1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If the Rockets were "kinder, gentler, always keep and overpay role players"...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Feb 7, 2011.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

... Would stars be flocking to sign with us?

Much has been made over the past few years regarding our management's alleged dissing of our players. And that players around the league apparently hate us now. So my question is, will stars suddenly decide to feel like Houston to be a prime FA spot if we started to "treat players right"?

If Morey incorporated a "if we had given out millions of extra dollars to T-Mac, Landry, Brooks, etc. we'd have gotten a superstar by now" calculator, would he be a better GM?

2. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

There would be less money to sign free agents.

The things I would consider first are the salary, city, teammates, coach, and how the organization treats their players. If one stands out it would definitely change my decision. Of course the pay matters, but if everything is around the same and it's not Toronto the way the organization treats players is important.

If I were a star, the way they dealt with McGrady would give me a negative image of the organization. The Brooks thing is just two PG's who deserve playing time, but one demands it because it's his contract year. I doubt anyone remembers the Landry dilemma, but maybe I'm wrong and word goes around.

#2 BEAT LA, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL I think you know the answer to this. Rudy T and CD went this route when they paid Steve Francis, Mobley and Kato obscene amounts of money.

4. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Just an apologist for mediocrity. What is so stellar to toot your horn about our organizations current practices?

5. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

yep, i think they would.

with what happened with tmac, wade voiced his opinion about it. and tmac's on friendly terms with most of the best players in the league, so im sure they wouldve sided with him. not to mention how the medical team and trainers of the rockets suck.

and then there's those contract dealings that dragged on with deke, landry, scola, lowry and now brooks.

this publicly voicing about how the org treat players as assets instead of people would rub some of these players wrong.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mcgrady in Orlando=McGrady in Houston= Soft, quitting, diva.
    Pippen in Houston= Soft, quitting, diva.

Ask Moses Malone, Hakeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler, Calvin Murphy and Rudy T what they think about Houston. You know, the guys that put their hearts on the line, and stood up for their teammates.

7. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

You can include Bullard as well. He was shipped off as part of the failed Robert Horry/Sean Elliot trade. Bullard was pretty angry about the whole deal, but apparently got over it and is back now as a color guy for the team.

I wonder how Horry feels, though this was under a much different front office.

Personally, I don't care to see a kinder, gentler front office. Thats how you end up signing guys like Moochie Norris.

Do some of you even recall those teams and how bad some of this days were?

8. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

kinder, gentler, calm, fitter, healthier and more productive, a pig in a cage on antibiotics.

1 person likes this.
  9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We'd be screwed by the salary cap.

Great players play to win. Do you think LeBron or Bosh chose Miami because of how they treated Aaroyo or Haslem? Hell no, they chose to go there because it gave them a chance to win. Just like Boston, Orlando or LA.

We are lotto bound with like end in sight. Even if we paid our player 2X market value that still wouldn't impress a player looking for a place to WIN.

BTW, these guys love think the Rockets are a fine org.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

**** that again

#9 REEKO_HTOWN, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  10. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'm not aware of players around the league hating the Rocket organization. I think the Rockets try to deal with all their players in a fair and equal manner. It makes me laugh when people complain about the way T-Mac was treated by the Rockets. The Rockets bent over backwards to appease the childish T-Mac, but some people still see the Rockets as the bad guy. Every year players all around the league become free-agents and restricted free-agents because teams choose not to sign a player before the end of their contract, so the policy the Rockets have in place is nothing unique.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Extension or not, organization needs to find a way to deliver thier policies without affecting the play on the court.

12. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Anyone who thinks the Rockets didn't treat TMac fairly is a moron. There's only so much crap you can take from a career loser like TMac before you decide he's not worth it.

13. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Funny how only the mentally challenged let it affect them on the court. Lowry and Scola sure never looked halfway r****ded on the court. Guys like Battier have even publicly said that they don't like the policy but he still gives it his all on the court because he's a true professional.

1 person likes this.
  14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The only player whose play seemed be affected by the organization's policies is Aaron Brooks. So, what is the particular policy that they needed to deliver in a different way?

15. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I have very little issue with the way the Rockets handle extensions or contract negotiations. My only issue with Rockets organization and Morey in general, is that he waits for the perfect deal to materialize which leaves players out to dry for quite a while. Scola and Battier have already made it known that it does bother them and can be a distraction.

I understand players are just commodities/assets but they are also human and if EVERY deadline Morey dangles out his whole team to try and upgrade the squad, players will eventually crack. Their trust in the organization and performance will show their displeasure. It worked out fine last year because he got his man and it may again this season but players around the league do see this and know the rep Morey has gotten for being pretty cut throat.

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Starting spots should be guaranteed for life, apparently.

17. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

One thing is for sure. Charles Barkley ain't a fan of the Rockets' Organization.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Wise guys, eh?

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I doubt Morey's attitudes affect us very much in attracting stars, though it does certainly seem like CD had much better luck pulling in guys than Morey has had so far. I think that's due to a combination of Hakeem Olajuwon and good fortune.

It might affect us a little with signing role-players, for whom getting used as a trade chip is a reality of the job. Stars aren't as accustomed to being treated like assets, so I doubt they think about it much.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

When a guy like Battier comes out and makes comments about it, I think its an issue.