1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Yao shot as much as Tmac

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Toast

Toast Member

I think Yao needs to stay on the floor longer to get more shots.

Foul trouble takes him out of the game - and takes him out of HIS game.

TMac's averaging, what, 6+ assists per game and leading the team in that category? You can't really say TMac's a ballhog, though he does take over. I'm sure he'd love to dish a couple more to Yao every game. And we'd all love to see Yao score more. But I think the best way to do it is for him to get more minutes.

2. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Tmac and Yao needs to develop some chemistry. The "bullet"
    pass or bounce pass are not the best ones for Yao. I dont
    remember many bullet passes from Kobe to Shaq. Kobe used
    to penetrate and dish Shaq the "Barrett" pass.

3. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I know how you feel! It's frustrating

#63 KaiSeR SoZe, Jan 6, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  4. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

So one has to be able to "face up their opponents and take them off the dribble" to qualify as "create their own shots"? I know Duncan & Amare can, but don't recall Shaq could do that unless it's within 10ft of the basket. Yao was able to do that as well in the first two years, but that part of his game seems gone as he becomes a strict back-to-the-basket player.

5. supermagichero

Would you please do not quote his post?

6. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Well, there are plenty times he was not in foul trouble, but just couldn't get enough touches. Last night was a typical example. One play in the 1st qtr, he passed the ball out to Wesley(?), then immediately calling for the ball after reposted better position, but the guard just swam the ball away to the top. That got to be very frustrating. There was an identical play in the 3rd, but this time Yao got the ball back immediately, and he backed down the defender, scored on an easy dunk.

Well, Francis' had the similar stats last year, but took less shots, and everyone wanted to trade him. Yao should play more minutes, but for the minutes he got, he should had more shots. Maybe he should yell at someone's face to demand the ball after all.

#66 daoshi, Jan 6, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I remember there have been times when Shaq would get a rebound and dribble the ball all the way down court for a dunk on the other end. It didn't happen often, but it did happen a few times. Shaq is very athletic for how big he is. Also, Shaq uses his size to get great position so he doesn't really have to create a shot.

8. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I don't understand.

9. supermagichero

His post has nothing but emotional, immature and crazy bullsh!t.

10. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

:D

In the all star game? He even dribbled between his legs.

But if that means creating his own shots, then Yao is not bad
    at all. Remeber Glen Rice once said about Yao's driving layup.
    He only needed two steps from the 3pt line.

11. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Good point!

that is why i think we need some more offensive creativity. Some screen and rolls, high post plays etc.

12. superpro

superpro Member

Good point. Yao needs to be more determined and agreesive to creat his own shot. He's not a baby. People attributed lots of Amare's points to Nash. Actually the guy was a stud. He runs, fights for rebounds and spins. He created a lot of his own shots.

People are getting more and more frustrated with Yao because they see his potential and ability to do things they've been wishing for a great player. Yet Yao chooses to be a good player, just good if not bad.

13. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I'm sorry the only one holding Yao back is Yao! If we are EVER going to be a championship contending team Yao needs to grow a sack and force his way to stardom. Yao is the single reason we are losing right now. Let me repeat, YAO MING is the single reason we are losing right now!

This team has been disassembled and retooled based on the hope that Yao would become a dominant player. He has yet to achieve that level of play and has essentially kept the team and us the fans hostage. On one hand he has all the potential to be the most dominant player since Wilt Chamberlin. The only thing missing from Yao's game is that internal fire that goes along with true leaders. He has no self confidence.

Like I said earlier until Yao grows a sack we have no one to blame but him. Not Francis. Not TMac. Not even Van Grumpy(although I don't think he's the right guy for us)!

If Yao really wanted to take more shots he could easily do so. All he would have to do is show the team that he cares when he doesn't get the ball.:mad:

14. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Its true Yao is too passive and doesn't demand the ball but I still think the Rockets should force feed his ass and keep going to him even if he misses or turns it over. Let him get used to it. Get the guy at least 20 shots a game.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I only meant to say that we need more balance, and if one of our players is off, as Tmac was last night, we should try to ride the other horse.

I do think Tmac should be option 1 but Yao should be more like 1A and not such a clear 2nd option.

Something like Tmac 21 shots a game
    Yao gets 17 shots a game.

More balance..IMHO.

Yin and Yang

:)

DD

16. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

Put Tim Duncan in Yao's Place and he wouldn't have no troulble getting ball. Just like Scarface said , it all falls on Yao.

17. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

first of all nobody should be complaining if yao got as many shots as tmac because u know what he is the focal point of our offense and every team knows that. he does not possess the aggressiveness needed for a great post player. when he does not shoot its either because he turns the ball over alot or he just is not aggressive in looking for his shot.

18. fa7999

fa7999 Member

You disasembled the team by taking away the necessary components for Yao to be great (PG, PF, and outside shooting) and you expect him to dominate? LOL!

19. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Since Yao got here people were complaining that Yao was not getting the ball because Francis and Cuttino were ball hogs and that they were purposely trying to freeze Yao out of the offense. Cato was this very boards whipping boy for many many years. Now that these players are gone all of a sudden their departure is the reason that Yao has no internal drive?! Give me a break.

We consolidated three players into one dominant player to get Yao more open looks and touches...

20. stevenzh

stevenzh Member

First of all, Yao didn't get much open look and even more double team on him, and second Yao didn't reward more touches, pretty much equal to last season's shotting attempt. and he lost all the defence help.

I never call tmac was donminant player, he just another guy like shoot the ball and brick most of time, care his own stats more than the game, by the way, can he play any defence, his lazy legs and attitude really hurts the rockets more than anything else, that's why even orlando fans don't miss him at all or want him back.