1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If we can get a good center in the draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hydra, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Hydra

Hydra Member

We can try to trade Cato to the Kings for Hedo. Vlade is getting on in years, so they will soon need to replace him. Scot Pollard is okay but they will probably need to platoon someone with him. They have Peja at the three, so they really don't need Turkey Glue. If we can survive with Griffin, Taylor, and a draft pick at the five, then this should solve our small forward problems. Of course the Kings are pretty high on Hedo so we might have to sweeten the pot with us throwing in Kenny and/or a draft pick and them matching salary with Chucky Brown or something.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No way does Sacramento do that deal. Many Kings officials believe that Turkoglu has All-Star potential. They wouldn't trade him for a mediocre-at-best center (below average is closer to it).

To think, Turkoglu went #16 in the 2000 Draft. The player selected immediately before him . . . Jason Collier. :(

3. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Taking Ming out of the equation, who is the best center in the draft? Is that player Marcus, Borchardt, Stoudemire...who? Next, who is the best center available through trade? Is that player Haywood, Mihm, Diop, Doleac, Ostertag (just kidding)....who? How can we draft or trade for that center without emasculating the team? Rudy, CD, get us somebody who can defend the lane!

4. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why would Sacramento want to make any trade?

5. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

kings would not do this. why change what works?

6. Hydra

Hydra Member

Because Vlade is old. If the Rockets had traded Hakeem when they were being offered Christie and the pick that turned into McGrady or whatever it was that the Raps were offering, we would be a better team right now. If the Kings looks around the league, they will see what happens if you dont make trades while you are still near the top. Look at the Rockets, the Jazz, the Heat, the Knicks, etc. Pollard is good in garbage time or as a power forward, but he is not the answer by himself at the 5. Now maybe a platoon with him and Cato would be better. In addition, the get Kenny to back up Webber, who is better than Funderburke, they get a decent draft pick, and they still have Peja and Gerald Wallace at the three. I live in NorCal so I get to see plenty of the Kings. Peja is their MVP, so he gets a lot of minutes, as does Webber. That doesn't leave a lot of PT for Hedo. Not to mention that they are really high on Gerald Wallace who finally gives them someone who plays above the rim. I am not saying that they will make this trade, only that it would be beneficial to both teams to do so.

7. lpbman

lpbman Member

KT for Gerald Wallace

straight up

8. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I live in Sacramento. Turkoglu is a big part of the reason they are an elite team. Pollard could do fine starting. Webber is servicable at the 5, so they could just use Funderburke off the bench. The Kings play an 8 man rotation; they never use more than one big man off the bench unless foul trouble is involved. I am a fan of both teams, and I can say with confidence that there is no chance that the Kings would give up a potential star forward for a very average, very overpaid center.

9. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

lpbman, I hate to burst your bubble, but the Kings don't want a backup PF. They have one: Funderburke (three if you consider Hedo and Pollard can both play time at the 4). They like Wallace as much as you do. Why would they give him up?

10. lpbman

lpbman Member

Better than Cato for Hedo

But you're right I don't think KT has near the trade value I thought he would.

Maybe a 3 way sending Kenny to Toronto and sign and trade Keon to the Kings?

I do like Gerald Wallace