1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IF we do get Dwight Howard, other FA possibilites?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketaggie89, Jun 3, 2013.

1. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

? That actually sounds like a viable strategy. IF we strike out on D12/CP3, an alternative option to JSmith (for those who don't like him) is to offer Bynum a $15M contract, w/ a 2nd yr team option @ ~$15M or so. I actually think he'd turn it down because he can get a better offer elsewhere (like a 3 yr deal). If Bynum is back in health, WOW did we just get sorta a steal (and will be in the top of the west). If he busts, we just don't pick up the option next yr and then wham, we have our full cap space again for summer of 2014 FA. This is similar to the "trade a few assets for Pau Gasol" idea. Again, viable alternatives to JSmith, assuming D12/CP3 already signed elsewhere.

2. Know Your Role

I thought about this, but who would take him?

3. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Standby for a Pacer upset.

4. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I actually like the idea of playing the Twin Towers Howard and Asik. After we get Asik, I would try to get all our FAs back for the 2.6m room exception and vet. Min.: Anderson, G.Smith, Delfino... Probably can't get Cisco back.

In the scenario that we want to trade Asik after getting Howard, I would do a straight up S&T with Atlanta. Means Josh Smith would come for < 11m (not max). Josh wants out of Atlanta, and may take a pay cut to join his friend Howard on a championship contender. Atlanta have shown interest in Asik in the past and would do it because it's better than just letting Smith walk for nothing.

Plan B

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    J.Smith
    Howard

Could make a run for the title.

5. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

If we do get Howard, Morey should absolutely try his best to pull out a S&T for Josh Smith. The more I think about it, the more it feels like a match in heaven, and I would even like to overpay to get him here...

Guys, think about it, after signing Howard we are aiming at a championship. What are the needs that we should fill to have a better shot at winning?
    1. A big wing defender who can give trouble to our most outstanding opponent -- Kevin Durant and Lebron James.
    2. A solid starting PF who can defend the 4's in the paint while not clogging the paint on the offensive end.
    3. (If we trade Asik) Paint protection, shot blocking, rebounding and finishing around the rim when Howard is off the floor.

Josh Smith is the answer to all of the above, while providing additional P&R offense and small ball compatibility. The guy is not a Max player, not even a good 2nd star on a good team due to his inefficiency in creating offense, but his versatility makes him a perfect option as a 3rd/4th player on this team. Even his FT slump becomes less of a disadvantage since Howard will be hacked first anyway.

Chris Bosh and Kevin Love are perhaps better players than J.Smith, but I don't see them fitting in a role as a third wheel better than Smith. There's only one ball to play with on offense, and you always look for better defense whenever possible.

Asik + T.Jones S&T for J.Smith, ~12.5mil x 4years, plus giving him a player option for the last year. Player option is given in exchange for the lowest salary possible, T.Jones sent as a bonus in exchange for Atlanta's cooperation. I like Asik and T.Jones, but let's position our team for the best of a championship run!

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

THIS. Been saying that for weeks; see my post on the prior page. In complete agreement. Makes perfect basketball sense for all involved.

7. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

Lol that would be so bad

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

Keep Asik. A big man rotation of Dwight, JSmoove, & Asik would be the best there is in the NBA.

Can the non-Bird exception be used to sign and trade a player? If possible, find a third team to take on Brooks.

(Brooks, Jones, White, Smith, Anderson, and Tim) + 5,000,000 = min 14,659,056

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Granger is just the means to the end. As an expiring contract that gets you cap space a year sooner. Laugh all you want but flexibility and pragmatism is Moreys MO.

10. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Just say no to Granger.

11. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

Josh Smith is a terrible chucker, if you try and keep him out of the paint you're just playing 4v5 on offense. No thanks, this team doesn't need a Perkins.

12. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

97% of the 3 pointers Josh Smith made last year he was assisted on.

Think about that for a second.

13. Rokman

Rokman Member

If we get Howard:

1. Asik + Lin --> Rondo "Mr. Triple Double" (Celtics are gonna blow it up anyway)

2. Josh Smith will force a sign and trade to Houston. Give up T. Jones, G. Smith & Cash Considerations + Future Draft Picks

2013 - 2014 Starting Lineup

P.G. - Rondo (Playmaking & Defense)
    S.G - Harden (Playmaking & Offense)
    S.F. - Parsons (Playmaking, Offense & Defense)
    P.F. - Smith (Playmaking, Defense)
    ..C. - Howard (Defense & Offense)

I'd like to see someone top that starting 5.

14. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Think about the Josh Smith / Harden Pick and Pop with Howard on the other side of the floor. Josh Smiths man will most certainly have to follow Smith out to the mid-range (which he can hit consistently within the offensive flow), while Howards man has to decide to collapse on Harden or leave Howard open for the assisted dunk. It's too easy. Josh Smith is a chucker because he has never played with a good point guard and has often been relied on to create offense (which is not his strong suit.)

In our offense, he will not need to create offense, we have plenty of those. He needs to run the floor, finish at the rim, play excellent defense, and be able to be enough of a threat , that the opposing PF can't leave him open for the 3 (which he has proven to be able to make.)

bev, harden, parsons, smith, howard is going to be magic. Top 5 defensive team.

15. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

If you lose Asik to get Josh Smith you NEED another backup center that will fill in while Howard is sitting.

Jermaine O'Neal?
    Samuel Dalembert?
    Chris Kaman?
    Timofey Mozgov?
    Jason Collins?
    Nazr Mohammed?

Or would it be better playing DMo as the backup Center with Terrence Jones backing him up? (shot blocking from the weak side). Even if you pickup one of the above guys they could be an insurance policy for DMo sucking.

In terms of guards:
    Anthony Morrow?
    Marco Belinelli?
    Francisco Garcia?

If you get any of the above for vet minimum, you take them and put them on your roster.

16. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

I wouldnt consider David West a role player. Dude is an all-star.

17. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

I love these type of posts.

18. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

~lol~

19. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Parsons will be our 3rd star. I'd like to get josh smith though.

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Smith
    Howard

IMO that's the best starting 5 in the league. At least on paper it is.

20. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

I agree, that starting 5 is the best in the league. Need a decent bench to compete though.