1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If there really is no Asik trade...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkHorse, Dec 19, 2013.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Are you new to the NBA?

For a vet member you seem pretty ignorant about it. I'm shocked

Sam Dalembert couldn't even get a deal longer than 2 years and that's just because he's lazy. Imagine trying to convince fans and an owner on signing Asik for $25 million again?

Will they say he's a hard worker or will they say he quit on his team and sulked?

As a GM in negotiations you tell me what you do?

2. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Plenty of time for Omer to record a cover of Justin Timberlake's Bringing Sexy Back.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Les would be willing to pay it, I'm sure, for a productive Asik. For an Asik who plays 10 minutes a game, I think he'd be less happy to, especially if he can flip him for a swing man who'd play 20-30 minutes.

Asik had been willing to play because the Rockets told him they'd trade him. Now, they're renegging.

No, he shouldn't refuse to play. Rockets would suspend and fine him for not honoring his contract. But, he can fake injuries. He can play like crap. He can cause tension in the lockerroom. The Rockets would know what's up, but can't suspend him. Other teams would know what's up, but would still be willing to take him if the price is right. They'll know as long as Asik is starting at center, he'll be a good soldier.

4. torocan

torocan Member

Les is a self-made Billionaire businessman.

If it's a good business decision, he'll have no problem eating the money. If he thinks it's not, I'm sure he'll let Daryl know.

In the end, Les is looking at the big picture. If winning the big picture means eating some time with a disgruntled Asik, then he'll do it and won't lose a wink of sleep.

Guys like Les make multi-million dollar decisions every day. He's not going to sweat $15M if he thinks the reasoning is sound.

5. psingh34

psingh34 Member

you mad bro

6. jmcleod

jmcleod Member

What would the response be on these boards if Morey accepted a pupu platter for Asik, would he be roasted as a terrible GM also?

Asik is one of the few legitimate starting centres in the NBA and Morey was right to not pull the trigger on a lopsided trade.

It's a shame that no matter what he does some people will simply blast him around here.

7. psingh34

psingh34 Member

i think rockets have a better chance of signing love in 2015 with lin and asik coming off the books in the tune of 16 million total than getting some players now and try to trade them

8. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

But if your plan all along was to let the season run its course with Asik then you made yourself look stupid by throwing out a fake deadline. Also other teams arent obligated to this deadline you set for a disgruntled player YOU owe 15 million next season. It just doesn't make sense going public when there's no real serious interest in Asik.

My worry is other GM's are starting to resent Morey's over the top tactics. Remember that GM who recently called Morey delusional for asking too much for Asik? Hopefully Morey isn't getting to cocky

9. Yellow

Yellow Member

Good move, glad Morey didn't become desperate. Would be funny if that smile that Asik cracked last night will be turned around on friday :)

10. JuanValdez

I'd feel a lot better about everything if it was Paul Milsap he was turning down instead of Brandon Bass. The problem is not that he didn't pull the trigger on that trade; the problem is that apparently that trade was the best offer still on the table today. The poor bbs has gone from hoping to trade up for Alridge or Love, to being okay with Milsap, to maybe stop dismissing the possibility of Thad Young, until finally applauding we didn't trade for Brandon Bass.

11. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

This is good news to me. Would have been a desperate move. Asik needs to man up and play for the team still paying him 8 million dollars this year. The team needs him and will be playing him some significant minutes coming up. I was not liking the idea of Smith being back up 5 for a significant amount of time. That had disaster written all over it.

12. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Unless your goal all along was to show Omer how seriously you took his trade request, but also to illustrate to him how he had painted the team into a corner and that trading him just isn't/wasn't feasible.

13. CertifiedTroll

Morey best tell that asset to stfu and play ball. Jk. But some serious.

14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

A player that pouting his way to the bench for an entire season is not going to enhance his position in any way.

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Asik's not going to propel a Boston or Philly anywhere.

I was a staunch supporter of TT because I was a staunch supporter or Asik. I still do want him on our team. But I do not support his position toward the Rockets. He should be the best teammate he can be.

16. JuanValdez

I'd say 'We'll see.' But we might not. While I think Asik would be well-served by pulling a Quitten, he may have too many scruples to actually go through with it. Maybe he will be professional about it, play hard, and stay quiet. But, I won't be surprised if it breaks the other way.

17. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

I wouldn't expect the best effort or performances from Asik if he does get playing time but we'll see.

18. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

You win some battles, you lose some. Morey isn't going to get the best end of every deal. Last season he had leverage on OKC Thunder, they couldn't re-sign Harden, Jeremy Lamb and K-Mart were not demanding to be traded.

Morey has no leverage on the Celtics. No leverage on the Hawks. He might have some on 76ers because he knows Sam Hinkie, but Philly WANTS to tank and blow itself up at the end of the season anyway.

19. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

So this whole December 19th deadline was just to teach Asik a lesson???. I'd hope Morey isn't this shallow. If anything having Asik on the team hurts chemistry. Anytime you have a player who's unhappy sitting on your bench its a huge distraction. Realistically, Morey overplayed himself with this one. He didn't have to make a huge commotion and could've just layed low until the19th. By announcing a deadline and leaking fake rumors to draw interest he just made a spectacle of this. I suspect the other teams part of these 'fake rumors' don't appreciate their players being openly talked about in trade rumors.

20. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

I'm starting to wonder if the Asik "pouting" thing was blown way out of proportion.... Just remember how he played in Memphis in the 2nd half, shutting down Zach Randolph, a major factor in the come from behind win... If Asik accepts the bench role, I truly believe his defense alone can turn games to the Rockets' favor.

The old adage- Sometimes the best trade is the one that isn't made.