed," the department said.

Andre0087, tinman and Astrodome like this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh I remember this, so a bunch of dummies decided to burn down the Wendy's after that because it was the restaurant's fault it happened.
    yeahhhhh.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Cops shoot at people they find more threatening and they find men more threatening along with Black men. Also there are systemic socioeconomic injustices that create situations where Black communties are policed more.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Cops shoot/kill twice as many whites as blacks annually. Before you say blacks are not half the population, it's percentage of police encounters, blacks encounter police at much higher rates

Corrosion likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So it's ok that Cops kill whites too? Do you have boot-flavored ice cream in your fridge?

Some of you folks who hate minority groups against Police misconduct can't seem to grasp that the problem isn't that police are racist. Police are VIOLENT and suffer zero consequences 99% of the time.

That's Totalitarianism. EVRYONE should be against that.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Different subject. Not law enforcement's fault or problem

But if you want to talk about those issues, we have been trying to solve these issues through government intervention for sixty years. Government can't fix inner city dysfunction

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So your additional ASSumption besides my race is no police shootings are justified

We just had a long ass thread on the justifiable murder of a teenage black girl or the kid in Chicago

14. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

It might have something to do with committing more crimes as well.
    Police really aren't very violent though. They kill about a thousand people a year, give or take, and nearly every one is attacking them. There are 50,000,000 adverse police encounters every year, and almost all of them don't result in any use of force, because the people are not violent toward the officer or a third party. We focus on the tiny minority of cases where police violence occurs. Because that is the focus of the media and certain elements on social media, people are conditioned to believe that unwarranted police violence is rampant. It is not.

#514 StupidMoniker, May 6, 2021
    Last edited: May 6, 2021
    pgabriel likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Except that LEO are entrusted with the power to arrest and detain people and are given far more latitude to use force including lethal force and as such also have a duty to use that force responsibly. If you are concerned about the power that the state wields over the people an LEO is literally the direct agent of that force.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

I miss the days when conservatives actually believed in small government and personal liberty.... but maybe that just always a rouse. War on drugs.... no knock warrants.... Conservatives police state....

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes, if you're concerned about the government getting too much power and that power being used against you police accountability should be very important.

18. StupidMoniker

Yes, they are. My concerns with state power are not that the police are too violent in enforcing it though. My concerns with state power are the things the state is empowered to do and the things the state claims the power to do beyond the powers granted in the Constitution. I am not at all concerned about the police shooting me. I am concerned about congress passing laws that restrict my freedom and take my property and the police then enforcing those laws. The law enforcers are not the problem I have with the state, it is the law makers.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

So Congress passing more laws bad. LEO not accountable not that big of a deal?

Andre0087 likes this.
  20. StupidMoniker

Congress passing MORE laws isn't the problem. Congress passing laws that limit my freedom and take away my property is bad. Congress passing laws that say the state can't tax my income would be great. It isn't the number it is the subject matter.

LEO are accountable. Chauvin was convicted of murder. Amber Guyger was convicted of murder. Slager plead to federal civil rights violations with the underlying crime being murder. No one said anything about not holding people accountable, there just are not that many murderous cops to hold accountable. The police are not by and large too violent. To quote my own post, because apparently you missed the point and thought I was saying violent police should not be held accountable:
    "They kill about a thousand people a year, give or take, and nearly every one is attacking them. There are 50,000,000 adverse police encounters every year, and almost all of them don't result in any use of force, because the people are not violent toward the officer or a third party. We focus on the tiny minority of cases where police violence occurs. Because that is the focus of the media and certain elements on social media, people are conditioned to believe that unwarranted police violence is rampant. It is not."