1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you could add one former Rocket not named Hakeem

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Brown Lost It, Sep 28, 2016.

?

Which player would you add?

1. Dwight Howard

1.4%
  2. Kyle Lowry

0.9%
  3. Stevie Franchise

1.4%
  4. Ralph Sampson

3.3%
  5. Moses Malone

36.3%
  6. Elvin Hayes

0.9%
  7. Yao Ming

33.5%
  8. Tracy McGrady

14.9%
  9. Robert Horry

3.3%
  10. Clyde Drexler

4.2%
  1. dmoneybangbang

I think Otis Thorpe would be a good center in today's NBA. Defensively should be obvious... but offensively I think he could play above the rim off a Harden.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Moses. I saw Yao getting a lot of votes, and I loved the guy, but if you take Yao, you take his injuries. Moses? He was a madman who rarely missed a game and, during his prime, averaged 40+ minutes a game during 3 different seasons, all 3 while with Houston.

arno_ed and daywalker02 like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Kyle Lowry is the most likely option without the "IF".

If we play the IF game, then a historic big man.

4. Caesar

Caesar Member

I don't know too much about Moses...wasn't old enough. Highlight videos aren't everything especially for bigs, but I mostly see a big bully that got a lot of his own rebounds close to the rim, with not much else. Of course, i'm ignorant to how good he was and I don't know which game I can watch on youtube to really showcase his skills beyond those under the basket layups and offensive rebounds. For those reasons, I can't choose him to play in today's era where the NBA has done their best to remove bigs who camp under the basket.

Clyde I feel is just redundant to Harden. Would be really fun having two guys that could basically run the point, but the shooting wouldn't be there. I suppose if LeBron and Wade can work, why not Clyde and Harden? But, i'm more convinced T-Mac would be the better fit with Harden. Still, I prefer inside-out.

Yao got taken out of the game by the fast paced and small ball Warriors back then. Now the entire league plays that way. I don't think Yao would be good for today. I shudder at the thought of watching Draymond Green fronting Yao and being really rough with him and the refs letting him get away with it and Yao not getting angry and getting him back. My sweet gentle giant :( Sometimes you have to stomp on some people. Yao would walk away fouled out with sore nuts and bloody scratches all over his arms and face.

My choice I think has changed to Elvin Hayes. From what I've seen in highlights, his game would transition well. Very athletic. Great floor runner. High motor. Very willing to do blue collar work. From the looks of it, a nice mid range and post up game. Seems like Harden and Hayes just flows off the tongue nicely and I bet they'd wreck the league with their pick n rolls.

Disappointed to see Lowry and Horry up there but not Calvin Murphy or Rudy T.

I think the more interesting question would be if you could have 1 role player former Rocket to join today, who would it be?

I'd give Robert Horry great consideration, but my choice would undoubtedly be R̶y̶a̶n̶ ̶B̶o̶w̶e̶n̶ Otis Thorpe.

Thorpe as a C with these Rockets? Running up and down the floor? Those outlet passes. Those giant mitts for hands? The strength and intimidation of his size. The finishing at the basket. The stout defense. The rebounding. The strong picks. YES. OT #33

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I won't comment on your comment about Moses, except that he would kill it in today's league in the Rockets system, in my humble opinion, but I can address Elvin Hayes. Hayes was the reason I "discovered" the San Diego Rockets. They drafted Elvin with the #1 pick in '68 and he was Rookie of the Year. A tremendous player. Simply tremendous. The reason I picked Moses over Elvin? The locker room. By all accounts, Elvin was a royal pain in the arse as a teammate. Moses was terrific. Since we have a great locker room atmosphere, from what I've read, and both players are Hall of Fame big men, the choice was easy. Besides, Moses was Hakeem's mentor. That speaks volumes.

Caesar likes this.
  6. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

I understand that Moses is the best player on that list, but would he be the best pick for D'antoni's uptempo system? I chose Sampson.

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

I'm watching highlights right now. You can tell there's not too much footage of him, but the one play that really stands out is when he takes it from beyond half court and shows off his handles and behind the back as he drives to the basket for the layup. You can really see the ability for ball handling is there if coaches allowed bigs to trouble like they do today. He also looks quicker on his feet than I remember first seeing. No footage of him running the floor though. Was he a willing runner?

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Moses? He could run people into the ground if they were playing on dirt. ;)

Caesar likes this.
  9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Like me, others may not have seen Moses and therefor voted for Yao.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with that! Yao was a great player when he could play, and is a great human being.

Caesar likes this.
  11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The year we got Moses Malone, he was rocking 13.5 and 13.4. The year we got Elvin Hayes to Houston, he was going 25.2 and 14.6.

I voted for Moses, but I'm kicking myself because I knew (based on the OP's rules) that I was wrong. It isn't close and Elvin Hayes was the guy you'd want out there. Athletic, 6-9 and could play 2 positions. Had a TON of blocks once they started counting them. Now if you start talking about his second year on... you are right, but it's not a no brainer. Elvin Hayes was a monster and he got it done when the NBA was full of hall of fame big men and there were less teams so he was guarding them every night.

Big E never gets enough respect. Hall of famer, champion, top 50 to ever play the game and he hit the nba-ground running after being featured in the game of the century. Amazing player. I wish there was more tape of him.

split41, Caesar and daywalker02 like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It has been decades though but I also thought Hayes did not get enough respect and credit here.

13. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

Moses should be exempt from this list, auto-pick. For this pace and space offense, I think Ralph Sampson is a better fit. Runs like a gazelle, post-up, defence, play-making skills and clutch.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol yeah bummer we did not have too many guards that were MVP worthy and such beasts on Defense.

We could choose from Sampson, Elvin, Malone, Yao, *younger Dwight not even mentioning the Big O of Houston.

15. Caesar

Caesar Member

If Dwight Howard is listed at 6'11, so would Big E in today's in shoes measurements. Look at that wingspan!
    [​IMG]

Yung-T likes this.
  16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Thanks brother, people will never EVER talk enough about Big E. He's the foundation of that photo. (Dwight is the crack in that foundation)

Caesar likes this.
  17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Capela will never be as skilled as Sampson.

At the same time though Capela will be the same age next year (23) as Sampson was his rookie year. Capela should be a great great player for the next 5 years. The Rockets need one more top 25 player to go with Harden and Capela. Unfortunately I don't think it may be possible to get that player.