1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If not for Pistons, Rockets may have had 6th pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 4, 2001.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Unless the Rockets have given up hope of getting Webber(which I've not heard that they have), there is no way that they'll keep all 3 picks, because they'll need as much cap space as they can get. I'm still curious though, about the hint that Oeilpere dropped on us involving New Jersey.

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/012807.html

He also said that CD would sell his wife's new dinette table or more to get into the top 8. Based on Oeilpere's posts, I can see us sending all 3 picks to Jersey for the #6 & maybe a KVH for Cato swap as well.

Oeilpere,

How about some more insider info for the little people? [​IMG]

------------------

2. Hottoddie

Heypartner,

If you were Vancouver & still wanted to move SAR, would you do this? Trade the #6 to Houston for their 3 #1's, then turn around & send SAR to Chicago for their #4 pick? Maybe throw in the #13 pick if Chicago balks or do you think Chicago would even ask for an additional pick? It looks to me like this would benefit all three teams.

------------------

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Hottoddie, I am a huge advocate of sure things in drafts. I would be very hard-pressed to move a sure thing this year for an unknown pick next yr. The way I look at it is this yr's #6 is better than Vancouver's unknown pick next yr. imo, the known quantity of this #6 pick is even better than next yr's Vanc pick plus the #13. So, at best, Vancouver is landing the extra #23 out of it.

For me, that is not enough to move from a sure thing to unknowns. I think a lot of GMs believe this too, and that is why we don't see too many trading down more than a few spots.

So, I would not make that trade. I would not trade a #6 in a top-loaded draft for the #13, 23 and a next yr.

Another known quantity is SAR. They very well could land a 3,4,5 or 7 out of him. Hell, they might be able to trade him to Detroit for the #9 and release from their obligation next yr. Who knows? I just don't think this 3 for 1 was necessarily going to happen.

4. Hottoddie

Either I'm missing something here or we're misunderstanding each other. What I was talking about would leave Vancouver with the #4, #13, #18, & #23 picks this year in exchange for their #6 pick & SAR. Are you saying that you don't feel that the 3 picks from Houston would be worth the #6 pick? I guess they could then package the #13, #18, & #23 picks for another deal or just use them all. Would Minnesota give up Sczcerbiak for 3 mid to late first round picks? I think I've got too many questions. Where's Oeilpere & Doc Rocket? The natives are getting restless.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Hottoddie (edited June 04, 2001).]

5. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

EXcuse me for interjecting, but that is a good deal for both teams imho of course!

------------------
    I eat nutria now..courtesy of mc mark!!!

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Hottoddie,

Yeah, I wasn't even considering your trade. Don't you see that if I wouldn't have done the real rumor one (which has more value for Vanc than yours), why ask me if I would do a lesser value one?

7. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

I hope the Rockets know what there doing when they trade up. It would be pretty sorry if they did what Milwakee did in 1998 (Milwakee traded #9 and #17 to the Mavs for #6...#6=Robert TRaylor....#9 and #17 = Dirk Nowitsli and Pat Garrity. Ouch!)

------------------
    President of the Pete Chilcutt Fan Club.

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Exellent post. I think I would rather have 3 firsts in a deep draft than just one 6th pick. If I can't get Eddie Griffin, Kwame Brown or Eddie Curry then I would just as soon keep our current position.

------------------

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Or battier right?! We've got to get one of these four if you ask me. By some miracle I think it will happen. Even if we have to make agreements with teams in the top 7. Things should fall our way.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I'm so confuse-ed!!!

My problem with keeping all three picks is that...

1. It creates depth problems. We would be stuck with contracts like Cato and Williams and others we would HAVE to unload to make room for the guaranteed contracts of first rounders. What if we were unable to unload contracts? In order to make room on the roster for guaranteed rookie contracts, we would be forced to waive players like Williams, Rogers, Bullard and maybe even Norris to make space.

2. It causes cap issues. One of the reasons I'm sure the Rockets would like to unload picks is to avoid being burdened with 3 guaranteed rookie contracts. Not only does it put into question our cap number this year, it ties up money in 3 unproven players for 3 years. One is a safer investment.

------------------
    The internet is about the free exchange and sale of other people's ideas. - Futurama

11. Hottoddie

I gotcha now. Thanks for pulling my head out of my...uh, well, never mind. [​IMG]

------------------

12. ArtVandolet

ArtVandolet Member

The more picks you have, the better the odds that you'll get a good player. I'd keep them all because I don't see a trade-for-able pick that is going to be a sure-fire pick. Draft for the future and spend the $ on proven FA(s). And I really hope Rudy and CD don't pick 3 seniors - just because they are seniors.

------------------