1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you could amnesty one players' contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Jun 2, 2015.

?

If you could void one players' contract with no cap hit

1. Dwight Howard

16.1%
  2. Trevor Ariza

2.7%
  3. Terrence Jones

5.4%
  4. Joey Dorsey

68.5%
  5. Other

7.4%
  1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

This is sort of like asking who is the most overpaid player on the team.

Note Prigioni is only $440k guaranteed next year.

Payroll list

I would say Dorsey, which is amazing considering how little he makes. We just have very little fat worth trimming on this roster.

[​IMG]

#1 Commodore, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I agree with Dorsey (Papa is not guaranteed).

Testament to Morey da GM

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

What was the rationale for guaranteeing Joey's second year, again?

4. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Best defender in Europe!

No way that was true..

5. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Why Dwight and Trevor? They both played great for us, especially the n the playoffs.

6. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

If we amnesty dwight does that give the rockets enough cap space to give a max contract for a player that has been in the league for more than 7 seasons? A player like Marc Gasol?

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is non-guaranteed.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Correction, best center in Europe.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I would amnesty Steph Curry's contract and have him become an unrestricted FA.

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

The fact that there really aren't any real options here is a testament to how well Morey has done with managing the books and maximizing value, although to be fair I don't think that is quite what his detractors argue is his fault.

I don't even think you amnesty Dwight (who is without a doubt the most overpaid player simply because his contract is huge), because you can still probably trade Dwight to most teams in the league for a solid return. For instance, maybe the Knicks trade their first rounder for him. Maybe you trade him to Dallas in some sort of three way deal. Maybe you trade him for Tony Parker and some draft picks-- you get the idea. Dwight's not what he used to be, but he can still net you some assets in a trade. Amnesty would give him up for nothing. Now- if it's simply an amnesty that let's us restructure his contract? Howard, no doubt.

Other than that, you have to amnesty Dorsey- because he's useless. No trade value, contract isn't expiring yet. He simply takes up a roster spot. Still don't get why we signed him.

Here's an interesting thought- what if we could trade the amnesty to another team? What sort of nice deal could we get then?

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Matt Maloney

13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, yeah I know.. I mean I know we need threads to chat in offseason.... But DH and Ariza were important pieces in the playoffs.... I think this place gets a little silly once the offseason starts... Nothing against op.

Anyway... I'd take Dorsey though, no trade value and should only be on yearly low contract (if that).

14. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Can any players signed under the current CBA even be amnestied?

15. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Morey's work is even more impressive when you look at the top end on of the contracts while taking into consideration the upcoming salary cap explosion.

Howard: 2 more years at $45 Million with a player option next summer which in all likelyhood Dwight will exercise and hit free agency to cash in on one gigantic max deal to end his career.

Harden: 3 more years at $49 Million. Chandler Parsons money for James Harden production. The best contract in the NBA. That $80 Million extension after the trade was a huge bargain considering what we'll get for 3 more years at such a great price.

There is absolutely no excess or "fat" on the payroll. Even the the big contracts are great values going into the future and yet still manageable to where we can splurge big time next summer to add another superstar if we want to go that route. The flexibility is amazing and Morey deserves full credit for keeping this franchise in contention.

16. malakas

malakas Member

Νο.they must be in the team from july 2011. But even if it was possible I wouldnt waste the amnesty on any of the players since it can be exercised only once.

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Dwight Howard.....in about 3 years after he's signed an extension and starts to lose his athleticism.

For now, Joey Dorsey for sure.

18. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

This.. It is amazing how good Morey is in not overpaying for players. I still remember the Mochie Norris, Maurice Taylor and Matt Maloney's.:confused:

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

We didn't have any other back-up center prospects at the time, he was playing well in Europe, he was a valuable practice player with the strength to battle Dwight every day and replicate the same style of play.

We had a need and few options..... Supply and demand dictated he had to be overpaid. I think he could have gotten the same deal staying in Europe.

20. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Dwight Howard for sure. As good as he is, he is just too limited for a guy at his price.