1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If the Lakers weren't in LA...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsFan11, May 5, 2009.

1. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

Would they be getting so much love? Yes I know they won 65 games, but seriously, after watching last nights game what is so great about them?

Kobe is Kobe. Will take tons of shots to get his stats.

Gasol is good, but soft. Push him around a little bit and he'll fold.

Odom is a streaky and sometimes lazy player.

Bynum is severely over-rated and no match for Yao.

Fisher is old and slow, his backup Farmar is nothing special.

Walton, Ariza, Powell, Sasha V are decent role players, nothing more.

I don't see any reason why we cannot beat this team.

2. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

I've thought this all year.. It's still the Kobe show..

but no one reasons with me.. they just say "dude.. lakers are good man."

Yes, they are.. but the Rockets can match up with them pound for pound and hit for hit.

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Need you say more... 65 wins is not a good season it is a great season. Kobe is at least the second best player in the league. The only weakness for the Lakers is they are more a finesse team better built for the regular season than the playoffs. The Rockets on the other hand are better built for the playoffs. But the Lakers won't rollover and in the words of Adelman we have to win it and not hope they lose.

They reason I think we can do that is the lakers took over and lead 74-73. That's when they were supposed to pull away and crush us. But a funnny thing happened on the way to their route. The Rockets didn't believe that they were supposed to lose. So they Rockets can win this series and with a little luck and a lot of heart they will. But it won't be because the Lakers are nothing. On the contrary the Lakers are great. They just happened to run up against an even greater more hungry team!

4. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

till the playoffs they were the best team who had the best player and alot of depth.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Being in the top media market certainly helps but to the Lakers credit they have established a winning tradition. I mean you don't see the Clippers get that much attention. While the NBA like every other major sport wants to have champions come from major media markets its more important to have marketable stars, for instance Lebron in Cleveland. If all of the current Lakers players and Phil Jackson were in Sacramento I think they would still be media darlings, maybe not as much as now but commentators and casual NBA fans would still be riding Kobe's jock.

6. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

probably because they have the best collection of talent on a single team in forever?

7. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

On paper it looks like Rockets can hang with the Lakers

The problem they people thought they would have is the fourth quarter. The main concern for this team was getting someone to score when shots arent falling. They were able to do it for game one so hopefully they can continue.

They got 4 guys they go to in late in games. Artest and Brooks are streaky players. Scola is great PF for us but still limited. Yao has been taken out of games.

8. jianingw

jianingw Member

Exactly what i'm think. they aren't that special. why the hell couldn't we beat them?

Orlando is special? we swept them in reg. Cleveland? we humilited them on our court.

i don't see why we can not win the champs

9. blender

blender Member

The Lakers are the best team in the league. That doesn't change because we won Game 1.

However, they also have their weaknesses, and give credit to the Rockets for thoroughly exploiting them. I think Walton's injury is especially hurting this team, because their role players were badly outplayed last game.

10. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Guys... don't base the Lakers from what you saw last night. It was a complete fluke of what they have been all season. Fisher makes his wide open three's as does Ariza. Kobe isn't usually that cold... Gasol missed wide open mid-range jumpers that he normally makes.. Odom also was out of sync (his mid-range game and inside game). Honestly, they didn't play well at all.. that wasn't the 65 win team from this season. You will most likely see that team in game 2.

11. jackie_moon23

jackie_moon23 Member

This thread and others like it are making us look ignorant really fast. Guess what...the Lakers played a crappy game last night. It wasn't like both teams played well. We played great and they played sub par. If you've watched L.A. much this season, you'd know that doesn't happen often. We're still at a major disadvantage in this series. Nothing has changed since before game 1, except the fact that they're gonna come out even harder now in game 2. I'm tired of seeing posts like this quoted on LakersGround forums. You'll see what's so great about them when Kobe and Pau combine for 60 and we're going back to the drawing boards. Sorry for being a dik, I'm just pretty supersticious and want karma and the basketball gods on our side. ;)

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Can we beat them? I think so. It doesn't diminish the fact that Kobe has more good nights than night like last night. The Lakers are that good but so were the 81 and 86 Lakers also. Fortunately for us there isn't the 81 or 86 Celtics waiting for us on the other side.

13. Ashes

Ashes Member

We win Game 1, so that makes the Lakers nothing special? They're arguably the best team in the league. They're a nightmare to guard. They're deep. They have one of the two best players in the game. They have a huge team.

Don't get ahead of yourselves.

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

They have been the best sports franchise over the last 30 yrs. They also won 65 games this year, but I guess that doesn't matter.

15. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

They did easily beat the Jazz

We havnt seen the real "Lakers" yet .. but I still think we can beat them.

16. zerhoe

zerhoe Member

they won 65 games.

that speaks for itself.

their problem is they're finesse. the rockets are a 'better' playoff team because of the D and toughness. our strength can take them out of their rhythm. but that's not gonna happen every game.

17. Mr. Space City

lakers swept us in the regular season

18. Electro

Electro Member

agreed.

perhaps.

but i do expect them to shoot better...
    while still having some offensive troubles.

19. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Wow lots of positive attitude around here for once, I love it. This is starting to get extremely fun...go ROCKETS!!!

20. imatexan

imatexan Member

lol!!!

Not even close!

Come on now,really!?