1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Rockets don't do well next season, Van Gundy could be the first to go?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Champ06, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Champ06

Champ06 Member

What do you guys think? If somehow Rockets doesn't make through the 1st round (knocks wood), what will be JVG status after next season? Will he be given another chance on the context that the bench is still not deep enough and basically there are only three proven starters, that is, McGrady, Yao and Battier? Alston is debatable as a starter.
    Link= What is your opinion on the injury-prone Houston Rockets?

2. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

No doubt about that! If the Rockets don 't make the playoffs JVG is the first that should go! But, I think this season we could make it to the Western Finals! So JVG, don 't screw it up with this team!

3. compucomp

compucomp Member

Sam Smith is known to be full of ****. Just because you agree with him doesn't mean his words have any value.

4. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Read before you commented. Where did I said I agree with him? Don't read with your eyes half closed.

5. kingkow

kingkow Member

its not could. It is MUST

6. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

If the team is healthy and doesn't do well then I can see how JVG can end up on the hot seat. That being said, if this team is healthy, it won't be a problem, this team will be in the middle to the top of the west, I expect them to be somewhere between 3-5 when the playoffs come around

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Throwback team? Sam Smith has no idea of what the Rockets are trying to accomplish this offseason. I also don't question Tracy's offseason work ethic. The article is garbage.

JVG is history if we don't make the playoffs. If it's a first round exit, his status may depend on the circumstances.

8. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Bad news for Van Gundy haters... nothing Sam Smith predicts ever comes true.
    ;)

I've been trying to make him write an article that says there is no chance Tyra Banks and Heidi Klum will do a 3 way with him. He's not answering my emails, though.

9. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Amazing. So you still think first round exit is somewhat a success and JVG deserves a chance to be rewarded with an extension?

10. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Oops, I mean "with me" not "with him"... I need my coffee. :D

11. opticon

opticon Member

I dont hate jvg but if rick adleman gets the axe after loosing in the first round after puting up a decent fight againts the spurs. Jvg pretty much has no chance to keep his job is he does not atleast make it to the 2 round of the playoffs and win or put up a serious fight.

12. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

You guys are all insane. The only players coming back from last year are Yao, T-Mac, J-Ho and Head. We have added a lot of young, new, unproven faces to the roster and you would so easily blame the coach if we get knocked out of the playoffs or don't make it at all? Thats pretty narrow minded and short sighted if you ask me.

13. Pocket Rockets

Well considering that he pretty much built the supporting cast by his recommendation of players, i wouldnt necessarily say that is narrow minded....

its pretty evident that he has had enough time to create a winning atmosphere and a playoff caliber team, even after bringing tmac aboard.
    if you consider 1 playoff year followed by 2 non playoff seasons as short sighted and narrow minded then you might want to have your eyes checked.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Like I said, it depends. Some first round exits could be OK, some are not. Here are two extreme scenarios:

1 If the team is relatively healthy all year and we end up #8 and lose to the top seed, JVG is outta here. Bet your house on it. If healthy, this roster should win more than 50 games for sure. If we slip in at 43-39, forget it.

2 If we win 63 games and end up the #1 seed, but both Yao and Tracy get injured the last week of the season, JVG might stay.

IMO, it's too hazy right now to predict something like this. At this point in time, I'm with you that a first round exit sounds awful.

15. MandM's

MandM's Member

Isn't VGundy's contract up after next season? No playoffs he'd be out anyway.

Bad start (first 25 games) and he will be fired. Mark it.

16. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

This is the biggest pile of crud article thats completely based on stereotypes.

But then he says Yao would be better off in an "attack" offense presumabely he means like the Suns. Huh? I can't think of any more ineffective way to utilize Yao.

17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I say we dont even wait for the end of this upcoming season.

FIRE GUNDY NOW!!! :mad:

18. streetx613

streetx613 Member

if we dont make the playoffs at all, then i reallly hope that van gundy gets fired
    but if we make the playoffs and get out in the first or second round we should keep him.

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Im sick and tired of people talking about the way the NBA is heading. Last time I checked Miami, S A, Det, and Fakers had won rings in the previous years. They are all half court teams that could play D

20. AXG

AXG Member

I think the article is fairly accurate. I feel JVG is too much of a control freak and that the Rox need to push the ball more. The few times we did push the ball last season, we did well. Considering JVG's going into his 4th season as head coach and we've yet to make the 2nd round, I say he's already on the hot seat. We have talent and barring another injury filled season, we should be top 5 in the West. Remember before last season began, we were ranked 2nd in the west behind the spurs as title contenders, before the injuries happened.