1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If the NBA gets its way, this season was pointless.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ZRB, Apr 1, 2001.

1. Miggidy Markell

All I can say is that with zone defence that will be the capper to me. I will personally assisinate David Stern!!!! [​IMG]

------------------
    "Drexler wins the tip to Eddie Johnson........BAAAARRKKLEY! That's as high as I have seen Charlie jump, since about 1986" Comments made on a putback slam made by Charles in the 98 play-offs against Utah.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

HEYP

How will the Defensive 3 seconds affect the
    zones

I think ISOs can still work
    look at the way the Rockets run their
    ISO.
    4 mean on one side and 1 on the Iso.
    4 5
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d

[simple 3-2 ]
    depending on the passing of the 1
    This would make EXCELLENT plays for some
    nice Back picks for open looks
    3 and 4 can pick for 2 or 5 to
    get open shots [3's at that]
    require a GOOD skip pass

hell if you get some good pickers
    you could make some nice alleyoops over
    the zone
    3 - flash to the middle to draw up the back D
    and the then the 5 back picks the back d man
    on the weak side while 4 goes for the alley

How will this effect offensive rebounding?

Rocket River
    talking like he know something

------------------

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

While we all know (hope?) you were joking, I don't think you should be typing that kinda stuff... for your own sake.

Just call him PURBIS. That's what I do... [​IMG]

------------------
    "So you say you want some intelligent responses? I say give me something intelligent to respond to." -- Dimwits beware, B-Ball freak tells it like it is. Sing it bro!

4. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

HeyPee, if with zones, offenses are run through a good passing post, do you have any impression of Collier's passing. One thing that stood out to me, watching him play limited minutes, was that he passed the ball quickly when he wasn't going to try a move to shoot the ball. Other things about him weren't so good, but that caught my attention several times. Of course, he was originally at Indiana. Thoughts?

------------------

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I like Collier's passing and picking. It looks instinctual for a big man, like he doesn't have to think about it.

Moe, I don't mean to imply High Post passing will become the in thing. I was just saying that a quality high post passer in a motion offense is more disruptive to zones than a PG, imo.

Rocket River,
    My opinion is the league will be dominated by newly invented zones, based on the principles of match-up zone strategies.

It's like Stern is stupid to tinker with something to try to prevent high ISOs, when instead he is going to unleash a monster into the league that will shut down the low post.

6. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Allowing the zone is a complete joke.

The NBA is about entertainment. If you take away the illegal D rule, then you are stripping the fans of what they truly want to see, the matchups. The Garnett vs Duncan, the Kobe vs Vince, and the Francis vs Iverson.

There is nothing wrong with the NBA, and I have no respect for Jerry Colangelo and what he's trying to do.

If they make new rules, they better be minimal.

------------------

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

My problem is that Jerry's interest is so d*mn selfish
    he cannot get a quality big man so he
    wants to change the d*mn rules. . .
    he benefits more than most

Rocket River

------------------

8. Hydra

Hydra Member

Aren't big men one of the most important roles in zone defense. I would think that the teams with no inside presence would benefit the least!

------------------
    "We messed with the Bull, and we got the horns." -- Larry Brown "quote" from AirBullard.com

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Hydra

Big men are the most important piece to any defense/offense, period.

But, just like on offense, speed, athleticism and teamwork can make a winning combination, with or without a big man. Sure a big man helps a great deal and is the most important piece, but to stop Shaq zones can front him with a little man hile having any big thug leveraging his body behind (except Cato!).

That's what I mean by inventing new defenses. The league has tremendous athleticism. Can 3 players guard the perimeter while 2 double team the low post superstar and deny him the ball. I think so. I've seen Temple do it.

Zones can deny the ball to the low post...is that what we really want?

ugh...the thought of zones really depress me.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited April 02, 2001).]

10. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Players will never be allowed to show their full potential if zones are allowed. It limits what they can do, which is why you see many unheralded college players become stars, and do things people never thought they could.

The zone would be a major step backwards....

------------------

[This message has been edited by tacoma park legend (edited April 02, 2001).]