1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If the draft pick were to happen now...........

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by fa7999, Dec 22, 2002.

1. slinslin

slinslin Member

Amare Stoudemire

Damon Stoudamire and his borther Salim Stoudamire of UofA.

There is a difference.

Why are there probably 2 Okafor's Emeka and Uche in the 2003 draft? Okafor doesn't seem to be a popular name. Why, why why?

2. foodworld

foodworld Member

Stoudemire like Webber? From what I've seen, I can't imagine him spinning in traffic down the lane and finishing with a finger roll - or even hitting a 15' jump shot. Against the Celtics, most of his shots came from weak-side dunks. If he's being compared to Shawn Kemp, I don't think he's much of a post player, but he should have the athleticism jump over/around anybody.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That was just a joke. But seriously, Okafor is a common Nigerian name. Those guys are of Nigerian descent.

4. Live

Live Member

(Sonic version) Kemp had better footwork than Amare, which is understandable considering Amare's inexperience, but Kemp wasn't much more refined than Amare is now. Kemp didn't really post up much, and did most of his damage turning, facing, and literally jumping over people a la David Robinson.

The only thing Sonic-Kemp had over Amare is greater shooting range, and I'd actually say that Sonic-Kemp was the better defender among the 2, especially in the post.

But I do agree with you, Amare is more similar to Maryland-Wilcox than Sonic-Kemp, or CWebb for that matter (no way Amare handles or passes as well as CWebb).

5. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

Mike D is the most disappointing draft choice....so far a bust.

6. slinslin

slinslin Member

Amare has a really nice spin move already. No reason why he can't devellop it to Webber's level.

He is a legit POST UP threat. He is pretty much unstoppable in the post already. Whenever he gets the ball inside he either gets a good shot, or most of the time scores and/or draws the foul. He is good enough to demand double-teams already.

7. ewfd

ewfd Member

I see Dunleavy becoming a solid 2 guard of small forward in the future.

He reminds me of Brent Barry.

All he needs is some playing time.

8. Jaybird

Jaybird Member

:) 3 months younger to be exact; I wish Wilcox could get more consistant time, I think he'd be showing a lot more this season. Although it's hard to argue taking minutes away from Elton Brand. I think Wilcox may be in an interesting position in the comming offseason, he coule easily be moved somewhere else, to fill some other void in their roster.

If Sterling takes out the pocketbook and give Brand the contract he most likely deserves, I wonder what it would take to aquire Wilcox, in reference to any team not just Houston in particular.

9. mj230

mj230 Member

i dont think stoudamire is anywhere near webber offensively. cant pass, shoot and handle close to the way webber can.

i think gooden and butler will be good pros but not allstar calibre.

i dont think nene hilario will be any good. he needs alot of work and i dont think hes got the heart to go with his athletic talents.

dunleavy will be marginal at best.

dick vitale will always subjectively lobby for the college veterans.

10. mj230

mj230 Member

1 yao ming

2 jay williams

3 amare stoudamire

4 skitza

5 gooden

6 dajuan wagner(he needs to understand the team concept)

11. mj230

mj230 Member

jason kidd is the best point guard in the league.

he makes everyone on his team better players and that says alot. its crucial. its not about individual statistics.

every team in the league would be better off with him. period.