1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If the Battier trade never happened..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rofflesaurus, Jul 6, 2007.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If Battier trade never happened:

The Rockets would have finished in 7th or 8th position and would have been out in 5 or 6 games ....

Battier was one of the MAIN reasons the team held it together during the time Yao was out.

Battier is a good player....a quality NBA player.

DD

2. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Wrong on so many points.

1. When was the last time a team went to the playoffs, not made it past the 1st round and became NBA champions? Winning a playoff series and gaining the confidence and experience is almost a pre-requisite to winning a championship. Even if you lose in the NBA finals, or conference finals, or even 2nd round, that experience is invaluable.

Losing in the 1st round accomplishes almost nothing.

2. Before and After? We've had 1 season of Shane Battier. The real test will be the length of their careers. Rudy Gay is a much more athletic player than Battier. And what's this teams biggest weakness?

3. I don't know what cognitive onanism is but the Rockets had the opportunity to draft Gay - and many people wanted the Rockets to draft Gay. If I gave you the 6 winning numbers for the lottery and you choose you different numbers, that's your own fault.

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

yes, I totally agree, in opposite land.

Battier invented pimping, well, technically, he invented a time machine, went back in time, invented pimping, then came to the future. KEEP SHANE

4. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

I told you guys last summer, there is no argument vs. Mr. Intangible. ;)

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

One problem with Battier is that so many people build him up as to more than he is, and then other critics will start bashing him for not being able to do what delusional supporters claimed he could do. I like Battier. Memphis still sux and Rudy Gay's career is still way too early to be judged.

Playoff success is the most important thing though, and whoever said only 1 team succeeds is just wrong. The Jazz didn't win the championship, but made huge strides. The same can be said for the Warriors and in the East, while the Cavs do suck, they succeeded beyond general expectations.

Battier for better or worse, is the 3rd or 4th best player on the Rockets. Gay clearly has the potential to be better, but Gay was not nearly as consistent last year.

6. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

Well said...esp the part about not only 1 team succeeds...im a battier fan all the way..i think without him this year we would have been a 40-43 win team MAX..he had some huge defensive games and some nice offensive games as well..i think he hit 5 3's in a couple of games this season but with that said...gay could not do that for us so early in his career he just isnt that nba ready yet..maybe 2 or 3 years..i think the trade was perfect

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I can't stand Battier for the soul reason that so many people ride his jock. I wish we could trade him for Mr. Tangible.

8. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

no one is riding his "jock" the truth is truth he is far more valuable and better than pavlovic, or rudy gay as of right now.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Shane Battier orders his iced tea sweetened, then scares the sugar out of it, just for fun.

Shane Battier doesn't watch TV -- TV watches him.

Shane Battier once got assessed a flagrant 2 foul for knocking Ron Artest on his a$$ -- with a nasty thought.

Shane Battier plays golf using mafia hitmen as clubs.

Shane Battier drinks SuperGlue.

10. krockets

krockets Member

Man, I can't believe ppl still think Rox would draft Rudy Gay just because the fans wanted him, as mentioned million times before, he was not the guy we would draft if we haven't traded for Battier...

It was either the Theobaxxx guy + Swift, or Battier...

I would prefer Battier anytime of the day..

11. RoxandRex

RoxandRex Member

we need to wait what battier can do for the rockets, we can realize the importance of Battier when the rockets win in a playoff series..

12. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Does that really make you feel better?

Memphis might have another down season but my guess is that Gay makes it to the 2nd round before the Rockets.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You've been wrong about these things before and will be again.

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Really? Who are the Grizzlies going to trade him too?

15. The Hungarian Rocket

:D :D :D

16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

We will realise how significant Battier is by what he can bring us in a blockbuster trade. Till then we hope that he will flourish under Coach 'A' :p

17. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Good quality, reliable, nothing special. Basically, he's a...

[​IMG]

18. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

They're re-aligning to the East? Congrats!

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if the battier trade never happened, gay wouldnt have been drafted. Sefolosha was the guy the rockets were eyeing i believe

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

That is not worth a lottery pick.

With the lottery pick they should have been aiming for an entry level Acura, Infiniti, or Lexus atleast.

Rudy Gay who could have been a Rocket might turn into an M3.

M3 vs. Civic........Errrr...that's pathetic.