1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If The Wolves Don't Improve, Garnett Wants Out...Would you offer TMac?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Aug 9, 2006.

1. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

the grass always looks greener on the other side ...

2. blackistan

blackistan Member

I would do it in a heartbeat but i doubt minnesota would cuz of t-macs back. Just imagine our frontcourt with kg and yao

3. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Who takes the last shot in the fourth quarter? Who brings up the ball against pressure? Who runs the pick and roll with Yao?

Kevin and Ming are both players who play very differently, and yet have the same mentality at the end of a game; to set their teammates up to get the win. It's the downfall of most of the modern post players who aren't able to take advantage of the soft perimeter defense rules.

Neither Garnett nor Yao have a refined sense of "the moment", that innate quality that allows players like Kobe Bryant, Allen Iverson and Tracy McGrady to throw up difficult shot after difficult shot and just knowing that they'll get hot eventually and those terrible heaves at the basket with a defender draped on them are going to find the bottom of the net.

Ming and Kevin both create high percentage, easy looks at the basket, which is why their field goal percentages are always so gaudy. Yet, these looks are far and few between in crunchtime as teams double and triple down, and the speed and intensity of the game picks up. (Purely anecdotally, I have no evidence for such a fact) Both Yao and Garnett seem to pass up opportunities for themselves if they create a better opportunity for a teammate, and while such a quality is truly admirable in glue guys such as Shane Battier, the sucess of an NBA team is dependent on one player dominating in the clutch, forcing the issue and taking and making low percentage shots, becaue that's what winning star players do.

Kevin Garnett is a fantastic player, extremely fun to root for, and a dream power-forward. Yet I doubt that bringing him in and pairing him with Yao Ming is any way to strive for a championship. It isn't value, it isn't injuries or age, it's simply mindset. I do believe that Garnett would work extremely well with McGrady; the ultimate emoter with the Big Sleep...though trading Yao Ming is out of the question.

Here's a more pertinent and more difficult question: how long until Kevin Garnett stops getting a thread dedicated to him during the summer?

I'll put it at 10 years, conservatively; because in 2016, people will still probably be thinking about him for the Veteran's Exception, remembering that "KG used to be pretty good; and even though he was forced by injuries to retire in 2014, people would still be thinking: "he's still got something in the tank, even if he didn't play for a year." Besides, who wouldn't want to play for the Houston Rockets? We've had the best shot at a championship for at least a decade out of all the other teams! Management is so incompetent! Why don't they leak out every single deal they might possibly make, in order that they piss off the current players that don't actually get dealt, as well as lose all bargaining power. We should be able to trade our bench scrubs on long contracts whom we hate to division rivals and teams fighting for the same playoff spot as us, because that's what a good GM does! We don't want established veterans; give us some rookies and stop trading away our draft picks! Why are we signing rookies to long, developmental, cheap contracts? We need tough veterans who know how to win, not inexperienced summer league stars!"

What was I talking about? Oh, right. T-Mac for KG; nah.

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Trade kicker.

5. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Well, think of it this way. No team in the NBA has a dominant center and a dominant PF. None. Which means that if we did indeed trade T-Mac for KG, all of the other team's game plan would defintely need to be changed drastically. Should we double team Yao and risk KG open or vice versa? Or double team both and let Steve Novak bomb in from the three-point land?

But I don't think the Timberwolves would want T-Mac, especially with his injury-prone back. KG is about the only thing that's holding the entire franchise up, and if T-Mac's back goes bust in Minnesota, there will probably be a riot there. So from my point of view, I would say yes, but I don't think T-wolves would do it.

6. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

Ya if the Wolves are having a fire sale i'd take Ricky Davis first.

7. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Maybe that's one of the reasons we picked up Battier, as he will easily slide over to the SF position when we do this deal next February?

8. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

So? You can still trade a guy with a trade kicker.

9. mrmrdan

mrmrdan Member

Forget all this nonsense. Why not just trade Yao for Garnett??? If the TimberWolves are looking to rebuild, they're not gonna build around an injury-prone 27year old guard. Makes more sense for them to build around a relatively young big man with loads of potential. Having Garnett would make the Rockets an instant contender because as of now, he's more ready to handle the work load because of experience. Plus he's got an all-around game to complement Tracy's. Also Tmac's value is at an all-time low while Yao's at a high, so the Wolves are more likely to agree to this deal.

10. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

exactly. In a way, I think KG is the ultimate second option, and yao ming is also a second option type. They are both dependable, but not clutch. Battier, Yao and KG would be a crazy frontcourt though and no one would get into that lane. Ironically, I kinda think JVG's defensive style and grind it out play would work better if we had KG instead of tmac. Teams that couldn't shoot from the outside would be doomed, because no one is going to want to face yao and KG in the paint.

11. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Yao for KG :cool:

12. Champ06

Champ06 Member

I would not trade Yao for KG but I think Yao for KG make more sense than McGrady for KG. However, I will still stick with McGrady and Yao.

13. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

To add to what HI Mana said: In the era of zone defense, it just isn’t ideal to have your two best (and only) offensive options at the 4 and 5 spot. You have a guy like Yao scoring so many of his points close to the basket, it kind of negates Garnett’s quickness and agility in the post. People complain about Yao clogging up the paint, not allowing McGrady to penetrate, well this issue gets pretty bad when you have Garnett alongside Yao. His offensive game is relegated to jump shooting, and perimeter defenders who would normally be concentrating on McGrady are ignoring the Snyder’s and Alston’s, denying entry passes to Garnett and Yao. Basically we can’t maximize Garnett’s offensive talent, and that makes him a less efficient player on the court with Yao.

Same reason I was against trading Glen Rice for SAR’s huge contract 3 years ago.

14. VicVictory

VicVictory Member

No way I would trade KG for T-Mac. Based on the fact that KG doesn't have that "take over" mode like a Kobe or T-mac. Too many times I've seen KG in late game situations where he doesn't demand the ball enough and looks to set up his teammates too much. It's not exactly a bad thing, but when it goes down to the wire, your best player needs to put the game in his hands to get his team over the mountain.

15. Honey Bear

FYI: Yao Ming is untradeable. Not for Duncan, not for Garnett. Only possibility is LeBron.

16. Champ06

Champ06 Member

In this case, McGrady for Lebron will make more sense than Yao for McGrady. I think we had lately been talking too much about 'Dream' :D

17. Honey Bear

But why would Cleveland even consider that?

18. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Any two of the three superstars will work together well.

Garnett has plenty of shooting range and is an excellent offensive (and defensive) rebounder. He and Yao can work the inside/ouside game well.... KG isn't a real low post player anyway. He can post up, but I think he looks better facing up and driving. Last season, Stromile shut him down pretty well in one game I saw. Also, 70% of KG's shots are jumpers, a more SF/SG like shot selection. He acutally played some SF back when they had Rasho and Joe Smith at the 5 and the 4.

Again, I figure it's pointless to think about TMac for KG right now... First, no way they trade KG until well into the season. By then, either TMac will be healthy (and there is no point in trading him away) or he's not (and MIN won't even want him at all).

19. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Exactly. That's why I think we had lately been talking too much about 'Dream'. ;)

20. Champ06

Champ06 Member

IMHO, Yao and McGrady will be either a dynamic duo or dynamic bust come next season. This basically meant both have to be healthy to be dynamic duo or injury prone to be dynamic bust.

The Rockets clearly stated that the team is about Yao and McGrady, and what changes is the role players. So after next season, nobody will even talk about trading McGrady because every GMs in the League will know whether he is either healthy or injury prone. This is the risk Rockets is going to take and there is no other choice. Healthy McGrady, IMO, is better than KG and a injury prone McGrady will only get you a mediocre star player if Rockets is lucky.

We had to accept the fact that Rockets are going to stick with McGrady for better or worst. Basically, I believe McGrady will be healthy come next season as stated by McGrady, himself, and Keith Jones. This is sufficient proof for me on McGrady's health.