1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Schaub is the starting QB next season...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TMAC3, Mar 13, 2014.

1. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

2. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I won't be that disheartened. He's the best option available without ruining what little cap we have.

The only thing that will piss me off is if Schaub is still running the team next year and we don't spend a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round pick on a QB.

4. pocketrocket81

All I know is Schaub is a very good Qaurterback when given the time he needs in the pocket. Take away that time and his decisions go downhill quickly. The offensive line needs to be addressed and maybe Bill OBrien can help turn things around for Schaub.

5. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

When Schaub had time - he proved he couldn't win the big one. Whether that be during the regular season or in the playoffs.

It's clear Schaub can't lead a team to the Super Bowl or even a AFC Championship game.

It would just suck to know from the start we have no chance again next season.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Quoting myself from the other Schaub thread....

tl;dr - If Schaub does not take a pay cut and broker a trade somewhere else, he will be released, at the latest, by March 2015. Barring injury, he will not start another game for the Texans.

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Schaub is the passive version of Romo. He starts I'm done watching Texans games. I'll just wait for Rockets season to start I refuse to let the Texans waste my time.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We have bigger problems than starting QB right now. Schaub is a top 25 guy, easy. We literally have 1 guy on the dline right now. We're not winning many games next year, get over the QB situation and hope the front office can carve out a future for us starting with this year's draft.

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Am I the only one that laughs at the "cool! oh wait.. it's bleacherreport" tag, every time?

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

If you're not winning games next year, may as well draft a guy like Mettenberger or Aaron Murray and let him take the reps.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

thank you. you must spread some rep around before giving it to Ziggy again. we are missing 4 of our front 7 on defense and 2 of our 5 offensive line positions. not to mention we have no nickle corner, which is an imperative in today's NFL.

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Noted for upcoming season.

13. jbasket

jbasket Member

Superbowl: you heard it here first. Just saying.

14. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Ziggy, I'll say those other problems are huge as well, but QB is right up there with them. Schaub could not make some of the passes last year. Whether it was due to injury or it was mental, he was costing us games.

Worst case scenario, we keep Schaub and draft Blaine Bortles #1.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm certain we'll draft a QB at some point, probably day 1 - but that doesn't mean he should have to start. If you had to rank our positions right now QB is a C-. There are a ton of F's on this roster right now. And there's no depth whatsoever.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Of they are rebuilding I don't care if they keep him as an asset. As a franchise QB? **** no!

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

If schaub stays might as well trade Andre and get rid of Foster/Cushing/JJ/Manning basically every veteran who won't be in long-term plans. Next season try to tank again for Winston or whatever because lord knows we are getting nowhere with Schaub

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

...then we will have a worse season than the last.
    Look on the bright side. Another top pick!:rolleyes:

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I don't have a problem with it. It's not like he's going to be viewed as a long term solution at this point. We're going to draft a QB. Probably at #1. Schaub's role would be as a veteran presence/possible placeholder a la Kurt Warner starting in front of Eli Manning.

You can't look at it as if it's his job for the foreseeable future. He can't win the big one? Doesn't matter anymore. The team isn't ready to win the big one right now and Schaub won't be here when we are. His job isn't to win the big one anymore. It's going to be to keep the seat warm and impart his vet knowledge on whatever rookie QB we draft.

He was a very good QB for a pretty good amount of time. I think he's never fully recovered from his lisfranc injury which further limited his already limited physical capabilities. But that doesn't mean he can't be a good mentor. He's certainly had more success in the league than any other FA QB we could've gotten.

So I don't have a problem with him being a backup/vet mentor or even a starter at the beginning of the season if the rookie isn't ready to go day one (again, like Eli Manning). He's been more successful than any other QB we could've gotten and can still probably play better than them too, even in his declining state. Financially, you could save money by cutting him but then you still need to give another vet QB a contract and you don't end up saving much. Texans would've broken even if they'd cut Schaub and signed Cassel or McCown. If Schaub restructures, it would've been cheaper to keep him than to cut him and sign a comparable vet (doesn't matter now since we're not going to get a decent vet QB at this point).

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

What's wrong with that? The QBs next draft are better.