1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If we're down to the Lakers Tuesday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shawndme7, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

We need goons to do that. Morris is the only goon on our roster, unfortunately.

2. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Wouldn't hurt to crank a lot of contested 3's and have a miracle 40-point 4th quarter the way the Magic did, too. Desperate situations call for desperate tactics.

3. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

It actually didn't, but Clutch hadn't put the game post up yet. Ill be busy at work this week so just thought Id post it up while it was fresh on my mind. ;)

Because like:cool: someone said HoChen combs the forums and passes on strategy to our coaches.

He might even get Chandler Parsons to shave

4. Shawndme7

You really dont you can use Tony Douglas and have him just grab dwight at halfcourt.

Or Fly in Tjones, Greg Smith, Youre not doing it 100xs. Youre doing it 5-8 times max. You can distribute that amongst a number of players.

5. Shawndme7

It wasnt a miracle The Lakers Defense was garbage. Slow on Pnr, Slow on rotations. Everyone--including Kobe. They just look lazy, entitled, and waiting for Nash to come back.

6. Shawndme7

Hes only shot over 50% once this season.

One game he was 3-4 and one game was a huge anomaly he was 15-19 vs Portland. You really cant see how hes shooting unless you put him on the line, and unless he's on fire...he's more than likely eventualy going to regress back to 40-50%.

From a moneyball perspective it makes sense. If the Lakers are shooting 45-50% from the field and Dwight is shooting 45-50% from the line...foul him. Cause each ft is only worth 1 pt. FGs are worth 2-3 points. You cnat do it all game, but you can start it early, see if theyll bench him (Dantoni really shoulda done that last night). Then bring it back in the 4th.

The one thing I hate about it is it slows down the game tremendously and one of teh Rockets strength is pushing pace after missed shots and turnovers/playing with energy.

7. MOFvsLOF

MOFvsLOF Member

Why? There's already a Gasol thread been going on. :rolleyes:

8. peter2012

peter2012 Member

He is awful on free throws every day, so we should use it. Probably this is only chance we can beat lakers until nash comes back.

9. mesta

mesta Member

Howard's play is very physical, he uses his body to push back defenders . I watched magic vs lakers , and how easy it was for howard to bump opposing center or scored one handed dunk.
    Fortunately we have asik who was strong and big enough to hold Jefferson and milsap for harden to slam wide open dunk. Howard would not have it his own way against Asik.
    Problem is Howard skilled enough to throw lay ups/shots over asik. That's how he was able to score in 6 consecutive possessions over asik in 1 qt of their first meeting.
    There are ways to stop this,
    1.Asik must never let howard have his back against him , Asik must stay in front of/besides howard.
    When he reentered the game in the 3rd quarter, Asik used this tactic i believe. and it was quite a success.
    2. If howard managed to get the ball and back Asik. I propose these tactics
    a, Asik must disturb Howard by using his arm to try to steal the ball or by putting his hands in the air. Point is to make the man beast uncomfortable.
    In the first game, Asik was very passive , and didn't use his hand. Cole Aldrich when he was in the game , managed to make Howard uncomfortable, as a result his shots didn't fall. But Aldrich was no match for Howard physically.
    b. send another player to steal the ball from howard

10. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

What's your problem? You go around monitoring people, telling them they're going to get reported and banned for trolling -- among other annoying stuff you do.

11. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Hack-a-Ho vs Hack-an-As? Sounds like fun.

12. nbafever

nbafever Member

I wanna see DMo tell DHoward: "Catch me if you can" and then take off on a fastbreak

13. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Oh I'd take Asik over Howard in a free throw shooting contest any day.

At least Asik and Destroy has good form, so you get the impression it will only improve with practice.

Meanwhile, Howard has been shotputting free throws for what, 8 years now?

14. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

I'd take Asik over Howard as a player on my NBA team...it's all about attitude and teamball...f.u.c.k a few less or weaker numbers here and there...in fact asik will soon produce better numbers than Howard anyway...

15. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

I suspect lakers will be in even worse shape with Kobe and Nash playing together...:grin:

16. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Heh, keep telling yourself that.
    (don't get me wrong, I freaking love Omer. But still...)

Anyways, allowing that Dwight is good for a 47% clip (0.94 points per possession) and the Lakers sit at about 1.08 points per possession, it's a totally reasonable strategy that can gain you 2 or 3 points as long as your fouls hold out. Basically, you can do it for half a quarter, but not a whole game.

But if Dwight reverts to his career average of 58%, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

17. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I thought Nelson has retired from the league.