1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

If you could move to any country in the world, which one would you move to?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 14, 2012.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Ireland. I've wanted to live there since I was a kid.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:cool: Not as "busy" as Sydney. I would not like a big city in another country. I would like to be in a smaller city, but still with the same amenities like national museums, same terrain, etc., as around the other big cities, but in a smaller scale. Also, it would be like Houston to Galveston, in terms of relation to the middle of the Texas country and close to the beach (within a few miles drive), but still in Australia.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

France - because I love the people, atmosphere, history, art, beautiful landscapes, and wine.

Spain - because it has my favorite food of any place in Europe, very nice people, and incredibly fun. I like the history of it as well, though I'd generally be opposed to Spain's positions in history.

4. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Berlin, Germany is on my bucket list.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Australia or Hawaii somewhere were its warm all the time. Hawaii is so far from the US it really should be its own country.

6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

switzerland

pretty nice all around. stunning beauty.

7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

just curious but why?
    have you spent any time there?

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

what kind of business?

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Cost of living there is RELATIVELY HIGH compared to almost any country in the U.S. and A. :eek:

There are little to no Mexican food places there. :( I would DIE without my fajitas.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

I know a good few people that are native Singaporean. All of them said it's boring as **** there. I've visited there and it's nice for a few days vacation, but I would imagine living there would be boring as well. It's so small and you see the same things every weekend. I do like its cleanliness and how everything goes by strict rules there.

I think I would like to have an apartment there. A place I can get away to for a week or something if life gets too crazy. Everything is so proper there.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That's a problem in a lot of areas outside of TX, and even in TX the farther north you go. You could always open a restaurant. It would kill- I say this from experience eating 'Mexican' food in a small town in N. Indiana where they mix ranch with the 'salsa', which is really just tomato paste and their idea of spice is salt and pepper.

12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

let say its like as small as queens. but you have an option to go to malaysia and indonesia in less than an hour

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

There are a bunch of other countries I wouldn't mind "trying out". It's not going to happen anytime soon, but if difficulty of move (actual move, jobs, regulations, etc.) and return trips home to see friends and family wasn't an issue, we would likely pack up and go.

New Zealand would definitely be on the list, however they, like Australia, currently prohibit the importation of pit bull "type" dogs. This isn't a big enough moral issue to me to stand my ground and not move there, but it is an actual issue, as I wouldn't be able to bring my dog.

I'm not very good with languages. I think I could get by, and technology of course helps, but I think the switch to an Asian language, for example, would be hard, and get somewhat annoying.

I could definitely see Italy or France. Seems to have good combination of nice lifestyle, beautiful geography, access to urban and country, mountains and beaches, great history and architecture.

14. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I already live here.

1 person likes this.
  15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not sure if I agree. Minnesotans do not know what good Mexican food is and tend to not like spicy foods. I do not think an authentic Mexican food restaurant would fare well here.

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

My choices are:

Panama
    Japan
    Sweden
    Hong Kong
    France
    Switzerland
    Ireland

Probably as I get older, but if I found the right opportunity I might go sooner.

1. Need a change of scenery and need meet more new people in the world.
    2. I've always had a dying need to at least, even if only temporarily, to live in another society of people.
    3. Lower crime rates across the board.
    4. I hear most of those countries have pretty good health care. Not saying the US has bad health care, but it is a tad bit expensive.
    5. Dating scenes might be better. Cannot imagine them being much worse.
    6. Alot of the countries have so many places to visit, that I've never seen before. That would be enjoyable.
    7. In most these countries, you don't necessarily need a car to get around or commute. Trains are known to extend beyond the local city limits.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My Minnesotan relatives disagree.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I lived in Singapore and still visit there often and I agree. Singapore has done a great job marketing itself. It is really nice visiting, great food, great shopping, great airport and anyone can drink the water right out t of the tap but after about awhile you start realizing how confining and repressive of a place it is.

Just to pimp my own credentials this is a link to an academic paper I wrote about it that gives some insight into what life is like for most Sinagporeans.

http://www.ced.berkeley.edu/pubs/bpj/pdf/bidl1407.pdf

Also one more thing about Singapore is that it is one of the most expensive places to drink at bars in the world.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And you would be wrong.

Authentic Mexican food doesn't play well in Lakeville but it is doing great in St. Paul and along Lake Street in Minneapolis. Next time you are up in the cities check out District Del Sol off of hwy 52 in St. Paul or El Mercado Central at Bloomington and Lake St. in Minneapolis.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Nope, just always been memorized by the pictures I've seen of the beautiful countryside. That's true for pretty much any part of Western Europe, I guess.

I do have a friend that moved there after high school and has been there ever since. She LOVES it.