1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If You Take An Officer's Taser In Fight With The Officer That You Started, You Deserve Getting Shot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jun 14, 2020.

1. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/14/us/videos-rayshard-brooks-shooting-atlanta-police.html

Timeline of events + graphic video

2. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

While it's my non expert opinion that the cop probably wasn't in immediate danger for his life, I don't believe he should've been fired.

It's reasonable to believe the suspect was a danger and an immediate threat in the split second that he turned the stun gun on the officer. The suspect not only evaded/resisted arrest, he wrestled away the officers weapon (stun gun). And now he was an even bigger threat. Could the officer have handled the situation better, probably... Maybe?

Hindsight is 20/20, as we saw the suspect didn't charge and attack after briefly turning and raising the stun gun. But in that split second it's probably very difficult to judge.

Possible solution to this scenario was probably having officers trained to shoot suspects in the legs, other than I really don't know what we can reasonably expect from law enforcement.

As to the two videos above, imo both defendant should have been shot as both were immediate threats to the officers and publics lives. Again shooting them in the legs would've been ideal.

3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

When your kid burns himself on the stove, will you blame the stove? This is where we are heading where nothing bad that happens to you is your responsibility in any way whatsoever.

Someone asked on the other thread what if your son was the drunk acting crazy with the cops. Any father worth a damn would struggle to forgive himself because he never taught and modeled for his son the right way to take responsibility for your actions. For that dude? It's the cop's fault. Therefore absolving him and his son of any responsibility.

That type of question is on the right track, though. We should think about what we would want for our sons, what we would expect of our sons. Are we going to teach our sons to resist the cops in this way no matter what? I think most of you guys would not accept the type of behavior from your sons that y'all are defending in cases like this.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  4. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Where was this guy going to escape to? Once he fired the taser he is effectively unarmed. The cops should have been able to easily run this half-drunk guy down. Not a good choice by him to run and resist but he shouldn't die for that decision.

FrontRunner likes this.
  5. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

A taser is supposed to incapacitate you. What I have noticed in videos like these is that they don't always work. Regardless, the idea here is that someone could easily take a gun from an incapacitated cop.

Corrosion, tinman and B@ffled like this.
  6. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I have a much bigger problem with law enforcement abusing their power and authority in minor everyday contact with the public, such as interactions with peaceful protesters, detaining individuals, conducting traffic stops, etc.

When law enforcement is faced with suspects with weapons or are actively combatting them, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The guy was drunk it is unlikely he would be able to hit a cop with a taser.

Who should be expect more from a drunk guy or cops?

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG] + [​IMG] = PGABS

Rocket River

Xerobull likes this.
  9. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I hate to say this but I agree, gawdemit

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Nobody should really comment until they read this timeline of events (if true... the body came unfortunately fell off so who knows... though i've only seen one bodycam, where is the other officers bodycam?)...

Once you read this timeline, though, you're like "ok, sure, yes, ok, i can see that this is starting to get justified, uhuh, right...... WHAT?!!?"

The jump from suspect is firing a taser at me - that clearly misses - to ok he's now running away again, time for me to pull out my gun and shoot him three times - is such a clear jump to crazy overuse of force there's really not much to argue, imo. MAYBE the officer should have pulled out his gun and continued chase (I'm not sure protocol there... do you want an officer running with a guy in his hand?) but at absolutely no point as the drunk suspect is running away with at most at that point an already used taser does the officer need to go directly to shoot this man in the back.

Whether that's murder or manslaughter, i don't know. But clearly unnecessary and speaks to the different types of reactions by officers seemingly in similar situations with white suspects.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

The cop did the right thing by shooting him. If the cop was immobilized by the tazer, Rayshard could have gotten his gun and killed the cop.

...and to everybody- do not fight with the police! Do not grab their weapons! If you do, it will not end well for you. How is this so difficult to understand?

AstrosRockets1818 likes this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Imo shooting wasn’t 10/10 bad .

but shooting 3 times ? I mean come on .

just clip him once in the leg .

13. ROXRAN

That is a good point , the fear of being incapacitated is valid hat I didn’t think of

14. ROXRAN

Or shoot him in the left foot at least

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

He could have hit anyone with it is the point

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That’s not a realistic option. They are trained to shoot center mass. Accurately shooting a moving target isn’t easy and hitting a specific part of that object is a video game standard.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

mid the cop had his gun out and shot as the suspect turned to fire taser at him, maybe sure.

that’s apparently not what happened. Instead suspect had already fired and missed with the taser and was now running away when the officer pulled out his gun and shot. At least based on the timeline provided in this thread.

in which case the officer fired when he was at no fear for his life.

moreover we’ve seen countless videos of folks marching around openly carrying rifles, guns etc of all kinds. Surely I wouldn’t be justified in shooting someone like that if they swing in my direction and I was afraid they’d point and shoot at me??

Nook likes this.
  18. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

I don’t the op will watch but he should.

#38 AleksandarN, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  19. Exiled

Exiled Member

I don't understand why the police are eager to arrest someone immediately! or give instant lynch

In middle East where they don't have high standards of human rights like China and South America,they will not chase a suspect or shoot but whenever they feel like it , they will go to the suspect's place and make the arrest

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If things were to happen correctly
    He should been alive and in jail cause he failed the sobriety test.
    Regardless. Burning the Wendy’s or any property was wrong and the arsonists should go to jail.
    People who work at Wendy’s are minimum wage workers and what if people were still in there?
    Good work.